Official 2012 Trade Deadline Thread

Its time hockey fans...Trade deadline is coming.There has been some smallish trades, but big ones are hopefully around the corner..Yesterday was a fun one:Winnipeg gets John Negrin from Calgary for Akim Aliu.This was a weird one as both players play on the same AHL team.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ruutu will be the biggest name moved probably. Maybe Morrow too. Those 2 are the kind of guys you want in the playoffs. I wouldn't mind trying to flip Raymond for Ruutu straight up as a Canucks fan.
I agree with you..People are throwing around names like Getzlaf, Parise, Ryan.Those deals are VERY tough..
Tell Burke to hurry up and pull off a blockbuster already. Someone has to be the catalyst in order for the dominoes to fall.
I think the closer we get to the deadline the likelihood of a blockbuster goes down for Burke.I dont think a blockbuster is needed as the Leafs are playing well. But i would like to see us add a couple of veterans for the playoff run.
I doubt the Leafs make a move. If they do it will be a minor one.
All the talk of guys like Nash, Carter, Ryan and other pie in the sky acquisitions dont make sense.To get these guys we have to give up significant parts of our roster...A roster that is working well together..Couple of 3rd line guys, a depth veteran dman, or even a journeyman experienced goalie would not be a bad idea as we can probably get these type of players with no significant roster player going back.Another deal I could see us making is taking on a bad forward contract in exchange for Mike Komisarek
Komisarek for Penner :club:
I do that trade in a second but no chance of it happening obviously.Komi still has 2 more years on his deal.Penner a UFA..Love to see Penner in Toronto..He is exactly the type of player we should add...
I don't agree. He's a garbage hockey player. Way too slow for the Leafs system. They've been winning because of their speed.
A hockey team has an identity, but it also has role players.The Leafs need a tough, banger in the playoffs.Penner is a true power forward thats stock is very low right now...Perfect time to get him on the cheap.
A hockey team has an identity, but it also has role players.The Leafs need a tough, banger in the playoffs.Penner is a true power forward thats stock is very low right now...Perfect time to get him on the cheap.
His stock is low for a reason.(Hint: It's not from back injuries, a subsequent infection, and over a year off.)

Its been a big day in the rumour front. Rick Nash is apparently on the market and has agreed to be moved..Will Carter and Nash be moved??Obviously Leafs nation is abuzz in anticipation whenever ANY big name player is available. I dont think we will get Nash. He isnt the centre we require.Having said that, i would obviously be jumping for joy if it were to happen.Carter might be a bigger fit, and 2 years from now might look like the biggest steal ever OR he may look like a worse case of Gomez..Im inclined to say Carter is just looking for the right fit and who knows Toronto might be it.Burke s previous moves indicate he is looking for more than a just a good hockey player in this market..He is looking for a player that can handle playing in Toronto...Columbus and Toronto are on the opposite ends of the spectrum IMO.I dont see the Leafs in the running, but man I would really really be excited...its going to take a huge package to get Nash or Carter.

Carter might be a really good fit. I just hope anyone who comes to Toronto is motivated to play for a team that is clearly on the rise. Carter was excellent in Philly, but this year has been a bust for him so far. He doesn't normally seem to be bothered by injuries and I think he might be comfortable here without being considered a "saviour", as TO already has bona fide scoring threats.

Players like Carter's talents dont grow on trees...He is a lock for 30 goals every year he plays..Even this year he would score 30 goals in Columbus if it wasnt for the injuries.Couple of things that will maybe shy suitors away is the length of contract and the rumours of character(might be false)He is a bonafide 1C...Would love to see him here.

Yeah, I dunno about the charater thing, but anyone might get down playng in Columbus and then having to sit 10 games with a bad shoulder. Columbus might do well to get rid of Carter's salary and either rebuild or move to Hamilton lol.Sorry, but Quebec City can screw itself.