****official Toronto Blue Jays Thread****

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

HMMM we are closer

http://www.thepostgame.com/features/201106...s-way-greatnessReally good article about Jose Bautista's history and development.
A very good article.Great read.
I love him!A Bautista jersey will be the first baseball jersey I have ever purchased.

Hopes and dreams:Add - Brett Lawrie, Travis Snider, Eric ThamesDrop - Jayson Nix, Corey Patterson, Edwin EncarnacionWith Johnny Mac coming back, McCoy goes down.Lineup:Lawrie - 3BHill - 2BBautista - RFLind - 1B/DHArencibia - CSnider - LFEscobar - SSRivera - 1B/DHDavis - CFReserves - John MacDonald, Jose Molina, Eric Thames. As the only OF reserve, Thames still gets plenty of playing time.

Heh, they certainly have the cash, but seems like less than a perfect fit with Escobar. Hechavarria could be a trade chip I guess - never want to make any moves based on a guy hitting .230 in AA, so I don't really care about that.Escobar is an above-average SS, but could certainly handle RF. I'd give Escobar/Reyes SS/3B, keep Hill at 2B, Bautista/Lawrie in LF/RF. Yeesh, too many corner players, don't know where Snider fits there.

Helluva 9th inning tonight...particularly if you were a Red Sox fan. Darnell McDonald with a beautiful throw to stop the tying run at the plate and end the game. Crazy.

Helluva 9th inning tonight...particularly if you were a Red Sox fan. Darnell McDonald with a beautiful throw to stop the tying run at the plate and end the game. Crazy.
That was a great throw, though Varitek's tag was awful. I know the play was controversial, and I'm almost certain he was safe. But it shouldn't be relevant - the throw was there with tons of time, and Varitek was two feet from him on the original tag. He also was doing a terrible job blocking the plate. Thankfully for the Red Sox, Encarnacion's sliding technique was even worse!

What a finish.I agree Danny, I don't think Varitek ever actually tagged him, though I'm not convinced that Edwin actually ever touched the plate either.

Oh I thought Varitek played it quite well, although I agree that Encarnacion may have actually been safe. I think Encarnacion was surprised that the throw got there so quickly, and then perhaps didn't realize that Tek's left leg is made of steel (apparently). Then after the initial collision they both sort of swept around and Tek tagged him about the instant Edwin's other leg went wobbling around the plate and maybe scraped across it. Anyway, yeah they probably could have each changed the play by playing it slightly more perfectly, but it was fun either way. It would have been a hellish loss if Pap had given up 3 in the 9th like that after we shut them out for 8 (and then I just assume we would have gone on to lose).

Oh I thought Varitek played it quite well, although I agree that Encarnacion may have actually been safe. I think Encarnacion was surprised that the throw got there so quickly, and then perhaps didn't realize that Tek's left leg is made of steel (apparently). Then after the initial collision they both sort of swept around and Tek tagged him about the instant Edwin's other leg went wobbling around the plate and maybe scraped across it. Anyway, yeah they probably could have each changed the play by playing it slightly more perfectly, but it was fun either way. It would have been a hellish loss if Pap had given up 3 in the 9th like that after we shut them out for 8 (and then I just assume we would have gone on to lose).
Well, unless the slide is absolutely directly on the leg, it doesn't bounce off like that, but skims off to the side. Considering the throw beat him to the plate by 10 feet, Varitek might've wanted to bend those 90-year old knees to actually get the ball somewhere near Encarnacion.Varitek's leg is extremely bouncey.Looked like Varitek stayed straight, possibly bracing himself for a collision. Would love if he didn't have to worry about getting slammed when trying to tag someone out, so he could do it properly without risking his life over it.

The umpiring in this game has been severely awful. I was trying to do something else, but had to stop and watch the game because the inaccuracy and inconsistency of the ball-strike calls was hilarious.Definitely think the Indians got the worst of the calls, overall.

31 homeruns before the All star break for Bautista..Pretty scary that last year he didnt his 30th homerun until July 27th.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
31 homeruns before the All star break for Bautista..Pretty scary that last year he didnt his 30th homerun until July 27th.
I obviously jinxed him..Hopefully he can get hot and still hit 50
  • 2 weeks later...
http://mlb.sbnation.com/2011/8/25/2382749/...nthopoulos-newsGreat article for fans. Some gems:Here's a list of the worst hitters in baseball this season:Rk Player OPS+ 1 Alexis Rios 56 2 Aaron Hill 58 3 Adam Dunn 61 4 Mark Ellis 62 5 Alex Gonzalez 65 6 Orlando Cabrera 66 7 Chris Getz 68 8 Ian Desmond 68 9 Vernon Wells 69 10 Alcides Escobar 70 "Things are looking up, though. Alex Anthopoulos is the It GM. He's so hot right now. He can live out the dreams of every Canadian if he wants to -- get his face on a set of O-Pee-Chee cards, date former You Can't Do That on Television stars, you name it. He's the toast of Canada."
http://mlb.sbnation.com/2011/8/25/2382749/...nthopoulos-newsGreat article for fans. Some gems:Here's a list of the worst hitters in baseball this season:Rk Player OPS+ 1 Alexis Rios 56 2 Aaron Hill 58 3 Adam Dunn 61 4 Mark Ellis 62 5 Alex Gonzalez 65 6 Orlando Cabrera 66 7 Chris Getz 68 8 Ian Desmond 68 9 Vernon Wells 69 10 Alcides Escobar 70 Pretty crazy that he was able to get rid of these guys.."Things are looking up, though. Alex Anthopoulos is the It GM. He's so hot right now. He can live out the dreams of every Canadian if he wants to -- get his face on a set of O-Pee-Chee cards, date former You Can't Do That on Television stars, you name it. He's the toast of Canada."
  • 3 months later...

From rotoworld:"According to FOX Sports' Ken Rosenthal, the Blue Jays want Martin Prado but trade talks haven't gone well.Rosenthal says the two organizations "do not match up" because Atlanta seeks a powerful left fielder in return and Toronto doesn't have one. Prado has also drawn interest from the Rockies, Tigers and Twins. He's likely to be shopped heavily at this week's Winter Meetings in Dallas, Texas."Two thoughts: i) Rosenthal (followed closely by Jon Paul Morosi) throws more shit at the wall than any sportswriter I've ever heard. He's like the eklund of baseball, except he's one of the biggest writers out there.ii) The Jays have Snider, Thames and Encarnacion. All powerful(ish), all capable of playing LF. So what's the problem?I'd love getting Prado if we can slot him back in at 2B. I hope the Jays don't bat him #2 or anything crazy like most teams would, and stick him closer to the bottom of the lineup, but he'd be a solid acquisition.