Off Off Topic: Cool Toronto People's Thread

Would governments continue to use tax dollars to Subsidize sports teams if they didn't think it was profitable and beneficial to their cities in the long run?

In theory citizens have a fixed budget for entertainment -- thus if they weren't spending their money for tickets and merchandise they would spend it elsewhere in the local economy. I suppose some teams are a tourist attraction in their own right and therefore bring money into the city but how common is that?

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Zach6668

• serge

• Babying

• FCP Bob

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As you may or may not know, Otto has a disability (Autism). He has cope with it very well and imo has made great strides in his development. We (my wife and I) went through alot during his primary s

At the beginning of all of these revelations, Ford's allies and councillors tried to sit down with him privately, and urge him to look out for himself, to get help, and to come back stronger than ever

Heavy Rescue Squad 331. Beaten up, soaked, and with bellies full of smoke. Best job in the world.  

In theory citizens have a fixed budget for entertainment -- thus if they weren't spending their money for tickets and merchandise they would spend it elsewhere in the local economy. I suppose some teams are a tourist attraction in their own right and therefore bring money into the city but how common is that?

I think an NFL team in Canada would be a tourist attraction.

I think an NFL team in Canada would be a tourist attraction.

I think this is true too to an extent. So weigh out the tourism dollars, I guess, against the negative externalities of road congestion, further promotion of single user vehicle dependence, etc.

Are there other events that take place in football stadiums? I know there are a few huge acts that can sell them out, but I can't imagine a lot of non-football entities are clamoring to book 60,000 seat stadiums. The only thing, is that if it were an open air stadium, Toronto could finally host a Winter Classic. That's one event every 2-3 years tops. Hell, maybe they even make it once a year, lol.

I think this is true too to an extent. So weigh out the tourism dollars, I guess, against the negative externalities of road congestion, further promotion of single user vehicle dependence, etc.

Are there other events that take place in football stadiums? I know there are a few huge acts that can sell them out, but I can't imagine a lot of non-football entities are clamoring to book 60,000 seat stadiums. The only thing, is that if it were an open air stadium, Toronto could finally host a Winter Classic. That's one event every 2-3 years tops. Hell, maybe they even make it once a year, lol.

Tons of events. Concerts, tractor pulls etc. I would propose the Jays move as well. The then Skydome used to be state of the art. Now it's bland, boring.

lmao the Jays aren't moving from a stadium they own.

I don't buy the "tons of events" either. Who is playing a 60k seat stadium when there are more intimate venues available. Barely anybody is selling that many tickets. Tractor pulls? One a year? Who the **** goes to tractor pulls? Monster trucks? Usually held in arenas.

Just the first stadium I can think of, Cowboy Stadium (AT&T Stadium, I guess?)...

http://stadium.dallascowboys.com/events/eventList.cfm

That's their event list... there actually is Monster Jam on there, but the rest of the events are football... college and high school... plus some Final Four basketball. None of that is happening in a stadium in Canada.

lmao the Jays aren't moving from a stadium they own.

I don't buy the "tons of events" either. Who is playing a 60k seat stadium when there are more intimate venues available. Barely anybody is selling that many tickets. Tractor pulls? One a year? Who the **** goes to tractor pulls? Monster trucks? Usually held in arenas.

Disney on ice is at the dome like for 14 days.

Why wouldn't the Jays move?

The Stadium is dated. There has been many many new stadiums since the sky dome was built.

Baseball tenant makes the most sense.

Justin Bieber. Taylor Swift. Jay Z. All played the Dome

What would need to be done to the Skydome (I'll always call it that) to make it more modern and hip?

Real grass or starters would be nice, I guess.

Definetely grass. I don't know it's just a blaaaa atmosphere.

Back in 1989 it was fun. That's almost 25 years ago now

Neither the NFL or MLB wants their teams sharing stadiums these days.

A football stadium could be in the suburbs, baseball needs to be downtown.

Football actually lends itself well to the suburbs because of tailgating. People come out at different times too, so helps the traffic a little.

I think it's the concrete. I hate the look of boring grey concrete.

1. Real grass

2. Paint concrete or cover it up with faux-brick panels, or similar.

3. Indoor plants

4. Give the outfield, top-deck section a nickname.

They should hire us.

I think it's the concrete. I hate the look of boring grey concrete.

1. Real grass

2. Paint concrete or cover it up with faux-brick panels, or similar.

3. Indoor plants

4. Give the outfield, top-deck section a nickname.

They should hire us.

Yeah, modernist/brutalist architecture is garbage.

Disney on ice is at the dome like for 14 days.

Why wouldn't the Jays move?

The Stadium is dated. There has been many many new stadiums since the sky dome was built.

Baseball tenant makes the most sense.

Justin Bieber. Taylor Swift. Jay Z. All played the Dome

If your solution is that events will just move from the Dome to the NFL stadium, then it's not particularly helpful, and exacerbates my points about perpetuating car dependence and environmental concerns which is AGAINST the Official Plan of the City of Toronto, as well as against provincial interests.

Furthermore, the Dome is owned by Rogers Communications. They also own the Blue Jays. They are benefiting from all of these events they host in the Dome as well. Why would they want to move the Jays and lose their stadium?

I would bet the Blue Jays rely a TON on walk up sales on game day, they'll get basically none of that in the suburbs.

I might be in the minority. But I doubt it.

It's a deterrent for me that it's downtown. If you like filling your games with Bay Street suits who are annoying then so be it.

If your solution is that events will just move from the Dome to the NFL stadium, then it's not particularly helpful, and exacerbates my points about perpetuating car dependence and environmental concerns which is AGAINST the Official Plan of the City of Toronto, as well as against provincial interests.

Furthermore, the Dome is owned by Rogers Communications. They also own the Blue Jays. They are benefiting from all of these events they host in the Dome as well. Why would they want to move the Jays and lose their stadium?

We can disagree. It's all good. But I'm a real life suburban ticket buyer. There are millions like me who take their kids to sporting events.

We don't work or live downtown. Would prefer to avoid the headache of going downtown.

Yes. That's what I said. It was awesome when it opened.

That's 25 years old! That's the problem with mid 20th century to present architecture. It's built to last 30 years. It's all garbage.

It was awesome mostly because of the roof. Imagine if they built a ballpark in downtown Toronto like the one they built in Baltimore.

By the way, the cost of an NFL franchise is ridiculous, especially when it's Toronto. An NFL team in Toronto would sell out every game. It would create new NFL fans.

We can disagree. It's all good. But I'm a real life suburban ticket buyer. There are millions like me who take their kids to sporting events.

We don't work or live downtown. Would prefer to avoid the headache of going downtown.

Rather ignorant statement.

I might be in the minority. But I doubt it.

It's a deterrent for me that it's downtown. If you like filling your games with Bay Street suits who are annoying then so be it.

Your experience is not necessarily the baseline here. Getting downtown for a game will be easier and more convenient than it will be to get everyone from different suburbs AND from downtown to a game in the outskirts. And I'm sorry that you're a stubborn suburbanite, but your dreams are not the future of this country, and we're not going to plan a future 50 years down the road that suits your unsustainable pattern of development.