New Blog Was Very Interesting (although I Disagree With It)

Found Daniel's most recent blog extremely interesting and a very good read. I completly disagree with the implications that T.J Cloutier wouldn't be competitive in today's environment if he was at his prime. My opinion is that if T.J was 45 instead of 71 he would still be very successful. There are very few competitors in any sport who have "Doyle Brunson" genes, so to even try to compare someone in the twilight of his career is a little unfair I think. I definitely think in PLO tourneys and Pot limt Hold em tourneys TJ still has the most impressive tournament resume of anyone. In his prime, I believe he would have adjusted to the changes in style of play and aggressiveness in today's game - obviously his health problems and age would make it hard for him to compete now. Let me remind you he is the only person to have won Omaha bracelets in all three variations PLO, limit high, and omaha hi lo. (and these are all games where post-flop play is crucial) As far as what was said about Hellmuth I thought it was 100 percent on the money, but why tell him? I know - he won't listen anyway but something might permeate his brain. The sick thing is that Daniel plays a tournament style (and always has) that is closer to Hellmuth's style than any other player out there - right from the early days of their success - which makes it possible Phil might secretly pay attention to what he has to say. Personally, I think a couple of years of struggling would humble Phil enough to motivate him to improve his level of play, while if he were to win 1 bracelet every two or 3 years that would define his idea of "success" and he would continue to be the same type of player he is now- a non-threat in most situations but tough to beat in 2000 player donkfests.P.S. when I say similiar styles obviously Daniel's is more advanced and successful.

It is a phrase Doyle uses to describe his ability to still travel all over the world and play at the highest levels well into his 70's. That is what I meant by "Brunson genes". I am sure T.J. wishes he never picked up his dice habit but we are talking about poker ability - specifcally the ability to adjust and adapt to your opponents which he did better than anyone for over 20 years.

I don't see a 'poker-only' qualifier in "My opinion is that if T.J was 45 instead of 71 he would still be very successful."My opinion is that things that were happening back then might be the cause of what's going on now. He just sold his last wsop bracelet, didn't he?How bad would things have to be going for you in order for you to start selling things like that?

Daniel's blog was about contrasting styles of old school vs new school tournament players........... I think T.J. pawned the bracelet several years ago, and it just garnered attention when the bracelet was put on E-bay or something along those lines. The website which currently has the bracelet is supposed to be giving it back to him but it is definitely ridiculous for someone who earned 9.7 million in tournament winnings to have found themselves in such a spot. In the last 5 years I believe he has had heart surgery and numerous other health problems but there is really no excuse. However 2/3 of the "famous" poker players the average person would recognize have been broke, many numerous times. It was a harsh reality which has been softened somewhat by the advent of online sites paying entry fees, travel, etc (and yet sponsored pros still go broke too)Guess no one really cares on this forum but I can directly attribute my success in poker to reading T.J's books, and he was always a class act at the tables, even after 4 runner up finishes in the Main Event and more major poker titles than any player in history - I wouldn't even put Phil Hellmuth in the same sentence.

Daniel's blog was about contrasting styles of old school vs new school tournament players........... I think T.J. pawned the bracelet several years ago, and it just garnered attention when the bracelet was put on E-bay or something along those lines. The website which currently has the bracelet is supposed to be giving it back to him but it is definitely ridiculous for someone who earned 9.7 million in tournament winnings to have found themselves in such a spot. In the last 5 years I believe he has had heart surgery and numerous other health problems but there is really no excuse. However 2/3 of the "famous" poker players the average person would recognize have been broke, many numerous times. It was a harsh reality which has been softened somewhat by the advent of online sites paying entry fees, travel, etc (and yet sponsored pros still go broke too)Guess no one really cares on this forum but I can directly attribute my success in poker to reading T.J's books, and he was always a class act at the tables, even after 4 runner up finishes in the Main Event and more major poker titles than any player in history - I wouldn't even put Phil Hellmuth in the same sentence.
I am not trying to take anything away from his success at the poker table. I am just saying that he has other 'issues', and I don't really think he's a role model type, which I could consider doyle. But I don't.
  • 3 weeks later...

yeah, simply put TJ sucks at poker. Brunson is just an amazing human being.also, off topic, anyone know why TJ is not seriously affiliated with any online site? I'm sure there'd be some online site willing to giving him some sort of steady income for his name, and I'm sure he could do with whatever cash he can get. Real poker fans know how TJ is, but he still has an impressive enough resume to impress nearly all casual poker fans.

yeah, simply put TJ sucks at poker. Brunson is just an amazing human being.also, off topic, anyone know why TJ is not seriously affiliated with any online site? I'm sure there'd be some online site willing to giving him some sort of steady income for his name, and I'm sure he could do with whatever cash he can get. Real poker fans know how TJ is, but he still has an impressive enough resume to impress nearly all casual poker fans.
Yeah - I remember TJ from the Poker Mountain days and he would chat (slowly) back if you chatted with him. Not sure why he didn't hook up with another site - he has the name recognition for sure.