Fantasy Hockey Discussions

• Replies 773
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Reporting this post to the police and children's aid.

Great final keeper draft of the year.   Friday night, meet up with the guys in Niagara. Most of the pool participants spent the day golfing, I joined them for dinner. The guys got a private room in

I can finally write this, been waiting til the end to not jinx anything. Thank you Devan Dubnyk!   I have 3 keeper pools I am in outside of AHL/FCHL. 2 I am very serious about, the other bla,   #1

Time for a jinx:

Whalers FCHL 7-1 (only loss by half a point)

Whalers AHL 8-1 (only loss by half a point)

Thats how you stick a horseshoe up your ass kids!

Both Armenian teams lead their divisions.

HMMMM

Time for a jinx:

Whalers FCHL 7-1 (only loss by half a point)

Whalers AHL 8-1 (only loss by half a point)

Thats how you stick a horseshoe up your ass kids!

That's awesome. I'm losing to the Douchegators with the highest payroll in the league.

In the head to head league I have Mike Smith. Last week he got an assist. This week he got a goal. Both count.

Unfortunately he out scored Phil Kessel , Patrick Kane combined...

• 2 months later...

Also Ristolainen with the game winner in OT for the WJC. Named best D of the tournament (prior to his goal, even). Teravainen is the tournament's leading scorer, and on the All-Star team (Ristolainen on it as well, obviously).

The future is bright for my fantasy teams.

Named to Olympic teams:

Shortstackers:

Tomas Jurco (SVK)

Paul Stastny (USA)

Vladimir Sobotka (CZE)

Ondrej Palat (CZE)

Limidonks:

PK Subban (CAN)

Patrick Sharp (CAN)

Patrice Bergeron (CAN)

Ryan Suter (USA)

Jakob Silfverberg (SWE)

Alexander Edler (SWE)

Valterri Filppula (FIN)

Jussi Jokinen (FIN)

Aleksander Barkov (FIN)

Milan Michalek (CZE)

Anze Kopitar (SLO)

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Curious to hear others opinions.

Lets say I have a fixed asset, and I want a specific return.

The fixed asset is a player, lets say its Phil Kessel. I offer him up, and I say I want cash/cap for the coming year.

Whats the fairest way to have it done?

Do I go back to each interested party after every bid, and do an "open bidding" process, where some may feel I am driving the price up and never confirming a deal, but just taking offers to maximize my return, maybe play one team off another.

OR

Do I take silent bids, between now and cutoff date, and the highest bids get them. I dont go back to anyone, I just tell everyone to make 1 offer, make sure its their best offer, and then go with the highest amount.(obv)

What a more "fair" way to do this if you are in a fantasy league with people you are friendly with? (does the friendly matter?)

Curious to hear others opinions.

Lets say I have a fixed asset, and I want a specific return.

The fixed asset is a player, lets say its Phil Kessel. I offer him up, and I say I want cash/cap for the coming year.

Whats the fairest way to have it done?

Do I go back to each interested party after every bid, and do an "open bidding" process, where some may feel I am driving the price up and never confirming a deal, but just taking offers to maximize my return, maybe play one team off another.

OR

Do I take silent bids, between now and cutoff date, and the highest bids get them. I dont go back to anyone, I just tell everyone to make 1 offer, make sure its their best offer, and then go with the highest amount.(obv)

What a more "fair" way to do this if you are in a fantasy league with people you are friendly with? (does the friendly matter?)

I don't think either one is more "fair" if we're talking pure ethics. I guess the second one is, in the sense that timing may not play as significant an issue, and since you have less opportunity to 'fudge' numbers, but I think both easily meet a reasonable standard of fairness for a fantasy sports league, whether it is a friendly one or not.

You could argue the first one was more fair overall, since theoretically, it is the one that would be expected to come closest to a market agreement. However, that makes assumptions as to each party's ability to communicate fairly and clearly, which is easier said than done. Most of us in fantasy sports leagues aren't expert communicators, and even if we are, this isn't the place that we really make an effort at it!

Thanks guys for the feedback. I always thought those interested in buying (if Im the seller), would think it would be better if it was just a silent, everyone puts in their bids and highest wins thing.

The problem with the first way, IMO, is that it requires the seller to keep having to go back to those who are lowballing their offers.

But I can see the benefit of the first way if it works well, and time isnt an issue.

Both are good in theory, difficult in practice.

I think a true sealed bid auction (option 2) pretty closely replicates a free market as long as there is no collusion between bidders. In practice, in a fantasy hockey setting, people are terrified of offering too much, and I think the return you get on option 2 ends up being less than market value.

Option 1 relies on a lot of back and forth communication, which is the most difficult part of the whole process imo when it comes to fantasy trades. You pretty much have to count on an entire day between each individual communication for people to get back to you. The more owners involved, the more difficult it becomes, and the longer it takes. It isn't really realistic to expect people to freeze their assets for weeks or months while you are trying to make the best deal possible.

Seller: I'm looking to move Stamkos...interested in any combination of players, picks, cash, farmhands.

Potential Buyer #1: I'm interested.

Seller to Potential Buyer # 1: Ok. Send me an offer today or let me know who's available and I'll send you one.

Buyer: Anyone else interested? Anyone alive?

Potential Buyer #2: I'll give you $3 and some slightly used Lululemon pants.

Seller to Potential Buyer #2: I'll have to pass. Feel free to make another offer.

Potential Buyer #3: I'll give you my 1st and ___________?

Seller to Potential Buyer #3: Thanks for the offer; I'll get back to you within 3 days.

I don't think you owe anyone anything unless you tell them you'll get back to them or that you'll wait to hear from them before making any deal.

You're the seller so you can set the timeline. I find it depends who you're dealing with. Some people like to haggle, some take forever to get back to you. I like haggling and I hate waiting.

I'm a bit of a slow mover myself.

I like to analyze the crap out of trades/moves sometimes, wish I was more of a "sure, why not, I'll give you Crosby+Malkin for Nichuskin+3rd rounder and $10" kind of guy.

I especially find it hard to make trades in the offseason. Most guys could care less about the pool right now, so as a seller, no idea if you should wait and see.

As a buyer in FCHL, I was too lazy and just didn't step up. Will probably cost me, but I can't help but feel like I just don't want to be into pools in June/July and so be it.

Maybe it's in the best interest of the pool to put a moratorium in place... like, say, a week or two after the season ends, to until a week or two before the draft starts? I don't know... that doesn't really solve your problem, because trading mid-draft seems pretty standard, since we should all be paying attention. I know our FCHL draft is a lot different than a one-day thing in late September though.

No I really don't believe a moratorium is right, especially in a pool where so many guys seem willing to talk in those "off" months.

I don't have any desire to quell someone else's fun. lol

for me, I just really check out of hockey, and hockey pools, from about May-August. This year I actually seem to be getting into it a little in August, probably thanks to my FCHL issues. I have slowly started to look over the stuff again, and now Im just basking in my own personal glow of "holy crap, I won the AHL last year?!?!?!" (sorry, I know thats an unnecessary overreferenced brag)

• Like 1

Also, to add, as Zach knows well, I have never been in favour of having the FCHL draft in Jluy/August. For that exact reason, and also, because a lot of people are on vacation.

But now, Ive come around to the thinking that at least we get it over with. I personally would rather it be end of August or first week of September, but I am really in the minority on that one.

I like that the AHL does their draft same day as the auction, but once the auction becomes more and more of a thing, I wonder if the day is going to drag for too long.