Multipot Ft. Tpgk

What to do in this situation?The game has just started, and its full of unknowns so no real readsPokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, 11 Tournament, 10/20 Blinds (8 handed) - Poker-Stars Replayer from Poker Hands Replayer828.gifMP1 (t1500)MP2 (t1490)CO (t1490)Button (t1220)SB (t2970)Avii (BB) (t1610)UTG (t1500)UTG+1 (t1720)Avii's M: 53.67Preflop: Avii is BB with K :ts, Q :5cUTG bets t60, 3 folds, CO calls t60, Button calls t60, 1 fold, Avii calls t40Flop: (t250) Q :club:, 6 :3h, 5 :4h(4 players)Hero (t1550) ?

As played c/c or c/f depending on the later action this street. Odds are a cbet is coming from UTG.The better play is fold pre-flop. Your hand isn't that strong. Any of the villains can play AQ this way. You have no information and you're are out of position. By folding you can never put yourself in this situation. Plus, it's the first level so you have plenty of play left.

zomg! c/c unless sick action happens and hopefully you will be heads up on the turn. Dont lead, Utg is probably going to come over the top with like 90% of his range, even if he missed, so just check call and see where we are on the turn. And really given the pot odds and being multiway, dont ever fold pre we have good expressed odds and if we hit big someone will probably (hopefully) have something and pay us off for at least a street or two!

I think this is a bet-fold.. ... I think this is a spot where we need to know where we are
:club: If I'm Villain and you donk into me here, I'm raising you with 100% of my UTG range so you will never "know where you are."Donking is beyond awful here. Fold pre, but as played c/c and re-eval.
dont ever fold pre we have good expressed odds and if we hit big ...
So...you're playing to hit a straight or T2P only? Might as well play any SCs then, right? How does KQo look against an UTG opening range?
:club: If I'm Villain and you donk into me here, I'm raising you with 100% of my UTG range so you will never "know where you are."Donking is beyond awful here. Fold pre, but as played c/c and re-eval.
yea, you're right
Folding pre i think is pretty nitty seeing that we have a decent hand to play post flop and the money in the pot already...and yes, I would call sooted connectors and such here a lot of the times too. But yea, I agree that this flop is a check/call and then re-eval on the turn. I'm prolly c/c'ing every street b/c people are really stupidOh, and yea...donking here isn't as horrible as it sounds b/c its a multiway pot, but I just don't like building a pot with a marginal hand in this situation.
Folding pre i think is pretty nitty seeing that we have a decent hand to play post flop and the money in the pot already...and yes, I would call sooted connectors and such here a lot of the times too.
Dude, I've seen you open 72o utg! We know you'd call here.
So...you're playing to hit a straight or T2P only? Might as well play any SCs then, right? How does KQo look against an UTG opening range?
with that much dead money yah, thats a hhuuugggeee pot im willing to kind of play the lottery with that kind of odds, just with the understanding we check raise or check call, i hate donking also
It was UTG+1...I raised 94o UTG :club:
zomg that is how it is done son! HAHAHAHA
Folding pre i think is pretty nitty seeing that we have a decent hand to play post flop and the money in the pot alreadyin this situation.
With stacks so deep yes I'm calling here too. When blinds start climbing is when I"m folding.I'd try to play this as passively as possible after seeing this flop.
I tend to agree, because "odds" calls in tourney poker are going to siphon off your stack if you keep it up. All things being equal, I've been seeing a fair amount of UTG moves with wider than expected ranges, so calling here could make sense. The problem is that AK/AQ have you dominated and you won't know it until it's too late. Perhaps a re-raise PF?However, being first to act occasionally (imo) has a bonus. When you hit the flop hard, you can C/R and call/fold to a three bet (highly dependant on a number of factors), possibly saving yourself some chipws on the turn/river. This is one of those times where a min C/R will either take it down or reveal that one of the villains hit the flop harder. If it's checked around and a card peels off, another check will induce a bet almost certainly and you can call that bet, if it's not to big, and see a river and make a play dependant on board texture.
  • 2 weeks later...

It depends on the villains, but in these multiway spots I often donkbet 180 or so.Reasons:1) I don't think UTG will raise a lot without a strong hand. Not many people like raising here with AK or TT with two people left to act and one guy already showing he has something.2) For the same reasons, UTG may choose not to c-bet when we check, and it's likely to check around after that. I don't want to give free cards to 78, 67, Ax, etc. We have a good chance of having the best hand here - I want to make people pay to catch up.2.5) It will make the hand a bit easier to play. Yes, this statement is awfully close to the dreaded "finding out where we stand". Making a play partially to get information really isn't that bad, and the value of information goes up a lot in multiway pots. There is a dangerous flip side to this, though: we're giving villains a lot of information about our hand as well. This is what I mean by "it depends on the villains" in the first line of this post. If for example button is a tricky player who knows us well and will try to get us off KQ when it folds to him, I may play it differently.To summarize, I'm not saying donkbetting is always the best option in this spot, but it is definitely not as bad as the universally accepted slogan "never donkbet" makes it appear to be.(Edit: this is how I play it in an MTT. I now realize this is probably a SNG. I don't think it's very different there, but I'm not a SNG expert.)