Fcp Hockey Forum 2013 Nfl Pool

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I got Spiller in the FCP draft, so I would hold onto Jackson if I were you.

I'm going to post my football picks here if anyone is interested.   Started the season with a $100 football betting bankroll.   I did this last year as well. Was up about $350 at the end of the re

If you were doomed to play for a crap team like the Browns you'd have a bad attitude as well

I got roped into a fantasy league with a couple friends...I know nothing about football so I just let the autopicker do it. Got a B+ so I guess that bodes well.

Yeah if you auto pick you always get a good grade, since Yahoo grades your draft based on their projections, and the autopick always takes one of the highest guys available based on their projections.

My draft rating was B..

Not bad..

I was surprised at some of peoples picks...Picking a QB really high in this pool is -ev...Unless its the top 2 or 3..Also LOL at picking kickers with like 5 rounds to go..

I think it was JP..

John got the highest. Most people got a B or B-

Based on projections, John is expected to come first at 11-2, I am 2nd at 10-3, and a bunch of ppl are at 7-6.

Yeah if you auto pick you always get a good grade, since Yahoo grades your draft based on their projections, and the autopick always takes one of the highest guys available based on their projections.

So, in essence, the grades are pointless since people draft on their own speculation and Yahoo grades on past statistics and current projections.

My draft rating was B..

Not bad..

I was surprised at some of peoples picks...Picking a QB really high in this pool is -ev...Unless its the top 2 or 3..Also LOL at picking kickers with like 5 rounds to go..

I think it was JP..

Yeah I think JP made a mistake taking Rodgers in the first, and whoever took Brees in the 2nd was also a mistake. But lots of people do it, I just personally think you gotta go RB in round 1 unless Calvin Johnson falls to 11 or 12.

So, in essence, the grades are pointless since people draft on their own speculation and Yahoo grades on past statistics and current projections.

yeah the grades are mostly pointless. The people who are relying heavily on Yahoo projections are going to grade higher than the people that use their own rankings.

Im one of those middle B grades with 7-6?/8-5? record. It said I would finish 4th. Boo, out of the medals!

I screwed up with Sproles at round 4. Having done 0 research this year caught up to me, I was all set to take Lamar Miller with my 4th pick and was very happy with the draft, and then he got taken, along with my 2 possible backups. Then I was searching for next best RB, and went with Sproles. Probably going to be a big mistake. I think my run of success at FCP football is about to come crashing down.

Im curious to see if taking a TE in round 2 will be also my undoing, that was strange for me. I really liked where I got Graham though. (pick 21?)

Watching the draft last night made me realize how lucky I got last year with Martin and was trying to duplicate that, but dont I even got a solid #2 RB.

And I forgot that was Dubey, I should have known with Romo+Witten.

I seriously want a do over!

Does everyone think the best strategy is Autodraft?

Most of us are NOT better at picking NFL fantasy teams better than Yahoo..I would think the best strategy is auto draft..

Its not as fun obviously

Jimmy Graham went #16 overall in my league Arp, so I wouldn't get too down on yourself.

I have no idea who he is or why he's valuable, FTR.

He appears to be the clear cut #1 at TE since the New England guy is hurt. I thought taking Graham in the 2nd round was early but it is not so out of whack

Meh, I still don't really get it. I guess making great use of a TE spot is good and all, but I got Jason Witten in the 6th round (after taking Stevan Ridley, Demaryius Thomas, Tom Brady, and Reggie Wayne with the picks in between) and it still seems like I got a really solid TE whose stats are just as good.

I should point out once again that I know exactly nothing about fantasy football.

Im one of those middle B grades with 7-6?/8-5? record. It said I would finish 4th. Boo, out of the medals!

I screwed up with Sproles at round 4. Having done 0 research this year caught up to me, I was all set to take Lamar Miller with my 4th pick and was very happy with the draft, and then he got taken, along with my 2 possible backups. Then I was searching for next best RB, and went with Sproles. Probably going to be a big mistake. I think my run of success at FCP football is about to come crashing down.

Im curious to see if taking a TE in round 2 will be also my undoing, that was strange for me. I really liked where I got Graham though. (pick 21?)

Watching the draft last night made me realize how lucky I got last year with Martin and was trying to duplicate that, but dont I even got a solid #2 RB.

And I forgot that was Dubey, I should have known with Romo+Witten.

I seriously want a do over!

I was considering Graham at 24 if he made it to me, I don't htink it was a bad pick by any means. I mean, you give up some value at RB or WR, but you have the only tier 1 TE, so you have a pretty big advantage week to week at that position.

I'm ok with my team. Mostly because I ended up with the top pick, and not because I drafted anyone in a really good spot or anything. There were quite a few instances where the guy I wanted got picked right before me, and I ended up scrambling a bit for a pick at the last minute. I probably didn't need to draft Giovanni bernard at round 5. I could have gotten a comparable guy at round 7 or 8.

This is the first draft I've done this year where I actually have a decent TE, but I think round 7 was a good time to grab Witten.

Really hated my draft position to start (#2) for a couple of reasons. First there was no clear cut #2 with Foster being banged up. Second is that I always prefer to be in the middle of the pack draft-wise so when players unexpectendly drop, I have a better opportunity to grab them Wasn't ecstatic with taking Martin and Drew as my first 2 picks but I thought it was important to grab 2 RB's early. Was real happy grabbing D. Thomas, Garcon and Decker in my next 3 picks. Strategy was to be the last team to take a QB and it worked out real well taking R. Wilson late in 8th round. It didn't not make sense to me grabbing a QB early when there were a number of decent QB options at 10 thru 13 in my QB rankings

Does everyone think the best strategy is Autodraft?

Most of us are NOT better at picking NFL fantasy teams better than Yahoo..I would think the best strategy is auto draft..

Its not as fun obviously

No, the best strategy is definitely not autodraft. Unless your only goal is to get a good Yahoo draft grade.

Really hated my draft position to start (#2) for a couple of reasons. First there was no clear cut #2 with Foster being banged up. Second is that I always prefer to be in the middle of the pack draft-wise so when players unexpectendly drop, I have a better opportunity to grab them Wasn't ecstatic with taking Martin and Drew as my first 2 picks but I thought it was important to grab 2 RB's early. Was real happy grabbing D. Thomas, Garcon and Decker in my next 3 picks. Strategy was to be the last team to take a QB and it worked out real well taking R. Wilson late in 8th round. It didn't not make sense to me grabbing a QB early when there were a number of decent QB options at 10 thru 13 in my QB rankings

I think you had a great draft. I was going to draft MJD and Pierre Garcon and if you didn't take them right before me.

I do agree that #2 is a bad spot this year though, as there's not much to choose between Martin, Spiller, Mccoy, Rice, Foster, Lynch, richardson, Morris

I was about to take Bernard, so if you wanted him, that was your last chance.

I figure Graham should be so much better then everyone's tight end, so I should be good there.

Like John, I didn't like my spot. I thought serge at 6 was perfect spot, he got an RB I would have loved as my #1.

Like most football pools I'll assume this will come down to who gets lucky with injuries.

Since I'm bored I will review my team/thoughts and opinions on what I saw.

1st (#8 overall)- Alfred Morris

2nd (#16 overall) -Dez Bryant

3rd (#33 overall) - Frank Gore

4th (#40 overall) - Lamar Miller

5th (#57 overall) - Robert Griffin III

6th (#64 overall) - Miles Austin

7th (#81 overall) - Chris Ivory

8th (#88 overall) - Stevie Johnson

9th (#105 overall) - Owen Daniels

10th (#112 overall) - Brian Hartline

11th (#129 overall) - Vick Ballard

12th (#136 overall) - Fred Jackson

13th (#153 overall) - Carson Palmer

14th (#160 overall) - Andre Roberts

15th - Defense

16th - K

My draft strategy was pretty simple. Take as many good RB's as early as possible since it's the biggest dropoff in terms of both talent and fantasy relevance and also to make sure I grabbed one of the top 5 WRs. QB, TE I was fine waiting on.

Got 3 really good RB's early in Morris, Gore, and Miller. Also got one of the best WR in Dez Bryant. Was going to wait till round 6-7 to take a QB, but simply couldn't pass on RGIII still sitting there in Round 5. My WR2 and WR3 ended up being Miles Austin and Stevie Johnson who I think will both have solid years. Thought I got great value on Owen Daniels in round 9 as I could easily see him grabbing 6-7 td's and being a top 10 TE.

I got a B- for a grade, but honestly those grades don't mean anything. I play multiple fantasy football leagues every year and some of my best seasons/championships were when the draft grader gave me a C or below. On the flip side, I got an A+ in a draft last year and still didn't win my league. There are so many things it doesn't factor in and basically only grades you on how many top guys you took from Yahoo projections (which are awful in my opinion)

And autopicking is definitely a bad strategy. Not bad if you don't follow football that closely since you can't get in too much trouble, but some of Yahoo's ranks are really bad, almost laughable. I had some major ranking differences. We are talking like 20-30 spots difference on some guys.

I think drafting QB's in the first round is a big mistake. I'm not taking any QB until the 3rd round at the absolute earliest. And even then, its only Rodgers or Brees. Anybody else has to be 4th round and later. The difference between Rodgers and a middle of the pack QB isn't nearly as great as the difference between the top RB's and the middle of the road RB's. If anybody is interested you should google "value based drafting" to give you an idea of what I mean.

Also, I think it is a general rule of thumb to never draft your defense or kicker until the last 2 rounds. I think I saw a defense get drafted in the 8th round of our draft!! Passing up so much value for a position that changes so much from year to year is -ev. I will never understand while people do it.

Overall I'm pretty thrilled with my team and am looking for back to back championships. Best of luck to everyone this year, except when you are playing me of course :)

Great analysis.

Anyone want side bets.

I want to bet a Canadian wins. Yes there are more of us. But we are hockey people y'all are football gurus.

I'll take a Canadian at even money. I'll even let you have Wayne s team since Steve drafted.

Anyone want to critique my autopicked team and see if there's anyone there that is super expendable?

..this isn't hockey! 1. (2) Doug Martin (TB - RB) 2. (19) Stevan Ridley (NE - RB) 3. (22) Demaryius Thomas (Den - WR) 4. (39) Tom Brady (NE - QB) 5. (42) Reggie Wayne (Ind - WR) 6. (59) Jason Witten (Dal - TE) 7. (62) Steve Smith (Car - WR) 8. (79) New England (NE - DEF) 9. (82) Phil Dawson (SF - K) 10. (99) Montee Ball (Den - RB) 11. (102) Golden Tate (Sea - WR) 12. (119) Kenny Britt (Ten - WR) 13. (122) Jared Cook (StL - TE) 14. (139) Sam Bradford (StL - QB) 15. (142) Tampa Bay (TB - DEF)

I already dropped Sam Bradford in favor of Matt Schaub who went undrafted, and I also dropped Tampa's defense in favor of Fred Jackson from Buffalo, just in case Spiller gets hurt since Freddie is a great feature back when he's getting reps.

As far as guys available that are more than 50% owned, here's the list of FA's:

Rashard Mendenhall

Chris Ivory

Le'Veon Bell

Ben Tate

Emmanuel Sanders

Justin Blackmon

Alshon Jeffrey

Bernard Pierce

DeAndre Hopkins

Any super sleepers out there that I should check on?

Those draft grades are really screwy. It just gave me a C+ and projects I'll finish 4-10.

QB: Robert Griffin

RB: Marshawn Lynch, Jamaal Charles

WR: Victor Cruz, Vincent Jackson, Jordy Nelson

TE: Kyle Rudolph

K: Josh Brown

DEF: Baltimore

BN: Joe Flacco, Leveon Bell, Ben Tate, Rashard Mendenhall, Miles Austin, Justin Blackmon