Exploitation Of The Trayvon Martin Killing

The dementia is advancing!I don't think I would recognize even half the people that live on my block.
You would also never in a thousand years volunteer to be in a neighborhood watch program, let alone run for the presidency of it.
  • Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm saying your definition of a suspicious person isn't very Christian. Well, I guess it's very 12th century Christian.
I'm not saying that's my personal definition. I'm saying if you are patrolling the streets as part of a neighborhood watch program then I absolutely feel that someone would have the right to use that as their definition.I honestly have no idea what this has to do with Christianity. Jesus doesn't expect people to let their neighborhood get robbed.

That's terrible video quality, shot from a great distance in relation to visual bruising or cuts that have been wiped clean. The EMT report is the only thing that matters.

I'm not saying that's my personal definition. I'm saying if you are patrolling the streets as part of a neighborhood watch program then I absolutely feel that someone would have the right to use that as their definition.I honestly have no idea what this has to do with Christianity. Jesus doesn't expect people to let their neighborhood get robbed.
"Stand your ground!" -Jesus
usually brvy and i agree, but here i just dont know. it certainly doesnt look like this guy was just in the kind of fight that would require shooting a kid.
Then we agree on this too, because that's what I said just a few posts ago.
"Stand your ground!" -Jesus
Matthew 2112 Then Jesus went into the temple of God and drove out all those who bought and sold in the temple, and overturned the tables of the money changers and the seats of those who sold doves. And He said to them, "It is written, 'My house shall be called a house of prayer,' but you have made it a 'den of thieves.' "
That definitely sounds like he views all strangers as suspicious. Also, does he pull out his glock in Matthew 22?
I have never once said that I was a proponent of shooting a kid during a fist fight, so the last part of your sentence is irrelevant.Secondly, taking inventory of someone in your small gated community, who you don't recognize, when it's your turn to walk around looking for suspicious people has NOTHING to do with Jesus or Christianity or anything else you are trying to pin on me. It was his "job" to look for "suspicious" people, and I have no problem with him thinking that kid was suspicious based on simply not recognizing him. I'm not discussing or referring to anything that happened after the initial "spotting".
well thats good because i want the friendship train to keep on trucking.but i think we disagree in that i think that video is relevant and useful in this investigation.
Oh ok. Yes, we disagree vehemently on that. The cops and especially the EMT's are much much much more valid evidence than a crappy resolution security camera that shows the guy an hour or two after a fight. I mean, he obviously would have been cleaned by the EMT's when they were treating him. They don't just leave you all bloody so you look "good" on the super crappy video camera on the roof of the police station.

of course the emt report and the police report are important as well. but i think they can use this video to further argue that he wasnt in an altercation serious enough to warrant deadly force. just another piece of the pie.

I have no problem with him thinking that kid was suspicious based on simply not recognizing him.
Jesus would have a problem with that. That's my point.
of course the emt report and the police report are important as well. but i think they can use this video to further argue that he wasnt in an altercation serious enough to warrant deadly force. just another piece of the pie.
The EMT report is the only important thing. Not video hours later. Just because he isn't black and blue and not missing an arm doesn't mean his life wasn't in danger hours earlier.
Jesus would have a problem with that. That's my point.
Your point is stupid, because it's based on nothing AND it's incorrect. Jesus wouldn't think anyone is suspicious because he knows everyone and is all powerful. That doesn't mean that Jesus thinks that it's sinful for us to be wary of people walking through our yard at night.

Oh, he was in Zimmerman's yard now? I'm obviously talking pre-mind-reading Jesus here by the way.I think all Jesuses (Jesi?) would think that being immediately suspicious of someone solely because you don't know them is bad.

I think
That's the problem. The Bible isn't based on your brain. Jesus would have no problem with protecting your family, which is what Zimmerman felt he was doing. (According to reports)PS. I was saying 'yard' because you changed what we were talking about, however, if you look at all the schematics that RR posted, you will see that everything went down in the yard. This wasn't a big area, and by the sound of it, this Zimmerman character was out there every night, patrolling, and calling 911.

A yard, not his yard.Your jealousy of my understanding of Jesus is understandable. Following a person you don't know who is moving not in the direction of your family is protecting your family now? I think most Jesuses are saddened by your logical quantum leaps.

25 And behold, a lawyer stood up to put him to the test, saying, “Teacher, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?” 26 He said to him, “What is written in the Law? How do you read it?” 27 And he answered, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind, and your neighbor as yourself.” 28 And he said to him, “You have answered correctly; do this, and you will live.”29 But he, desiring to justify himself, said to Jesus, “And who is my neighbor?” 30 Jesus replied, “A man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho, and he fell among robbers, who stripped him and beat him and departed, leaving him half dead. 31 Now by chance a priest was going down that road, and when he saw him he passed by on the other side. 32 So likewise a Levite, when he came to the place and saw him, passed by on the other side. 33 But a Samaritan, as he journeyed, came to where he was, and when he saw him, he had compassion. 34 He went to him and bound up his wounds, pouring on oil and wine. Then he set him on his own animal and brought him to an inn and took care of him. 35 And the next day he took out two denarii[c] and gave them to the innkeeper, saying, ‘Take care of him, and whatever more you spend, I will repay you when I come back.’ 36 Which of these three, do you think, proved to be a neighbor to the man who fell among the robbers?” 37 He said, “The one who showed him mercy.” And Jesus said to him, “You go, and do likewise.”
27 “But I say to you who hear, Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, 28 bless those who curse you, pray for those who abuse you. 29 To one who strikes you on the cheek, offer the other also, and from one who takes away your cloak do not withhold your tunic either. 30 Give to everyone who begs from you, and from one who takes away your goods do not demand them back. 31 And as you wish that others would do to you, do so to them.32 “If you love those who love you, what benefit is that to you? For even sinners love those who love them. 33 And if you do good to those who do good to you, what benefit is that to you? For even sinners do the same. 34 And if you lend to those from whom you expect to receive, what credit is that to you? Even sinners lend to sinners, to get back the same amount. 35 But love your enemies, and do good, and lend, expecting nothing in return, and your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High, for he is kind to the ungrateful and the evil. 36 Be merciful, even as your Father is merciful.
A yard, not his yard.Your jealousy of my understanding of Jesus is understandable. Following a person you don't know who is moving not in the direction of your family is protecting your family now? I think most Jesuses are saddened by your logical quantum leaps.
I would have stuck with Jesi. Man, does Zimmerman look racist in that video or what?
It was his job. This has nothing to do with Jesus. Jesus would want him to do his job well. ( which you could make a strong case he failed to do, since he shot an unarmed person. However, who cares about him not doing his job well, because this has nothing to do with Jesus.) He wasn't out on the street proselytizing. He was there to protect all the families in that tiny area, (RR said it was only 4 short streets) including, but not only limited, to his immediate family.--------------------------------------------BJ, many things have different contexts. If not, then all cops would be actively sinning by doing their jobs. (A Christian cop would never be able to be wary of someone they pulled over or arrested after breaking down their door?) Especially interesting is how the Good Samaritan story is not at all about how that guy shouldn't have tried to hide from or be wary of the robbers. How to act toward the robbers is never discussed, so it's not applicable to this situation.If that story had said, "a strange man then rode into a small locked village on horseback, and the night watchman, who was assigned the night shift by the other villagers, should not be wary, not call for help, and should flaunt all the village possessions to make them easier to steal.", then Cane could actually claim he knows something about Jesus' thoughts on the matter.I think the Luke 6 section makes a good case for not shooting someone who is punching you, but that's not what we're discussing. We are discussing whether or not it's sinful to be wary of strangers when your job is to watch the neighborhood , since there had been a rash of break-in's. We all know the answer, but Cane is still trying to win the stupid argument that he created out of thin air.
to you maybe
That's weak. As a defense lawyer, (I mean, that's the route you're definitely going, right?) you have to know you could destroy a prosecutor that used that as evidence.
BJ, many things have different contexts. If not, then all cops would be actively sinning by doing their jobs. (A Christian cop would never be able to be wary of someone they pulled over or arrested after breaking down their door?) Especially interesting is how the Good Samaritan story is not at all about how that guy shouldn't have tried to hide from or be wary of the robbers. How to act toward the robbers is never discussed, so it's not applicable to this situation.If that story had said, "a strange man then rode into a small locked village on horseback, and the night watchman, who was assigned the night shift by the other villagers, should not be wary, not call for help, and should flaunt all the village possessions to make them easier to steal.", then Cane could actually claim he knows something about Jesus' thoughts on the matter.
I don't think the point of The Good Samaritan is as specific as "care for people who have been robbed". It's a general criticism of the "us and them" attitude, which is pertinent to the discussion. I understand that you're drawing a distinction between mathematical profiling and racism, but I think there's a lot of gray common ground between those notions.
I think the Luke 6 section makes a good case for not shooting someone who is punching you, but that's not what we're discussing. We are discussing whether or not it's sinful to be wary of strangers when your job is to watch the neighborhood , since there had been a rash of break-in's. We all know the answer, but Cane is still trying to win the stupid argument that he created out of thin air.
I agree. It's applicable to the question of how Jesus would behave in this situation in general, but is not a rebuttal of the specific point you are arguing with Cane.