Getting More Mature As A Player

I'm not exactly sure where this is going, I guess mostly I'm just sharing my thoughts, having occasionally hung around this forum from time to time.I remember posting here a long time ago about how I'd been experiencing a lot of bad beats. I'd play one or two tournaments per night, and when I busted with AK to AJ, it sucked really bad.Then as I played more tournaments, it was the things like having a set outdrawn to a flush that bothered me. Then it was the runner-runner. etc.Once I started multi-tabling, it became more of a situation of bad variance. You play 40+ games in an evening and you have good days and bad days. When you have a string of bad days, it really sucks. This seemed to be the beginning of "the grind". Instead of playing a handful of $10 tournaments, I realized it was more profitable to play several $3 tournaments at the same time. So I did, and it was great! I could make an average of about $2/hr! LOLThen, the grind got to me. I had a bad streak. I recovered. I had another bad streak. Then I just didn't feel like doing it anymore. The fun wasn't really there.So, now I just play occasionally. My ROI has been great, but my bankroll isn't exactly growing very much. But it seems to be fun when I do play. The only "bad-beat" that really gets to me now is when I lose my connection with 6 tables open. AHHHHHHHGGGG! But anyway, the point is that if I hadn't gone through all of these other experiences, I probably wouldn't feel this way, and I'd still be smashing the keyboard when my stupid AA lost to JJ "every single f***ing time!" ;-)

I, for one, have been much more accepting of beats like AK<J7 or getting setted by a lower pair. I also don't put as much "emotion" into winning hands or tournies. Rather, I just try and focus on making the best decisions possible and hope the %'s land on my side. I also know when to step away from the "tilt reg" issues I've had. All in all, I'm happier while playing and, more to the point, AFTER playing.

Overall, I've had a lot of luck with JJ. If anything, I often tend to "under play". On a raised pot of AJX, what more could you ask for? Of course then they go all-in with KT and the river is a Q...

you play on pokerstars for long enough,,,,and you become comfortably numb.Sometimes I put both hands together and cover the flop... so I can only see my cards and his,,,,then remove my hands and just watch the chips either go to me or him...it's a lot easier to deal with...without all the "ooh i got it, no he's got it, no I got it, BAMMMMMM