when to step up to higher stakes?

I have been playing poker online for 2 1-2 years on various different sites. First started on STGs did well on them so progressed to cash game NL hold'em. Progressed to 1-2 NL make quite good profits on it but some times i like to play 5-10 2-4 NL where my form is indifferent I dont feel I am outclassed but maybe the swings are too high and it is hard to conserve your profits at these table. When do you think I should step up or is there any need as 1-2 NL can be profitable. Also I am 17 years old and been playing online for 2years what is everyones views on this I am consistent winner and I don't see why a 17 year old isn't allowed and a 18 year old isn't. For legal reasons my mate down the street is underage ----> not me. Can this be traced what is daniel's views on this also ? I have made 3-4 k in pounds on poker during this period and this is a lot of money for someone who has no expenses!p.s was this gd idea?

Depends on how comfortable at the limit you are. If you mastered 1/2 and you have the bankroll for 2/4 why not move up and try and make a little more.Regaarding the age thing i think 18 is an ok age. You say "why can't a 17 y/o play and an 18 y/o can" well that could go on and on and on "if a 17 y/o can play then why can't a 16 y/o" and etc..Also if you're underage it's not going to stop you so no real point in caring.

Although some who are underage are responsible and mature beyond their years, some are not. I can see some who are underage try to start gambling and not do so hot. Since it is addictive to some in nature, they think they will have to keep playing to win it back. And im sure you can see where it will go from here under extreme cases. I think people who are young are more vulnerable to gambling problems in the future if they are exposed early because they have no liabilities when they are young. Im sure the thought of doing this professionally has crossed your mind but many do not realize how unrealistic it is to live off gambling income. Sure some do it very successfully but those who do have exeptional money management skills. If not, then one downswing means your family doesnt get to eat. Who is to say that only the mature responsible underage people can gamble and the irresponsible ones arent allowed to. So i guess the legal gambling age is the governments way of 'drawing the line'. The legal age of 18, 19 or 21 is their way of saying your responsible enough. Sure there is loopholes in that thinking but its probably for the best.

Yes I agree most underage players are not responsible enough to gamble. I find myself to have pretty good discipline. I could be taking peoples money that are old enough to be my dad I consistently win so I don't care. But I do know my friends can get addicted to it. The best thing is to cash out while your ahead stop when your doing bad and taking time out to do more impotant things which for now is studying. Hopefully I can make the final table of a wsop event one day when i bacome 21 in 2009 can u go in poker rooms in NY at 18?

bigkg

I'm 17 and voted no.So BOOYAH!!!!
eeklaugh2.gifI'm just talking about the 3 peeps that voted yes. I have a big hunch they were by people who were under 18.
The best thing is to cash out while your ahead stop when your doing bad and taking time out to do more impotant things which for now is studying.
A very important concept often overlooked is leaveing when the game has gone bad (ie, the fish has left, or the table has become overly tight etc.). If your up but the game is still full of poor players, it would be -EV to leave. Stay and maximize your profits when you can, and minimize your losses when the game as turned tough.

When you sign up you need to agree to the Terms Of Service, which is a legally binding contract, you need to be 18 to be legally bound to a contract.

When you sign up you need to agree to the Terms Of Service, which is a legally binding contract, you need to be 18 to be legally bound to a contract.
Good Point.