The Official Newmarket Hurricanes Thread

The Hurricanes kept on rolling through the month of November.Nov. 3 - W vs. BlackDevilHawks 4 - 2Nov. 5 - W vs. The Injured Reserve 2.5 - 1Nov. 6 - T vs. Kansas City Reserves 1.5 - 1.5Nov. 9 - W vs. Shaftsbury Wheat Ales 0.5 - (-1.5)Nov. 11 - W vs. Broadway 5.5 - 2Nov. 13 - W vs. Ottawa Limidonks 4 - 3Nov. 17 - L vs. Halifax Moneyshots 6 - 4Nov. 19 - W vs. Tulane Flyers 1.5 - (-1)Nov. 20 - W vs. Lost Cause 2.5 - 0.5Nov. 22 - L vs. Lethbridge Golden Seals 1.5 - (-0.5)Nov. 24 - W vs. Blindsides 5.5 - 0.5Nov. 26 - W vs. Whalers 3.5 - 0.5Nov. 27 - L vs. Broadway 4.5 - 3November record: 9 - 3 - 1Overall record: 17 - 6 - 1 (1st Gilmour Division - 11 point lead on 2nd)(2nd FCHL - 4 points behind leader w/ 1 game in hand)Top November PerformersMartin St. Louis - 5G 14A - 12 PTSNicklas Backstrom - 5G 12A - 11 PTSAlex Ovechkin - 3G 16A - 11 PTSDany Heatley - 7G 5A - 9.5 PTSNikolai Kulemin - 8G 1A - 8.5 PTSJakub Voracek - 5G 7A - 8.5 PTSOverall LeadersAlex Ovechkin - 10G 22A - 21.5 PTSMartin St. Louis - 10G 21A - 21 PTSDany Heatley - 12G 13A - 18.5 PTSNicklas Backstrom - 9G 18A - 18 PTSThomas Vanek - 9G 9A - 13.5 PTS

• 8 months later...
  • Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Words getting around. Had this convo this morning.  

The Hurricanes Are Back!! The staff has been working the phones hard over the last few days and have been able to swing 2 major deals.   1st deal   Hurricanes get:   Brent Burns, D $5/$5/$5 D

2nd deal   Hurricanes get:   Max Pacioretty, $2.00/$2.25/$2.50 John Carlson, $0.75/$0.75/$0.75 salaries covered this year $3.00 in 2016/17   Blindsides get: 2016 1st round pick Timo Meier (

Posted Images

Just to keep my fan updated on the team, here is how our 2011-12 roster stands at this point:ForwardsBrad Richards - 8.00Corey Perry - 1.50Paul Stastny - 2.50Nicklas Backstrom - 0.75Mike Ribeiro - 0.50Thomas Vanek - 2.00Mikko Koivu - 1.00Nikolai Kulemin - 1.25Shane Doan - 3.75Nik Antropov - 1.25Stephen Weiss - 0.50DefenseLubomir Visnovsky - 8.00Keith Yandle - 1.00Duncan Keith - 0.50Tomas Kaberle - 1.75Niklas Kronwall - 1.00Anton Stralman - 0.50Tom Gilbert - 1.25Ryan Wilson - 1.00GoaliesBoston - 0.25We have $45.25 to spend on 3-6 players, one of which will be a goalie set. We also currently hold the rights to:Alex Ovechkin - $33.25Martin St. Louis - $18.25Ryan Jones - $0.25Justin Braun - $1.00Vancouver Goalies - $3.50These are also the numbers it would take to resign these players.

• 1 month later...

I went into the auction with $27 to spend on 6 roster players and a goalie set. The bolded players are the ones I won last night.2011-12 Newmarket HurricanesForwardsMartin St. LouisCorey PerryJarome IginlaBrad RichardsNicklas BackstromMike RibeiroPaul StastnyMikko KoivuNikolai KuleminShane DoanThomas VanekStephen WeissNik AntropovNick PalmeiriBlake GeoffrionCory EmmertonBrett SterlingDefenseLubomir VisnovskyKeith YandleDuncan KeithTomas KaberleNiklas KronwallTom GilbertStephane RobidasRyan WilsonAnton StralmanGoaltendingBoston BruinsVancouver Canucks

Opening Night is Friday, October 7th and is a 6 game night. We kick off the season with very possible preview of the championship finals against defending champion Dubey and his Lethbridge Golden Seals. Emotions will be high in Lethbridge as they raise their championship banner.Here are some particulars that no one cares about (bench in italics):Newmarket Hurricanes LineupMartin St. Louis - TB - OTCorey Perry - ANABrad Richards - NYRThomas Vanek - BUFMike Ribeiro - DALBlake Geoffrion - NASLubomir Visnovsky - ANANiklas Kronwall - DETDuncan Keith - CHITomas Kaberle - CARNo GoaliesCory Emmerton - DETStephane Robidas - DALLethbridge Golden Seals Lineup (Probable)Steven Stamkos - TB - OTEric Staal - CARRyan Getzlaf - ANAPatrick Sharp - CHIBrenden Morrow - DALWojtek Wolski - NYRJoni Pitkanen - CAR-- empty ---- empty ---- empty --Los Angeles Goalies (vs. NYR)Brandon Prust - NYRChad LaRose - CAR

damn... I hadn't checked the lineup situation yet. It's going to be pretty tough with only 1 D man going. Though, a big night from any one of the top flight scorers on either team could be enough for a victory.

damn... I hadn't checked the lineup situation yet. It's going to be pretty tough with only 1 D man going. Though, a big night from any one of the top flight scorers on either team could be enough for a victory.
Huge goaltending advantage....
Huge goaltending advantage....
Agreed, the no goalies could be the difference. LA vs NYR - This game is in Sweden, so no home ice advantage either way. 1st game for both teams so hopefully guys like B Richards, M Richards, Gagne will want to prove themselves and get into a shootout. Also no Doughty for LA is big. Maybe I'm grasping at straws but I don't see a Jon Quick shutout.
  • 2 weeks later...

Jesus. I just went to set my lineup for tomorrow (Saturday) against Adam's Lost Cause. I love the lineup I can dress but it's my bench that blows me away.Players not starting tomorrow:Mike RibeiroPaul StastnyMikko KoivuShane DoanNikolai KuleminStephen WeissNiklas KronwallStephane RobidasRyan WilsonAnton StralmanI don't think I've ever had depth like this, especially at forward. Defense.... maybe I could use one more decent guy. Nick Palmieri and Blake Geoffrion are available for a good d-man.

Good job by the boys last night as we went into a very hostile environment in Lethbridge and came away with a 2.5 - 0 victory against the defending champs. I refused to let the team watch the banner ceremony. We now return home tonight for our home opener against division rival Lost Cause. No injuries to report this early in the season so a full A lineup will be dressed for the fans.Newmarket Hurricanes (1-0-0)Martin St. Louis - OTNicklas BackstromCorey PerryThomas VanekBrad RichardsJarome IginlaLubomir VisnovskyDuncan KeithTomas KaberleKeith YandleBoston (vs. TAM)The Lost Cause (1-0-0)Matt Moulson - OTTeddy PurcellPatrik BerglundJiri HudlerCal O'ReillyRyan O'ReillyDrew DoughtyAndy GreeneEd JovanovskiJared SpurgeonColorado (vs. DET)

• 1 year later...

Oh hello. Time to dust off the thread for the annual (bi-annual?) update

It's been a rough rebuild for the Hurricane franchise but I think we're finally on the right path....somewhat. If I enjoyed rebuilding so much it would make this way easier. So I went into auction yesterday with roughly $42 to spend on 10 players. My strategy was to avoid the superstars, and get tier 2 level players at decent prices, because I figured they'd be easier to flip at deadline time to the contenders. That strategy went waaaaayy out the window, as the auction junky in me could not avoid bidding.

Patrick Kane - $14.25

Martin St. Louis - $16.00

Joe Thornton - $5.00

Olli Jokinen - $1.75

Martin Erat - $1.75

Vancouver Goalies - $0.75

Brenden Morrow - $0.75

Ryan Whitney - $0.50

Paul Ranger - $0.25

Saku Koivu - $1.00

With regards to Patrick Kane and Martin St. Louis... I knew that they were #'s 3 and 4 in our scoring system last year, and I'm not lying when I say I was bidding on them just to drive up the price to where they should be. When I won Kane, I was a little shocked he didn't get to ~$17, but I haven't checked team game nights this year, and imagine Chicago is crap. As for St. Louis, I just went into want mode when his name came up. I had a lot of money left and figured he was the BPA, so why not spend it on him. Hindsight says I should have passed on him since I have 2 players from Tampa already (low level players)

I think Thornton at $5.00 is a bargain and I will most likely sign him to the rest of his career.

At $1.75 I want to throw up over Olli Jokinen, but I love that Erat is making that much.

I'm happy with Vancouver at $0.75, although again, I imagine their schedule is awful. My other set is New Jersey though, and they're usually pretty good.

Bottom line.... if I keep this team the way it stands, and make one or two good pickups during the season (which I'm usually not bad at) then I'm pretty confident I will make the playoffs. Once we get there though, I figure I'll need to get very lucky to knock off the better teams.

Thornton was a steal. SJS actually has a top 3 schedule this year I think. If I remember correctly, TBL has one of the best also, Vancouver has one of the worst, and chicago and NJD are near the bottom but not terrible.

Thornton was absolute robbery, I can't believe he went so low.

Kane was my #1 target until I ran the FCHL GP numbers and realized that Chicago is bottom tier this year (only a couple more games played than Vancouver). Only five teams play less than 55 games in our schedule and Chicago is one of them, sadly. He'd be back on the Lost Cause if not for that.

Oh hello. Time to dust off the thread for the annual (bi-annual?) update

It's been a rough rebuild for the Hurricane franchise but I think we're finally on the right path....somewhat. If I enjoyed rebuilding so much it would make this way easier. So I went into auction yesterday with roughly $42 to spend on 10 players. My strategy was to avoid the superstars, and get tier 2 level players at decent prices, because I figured they'd be easier to flip at deadline time to the contenders. That strategy went waaaaayy out the window, as the auction junky in me could not avoid bidding.

Patrick Kane - $14.25

Martin St. Louis - $16.00

Joe Thornton - $5.00

Olli Jokinen - $1.75

Martin Erat - $1.75

Vancouver Goalies - $0.75

Brenden Morrow - $0.75

Ryan Whitney - $0.50

Paul Ranger - $0.25

Saku Koivu - $1.00

With regards to Patrick Kane and Martin St. Louis... I knew that they were #'s 3 and 4 in our scoring system last year, and I'm not lying when I say I was bidding on them just to drive up the price to where they should be. When I won Kane, I was a little shocked he didn't get to ~$17, but I haven't checked team game nights this year, and imagine Chicago is crap. As for St. Louis, I just went into want mode when his name came up. I had a lot of money left and figured he was the BPA, so why not spend it on him. Hindsight says I should have passed on him since I have 2 players from Tampa already (low level players)

I think Thornton at $5.00 is a bargain and I will most likely sign him to the rest of his career.

At $1.75 I want to throw up over Olli Jokinen, but I love that Erat is making that much.

I'm happy with Vancouver at $0.75, although again, I imagine their schedule is awful. My other set is New Jersey though, and they're usually pretty good.

Bottom line.... if I keep this team the way it stands, and make one or two good pickups during the season (which I'm usually not bad at) then I'm pretty confident I will make the playoffs. Once we get there though, I figure I'll need to get very lucky to knock off the better teams.

You killed me on St Louis. I was pretty much all in on him but at $16, I couldn't justify it. My one mistake I regret was going so far with Marleau. I went in knowing that I wanted Marleau or Thornton because they play a ton of FCHL games. I preferred Marleau so I overpaid for him but of course I would have preferred Thornton at that price

• 1 year later...

I've been getting a TON of emails and texts for an update, so here it is. The final year of the rebuild is complete and I think we'll be strong going forward for the next few seasons.

The Hurricanes are going to be a team to fear once again. Under contract for next season (2015-16) will be:

Nazem Kadri

Nail Yakupov

Mike Fisher

Nikolai Kulemin

Tommy Wingels

Tyler Johnson

Ondrej Palat

Torey Krug

TJ Brodie

Jay Bouwmeester

Dan Hamhuis

Matt Irwin

RFA's that will be signed include Kevin Klein and Jimmy Hayes

I'll have a substantial amount of cash to go after high end talent as well as I'll have over $40 to spend at auction.

The farm is in fantastic shape, and next year we'll be looking to promote:

Vladimir Tarasenko

Ryan Ellis

David Savard

And a few years away from promotion include:

Sam Reinhart

Michael Dal Colle

Jakub Vrana

Robby Fabbri

Kerby Rychel

Connor Brown

Brendan Leipsic

Tobias Reider

Lucas Lessio

Jon Merrill

Ryan Pulock

Kevin Connauton

just to name a few.

I have 2 1st rounders for this draft including my own which will be a lottery pick - a chance for McDavid and a probable top 5 pick.

That was a very long and painful 3 year rebuild, but I think it's time to finally release the beast.

Zach and Adam have been monopolizing the division for too long and it's time to take back what's rightfully mine.

I'm looking forward to the revival of the Hurricanes and Whalers franchises, and the reawakening of the rivalry.

I think my farm can take on anyones, but thats not at all based on any research

FARM Virtanen, Jake VAN F 2.00 2014 1

FARM Nichushkin, Valeri DAL F 2.00 2013 1

FARM Horvat, Bo VAN F 2.00 2013 1

FARM Forsberg, Filip NSH F 2.00 2012 1

FARM Scheifele, Mark WPG F 2.00 2011 1

FARM Wennberg, Alexander CLB F 1.00 2013 2

FARM Burakovsky, Andre WSH F 1.00 2013 2

FARM Erne, Adam TLB F 1.00 2013 2

FARM Boucher, Reid NJD F 1.00 2013 2

FARM Stone, Mark OTT F 1.00 2012 2

FARM Namestnikov, Vladislav TBL F 1.00 2011 2

FARM Kabanov, Kirill NYI F 1.00 2010 2

FARM Vesey, Jimmy NSH F 1.00 2013 3

FARM Telegin, Ivan WPG F 1.00 2012 3

FARM Pirri, Brandon FLA F 1.00 2010 3

FARM Spooner, Ryan BOS F 1.00 2010 3

FARM Trochek, Vincent FLA F 0.50 2013 5

FARM Chiasson, Alex OTT F 0.50 2011 4

FARM Dumba, Matt MIN D 2.00 2012 1

FARM Ceci, Cody OTT D 2.00 2012 1

FARM Murphy, Ryan CAR D 2.00 2011 1

FARM Barberio, Mark TBL D 1.00 2012 2

FARM Moore, John NYR D 1.00 2009 2

FARM Klefbom, Oscar EDM D 1.00 2011 3

FARM Noreau, Maxim COL D 0.50 2014 4

FARM Donovan, Matt NYI D 0.50 2012 4

FARM Erixon, Tim CLB D 0.50 2010 4

FARM Gustaffson, Erik PHI D 0.50 2010 5

• 8 months later...

The Hurricanes Are Back!! The staff has been working the phones hard over the last few days and have been able to swing 2 major deals.

1st deal

Hurricanes get:

Brent Burns, D $5/$5/$5

David Desharnais, F $1

full salaries covered

Lost Cause get:

Jay Bouwmeester, D $.75/$.75/$.75

Sam Reinhart (FARM) $2

2016 2nd rounder

2017 3rd rounder

Burns is an absolute monster and his full salary is covered for 3 seasons. He's maybe a tad on the pricey side, but he's definitely underpaid. If he were on market he would fetch close to double that. Hate to give up Reinhart, but the cupboard was stocked and Adam gets a surefire prospect.

• Like 1