9th Court Overturns Arizona’s Proof Of Citizenship Requirement For Voter Re

The Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals has overturned Arizona’s requirement that people show proof of citizenship to register to vote.

http://azstarnet.com/news/blogs/pueblo-pol...1cc4c002e0.htmlThe split decision by a three-judge panel determined that the requirement to show proof of citizenship — passed by voters in 2004 — is not consistent with the National Voter Registration Act.Associate Justice Sandra Day O’Connor, temporarily sitting by designation, and Circuit Judge Sandra Ikuta, with chief judge Alex Kozinski dissenting, said Prop. 200 creates an additional hurdle, while the national act is intended to reduce “state-imposed obstacles” to registration.The majority noted that Congress was well aware of the problem of voter fraud when it passed the voter act, and built in sufficient protections, including applying perjury penalties to applicants who lie about their eligibilty.The court determined Arizona’s polling place photo identification requirement, however, is a minimal burden and does not violate the Equal Protection Clause in the 14th Amendment.Attorney General Terry Goddard’s office is still reviewing the decision and was unavailable for comment.Secretary of State Ken Bennett said he does not anticipate that the ruling will make any difference in voting next week, since it wasn’t in place when registration closed Oct. 4.Bennett said the state plans to appeal the ruling, adding he disagrees the documentation sets up a barrier for registration. “I think it’s an outrage and a slap in the face of Arizonans who are concerned about the integrity of elections,” he said.
Cane - as our resident lawyer - what is your opinion?
The Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals has overturned Arizona’s requirement that people show proof of citizenship to register to vote.Cane - as our resident lawyer - what is your opinion?
A conservative court will back Arizona, a more liberal court will agree with the 9th circuit. This is a party lines kind of case.Personally, I think this law is pre-empted by the Federal law so the 9th circuit is correct but I understand AZ's desire to pass this law because they have such a large percentage of the illegal immigrants in this country. Which is a nice cop-out....I think both sides have a good point. If I was the judge on this case, I have no idea what I would do tbh.
You are not allowed to buy an antihistamine without ID, but you can vote?
Actually, if you read the article (not your strong suit), you will notice the court ruled that people do not have to prove citizenship to register BUT they do still have to present ID to vote on voting day.
Actually, if you read the article (not your strong suit), you will notice the court ruled that people do not have to prove citizenship to register BUT they do still have to present ID to vote on voting day.
That makes perfect sense.You can be in the system, and we will spend the money to send you absentee forms ( which you do not need ID for ) but you only need to show ID when you actually vote.Guess that's why Mickie Mouse voted for Obama 300 times.It's possible this link does not say that as I did not read it because it is from the Guardian.
A conservative court will back Arizona, a more liberal court will agree with the 9th circuit. This is a party lines kind of case.Personally, I think this law is pre-empted by the Federal law so the 9th circuit is correct but I understand AZ's desire to pass this law because they have such a large percentage of the illegal immigrants in this country. Which is a nice cop-out....I think both sides have a good point. If I was the judge on this case, I have no idea what I would do tbh.
I don't get it. I'm a legal citizen and not only would I be happy to show an ID to vote, I would rejoice at it. Who are these people that think it's a bad idea?
I don't get it. I'm a legal citizen and not only would I be happy to show an ID to vote, I would rejoice at it. Who are these people that think it's a bad idea?
YOU HAVE TO SHOW AN ID TO VOTE. THE COURT DID NOT OVERTURN THAT. THAT IS NORMAL AND LEGAL AND THE LAW EVERYWHERE. YOU JUST DO NOT HAVE TO SHOW PROOF OF CITIZENSHIP TO REGISTER TO VOTE. HOWEVER, IF YOU HAVE NO ID YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO VOTE ON VOTING DAY. THAT IS WHY ALL THE WORRIES ABOUT MICKEY MOUSE VOTING WERE RETARDED. YOU WOULD LITERALLY HAVE TO SHOW UP WITH A DRIVER'S LICENSE THAT SAYS YOU ARE MICKEY ****ING MOUSE TO VOTE.jfc.
YOU HAVE TO SHOW AN ID TO VOTE. THE COURT DID NOT OVERTURN THAT. THAT IS NORMAL AND LEGAL AND THE LAW EVERYWHERE. YOU JUST DO NOT HAVE TO SHOW PROOF OF CITIZENSHIP TO REGISTER TO VOTE. HOWEVER, IF YOU HAVE NO ID YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO VOTE ON VOTING DAY. THAT IS WHY ALL THE WORRIES ABOUT MICKEY MOUSE VOTING WERE RETARDED. YOU WOULD LITERALLY HAVE TO SHOW UP WITH A DRIVER'S LICENSE THAT SAYS YOU ARE MICKEY ****ING MOUSE TO VOTE.jfc.
I've never had to show an ID to vote in my entire life. (actually, maybe once at college I did)If that is really the law everywhere, my election officials are bad at their jobs. On Tuesday, I'm going to walk in and see a bunch of old people.The first old lady will have a list and my last name is always on the first page.I'll point at it and say, that is me, and she'll cross off my name and send me to the next table. I'll grab my ballot and go vote.I'll leave.I looked into it a little bit and it appears that Cane is wrong. Only 8 states require a photo ID, 18 require something without a photo, like a utility bill.MAYBE I SHOULD HAVE TYPED THIS IN CAPS!
So let me get this straight.Castro can legally register to vote', then can show up and produce an ID with his picture that shows Yep he is fidel Castro, now he can vote?Oh wait,that wont happen cause they left intact a perjury penalty for that.So when Harry Reid wins by 2000 votes, with 3000 illegal votes, then the election will be overturned and 2000 illegals will face perjury charges, BWAHAAAAAAAAAAA.
I'm a legal citizen and not only would I be happy to show an ID to vote, I would rejoice at it.
This is a funny scene in my head.I don't really care about this either way because it's my official stance on FCP to not take any official stances, but what about absentee voting?
I looked into it a little bit and it appears that Cane is wrong. Only 8 states require a photo ID, 18 require something without a photo, like a utility bill.MAYBE I SHOULD HAVE TYPED THIS IN CAPS!
that's the law in Arizona which is what this thread is about. I still doubt Fidel Castro and Mickey Mouse would be able to vote. Just a hunch.
that's the law in Arizona which is what this thread is about. I still doubt Fidel Castro and Mickey Mouse would be able to vote. Just a hunch.
Why not? Id cards only show who you are, not your voter eligibility status.And I would bet money if castro or mickey walked into a san fransisco voting station smoking a joint, with a Pelosi shirt on, they would probably be handed more than 1 ballot.
Why not? Id cards only show who you are, not your voter eligibility status.And I would bet money if castro or mickey walked into a san fransisco voting station smoking a joint, with a Pelosi shirt on, they would probably be handed more than 1 ballot.
I would bet more money that if a black guy tried to vote in Alabama three bubbas might try to dissaude him.
THAT IS NORMAL AND LEGAL AND THE LAW EVERYWHERE.
that's the law in Arizona which is what this thread is about.
oh.
if I ever meet brv, I will ask to see his ID and report back on whether he rejoices.
Let's make this happen.My question about absentee voting was serious though, if anyone cares to answer it.If you don't have to prove anything at registration and you never show up to vote, you just mail in your ballot, when does your right to vote get checked and how? I'm asking this out of curiosity more than trying to prove any kind of point.
if I ever meet brv, I will ask to see his ID and report back on whether he rejoices.
You should call Kevin. Wells Fargo is hiring like crazy in DSM.
Let's make this happen.My question about absentee voting was serious though, if anyone cares to answer it.If you don't have to prove anything at registration and you never show up to vote, you just mail in your ballot, when does your right to vote get checked and how? I'm asking this out of curiosity more than trying to prove any kind of point.
I think absentee voting should be outlawed, although I would be in favor of make-shift voting booths at nursing homes or even some sort of internet or delivery/house call service for voting. The obvious problems would be cost and security. We have a long way to go before the system is even acceptable, let alone good.I like the stories of old people calling someone to come get them and take them to the polls in a wheel chair even though they haven't left their house in 2 years.
You should call Kevin. Wells Fargo is hiring like crazy in DSM.
my plan is to pursue that job if I get evicted.
I think absentee voting should be outlawed, although I would be in favor of make-shift voting booths at nursing homes or even some sort of internet or delivery/house call service for voting. The obvious problems would be cost and security. We have a long way to go before the system is even acceptable, let alone good.I like the stories of old people calling someone to come get them and take them to the polls in a wheel chair even though they haven't left their house in 2 years.
I don't know how I feel about my grandmother just handing her absentee ballot over to my mom each election cycle. I'm sure they'd look identical (lifetime republican voters) but still.
He's an actuary now. He can't be bothered with a menial teller position.
I'd be so happy to get a teller job in town.
What about college students, people working overseas, and those in the military?I have spent many years working at poles and being a precinct committeeman, more years than most of you have been alive, and one of my favorite things has always been watching really old shut-ins come to vote when young able-bodied people couldn't be bothered.

I get all my kids to request a lifetime absentee ballot when they registered, they bring me their voting ballots and I fill them out, have them sign the back and mail them in.I get them to sign the envelopes because that is the law.the most I have voted in one election is 5 times

When did I try to help a pimp with financial advice? After getting Obama elected by getting 'extra' votes?
Oh I just figured given your laissez faire attitude towards voter fraud you either worked for ACORN or you were a white landowner in the 1930s South.Also, I see no reason why we should deny pimps sound financial advice. Obama won Indiana. Not sure how far you will get on the claim that Obama needed extra help to win in 2008.