Meh I think a lot is about admitting your own shortcomings. I know that I'm lazy enough to make excuses to not go to the gym or go outside to run so I've hired a treadmill to plonk in front of the TV. I'm sure if I "really" wanted to I could do it the old-fashioned way but I'm very good at convincing myself that I don't need to get in shape that desperately. This way I have absolutely no excuse.

This is a poker forum. Poker is a form of gambling. Poker players and gamblers like to make prop bets. If this was posted in a health forum it might sound bad, but this is a poker forum.Now that I lost the weight I now have motivation to keep the weight off which has nothing to do with prop betting. Making a prop bet for me was just a jump start and gave me extra motivation to get shit done immediately.Herly if you think FCP is lame do something to contribute, don't make douchey posts. Yes your post was douchey whether you meant it or not.(edit) How was it your intention not to come off douchey when you called someone mentally retarded?

Agree a great post. I was a very cut 218 when I got married 18 years ago (lots of weightlifting from age 14 to 27 - then got married!) but have steadily packed it on to the point of hanging around 290-295 the last 10 years or so. Did the Atkins thing for a brief period and got down to 260 and felt great - basically the thought of carbs made me ill for a while, so that was helpful. But then sadly overcame that.Just back from vacation and was very active playing football and soccer with my kids, and some golf on my own (could only walk 9 though on a hilly course) so anxious to see if dropped a few lbs - feels like I have. So easy to get into the rut of going to office, coming home and finding couch and remote and doing the zombie thing. Totally agree my self confidence wrt appearance has taken a major hit with being so overweight.At any rate, may give prop bet thing a try - if I put away money every time I hit the junk food joint, or did not work out, would probably save quite a bit. Although I am sure it is much more effective if giving the money away to someone else with no chance of getting it back.edit - down 5 lbs for free - need to keep this going.Here is a fellow I have been following for a couple of years - will definitely be going to see his movie when it comes out. He is a personal trainer who put on 90 lbs in 4 months, kept it on for 2, then lost it over the next 6 months, so he could see what his clients were going through trying to lose the weight. Was quite neat to follow his blog as he went through it. His girlfriend said the most unattractive thing about him with the weight gain was how his self confidence disappeared.http://www.fatandback.com.au/

My stance is just because the bet is a lock doesn't make it any less of a bet. You're still using the bet as a means. There's nothing wrong with that. I just think it will be a lot more fulfilling and more longstanding for personal life betterment if one can do this through their own will. Again, nothing wrong with prop betting your fitness if that's your desire, but I just feel you lose out on some of the mental/physical rewards by propping. That said if nothing else is working, I'm 100% behind it.
We have different opinions on this: Even with penalties, it still takes an enormous amount of will power to quit one's addictions. This kind of betting is also not the classical -ev roulette type betting vice, so it doesn't count negatively in my book.