The Official Phil Kessel Thread

Just wondering Serge, why is today all Kessel day, and whats happened to all the Kadri talk? :)

Its Boston..Its Kessel..He is our best player..

Kadri is great too..

Zach...

All those guys are centres..I should edit and say he is the best playmaking winger.

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Kessel has some sort of social anxiety disorder. If the Leafs want to get him counselling for that, fine, but if his knees buckle at the site of 300 reporters in a scrum come playoff time, and he back

I have a feeling that if your team had been in the playoffs 22 yrs your media would still be stupid.

why not beat a dead horse a little more.

The mistake in the trade if their was one wasn't Kessel as he's been just what the Leafs thought they were getting. It was they thought their team was going to be a lot better than it was so the picks they gave up had more value. If the pick is even the 5th pick and Boston gets Nino Niederettttttttttttttttter there wouldn't be nearly the same criticism

why not beat a dead horse a little more.

The mistake in the trade if their was one wasn't Kessel as he's been just what the Leafs thought they were getting. It was they thought their team was going to be a lot better than it was so the picks they gave up had more value. If the pick is even the 5th pick and Boston gets Nino Niederettttttttttttttttter there wouldn't be nearly the same criticism

This is exactly my feelings. Burke made a calculated gamble...The trade had a chance to be a laugher in favour of the Leafs....Sort of like acquiring Phaneuf, Lupul and Franson

This is exactly my feelings. Burke made a calculated gamble...The trade had a chance to be a laugher in favour of the Leafs....Sort of like acquiring Phaneuf, Lupul and Franson

I don't think it was ever going to be a laugher. Even if the Leafs were a playoff team the trade made perfect sense for Boston.

He miscalculated, he f'ed up, they would be much better with Seguin+Hamilton+______.

That said, he went after the guy he wanted, and good for him. Sometimes you swing and miss.

(Just wanted to kick the horse one more time)

He miscalculated, he f'ed up, they would be much better with Seguin+Hamilton+______.

That said, he went after the guy he wanted, and good for him. Sometimes you swing and miss.

false

Phil Kessel has refused to speak to the media today.

Robbing the media of an AMAZING interview.

LOL

Kessel might be in the hall of fame of worst interviews.

This is why it's a waste of time talking about the Kessel trade, Serge.

You think the above statement is false and everyone else who knows what they're talking about knows it's true. Kessel is doing exactly what everyone thought he would do.

This is why it's a waste of time talking about the Kessel trade, Serge.

You think the above statement is false and everyone else who knows what they're talking about knows it's true. Kessel is doing exactly what everyone thought he would do.

Double False

Incorrect on the Kessel part - the concern at the time was that he wouldn't be able to do much without Savard and other help. He has been excellent. Would the Leafs be better off with Seguin/Hamilton/etc? Probably. Though if you told us at the time of the deal that we were two years away from a playoff appearance (and fighting for home ice until the last week), we would've had very different opinions about the deal.

Kessel has been better than most people expected, and the Leafs were worse than most people expected over the couple years following, leading to higher than expected picks. I was strongly against the deal at the time, but if I had known Kessel would be as good as he has been, I wouldn't have had a problem with it. The Bruins did very well to get Seguin and Hamilton, but they were far from guaranteed to get two such valuable players with those picks.

Serge is wrong here, but I don't think there's a need to overstate things.

Incorrect on the Kessel part - the concern at the time was that he wouldn't be able to do much without Savard and other help. He has been excellent. Would the Leafs be better off with Seguin/Hamilton/etc? Probably. Though if you told us at the time of the deal that we were two years away from a playoff appearance (and fighting for home ice until the last week), we would've had very different opinions about the deal.

Kessel has been better than most people expected, and the Leafs were worse than most people expected over the couple years following, leading to higher than expected picks. I was strongly against the deal at the time, but if I had known Kessel would be as good as he has been, I wouldn't have had a problem with it. The Bruins did very well to get Seguin and Hamilton, but they were far from guaranteed to get two such valuable players with those picks.

Serge is wrong here, but I don't think there's a need to overstate things.

Me being wrong is your own clouded biased opinion.

Simple question :

If the trade ended up being Kessel for Derek Forbort and JT Miller what would you say?

All the people that hate the trade are just like the poker players that are result oriented. At the time Burke felt the pick would not be a lottery pick. Most people didn't.

He didn't trade Tyler Seguin or Dougie Hamilton. He traded picks that unfortunately turned into those.

Kessel s numbers the last 4 years are matched by a very few in the NHL. Players like that are impossible to acquire thru free agency.

Me being wrong is your own clouded biased opinion.

Simple question :

If the trade ended up being Kessel for Derek Forbort and JT Miller what would you say?

All the people that hate the trade are just like the poker players that are result oriented. At the time Burke felt the pick would not be a lottery pick. Most people didn't.

He didn't trade Tyler Seguin or Dougie Hamilton. He traded picks that unfortunately turned into those.

Kessel s numbers the last 4 years are matched by a very few in the NHL. Players like that are impossible to acquire thru free agency.

You're wrong for the same reason you were wrong two years ago - it was a stupid move to make at the time, given reasonable questions about Kessel's ability, and the status of the Leafs roster. It was a moral hazard deal - Burke probably knew his job wasn't safe for the several years a full rebuild would take, so he tried to move up the timeline.

If you're going to allow for the possibility that the Leafs get Forbort and Miller, you have to allow for the possibility that Kessel turned into Mikhail Grabovsky when taken away from Savard.

All players involved in the deal have been excellent, which no one could have foreseen. But what we could foresee was that, at best, the Leafs would get a great player who would only be under contract for a year or two of competitiveness, whereas the 3 picks would give them a ton more cheap service time of (likely) high picks, that would fit better with the development timeframes of the Leafs other players.

You're wrong for the same reason you were wrong two years ago - it was a stupid move to make at the time, given reasonable questions about Kessel's ability, and the status of the Leafs roster. It was a moral hazard deal - Burke probably knew his job wasn't safe for the several years a full rebuild would take, so he tried to move up the timeline.

If you're going to allow for the possibility that the Leafs get Forbort and Miller, you have to allow for the possibility that Kessel turned into Mikhail Grabovsky when taken away from Savard.

All players involved in the deal have been excellent, which no one could have foreseen. But what we could foresee was that, at best, the Leafs would get a great player who would only be under contract for a year or two of competitiveness, whereas the 3 picks would give them a ton more cheap service time of (likely) high picks, that would fit better with the development timeframes of the Leafs other players.

Your argument is weak at best...You had a proven commodity of a player with the talent of Kessel...Who scored 36 goals as a 21 year old..Who was a top 5 pick..Traded him for two unproven players, yet alone the quality of pick..

Wrong , weak and ill informed...

Your argument is weak at best...You had a proven commodity of a player with the talent of Kessel...Who scored 36 goals as a 21 year old..Who was a top 5 pick..Traded him for two unproven players, yet alone the quality of pick..

Wrong , weak and ill informed...

As you did a few years ago, you listed several arguments that are completely irrelevant. If an expansion AHL team acquires Crosby on an expiring contract for a 2nd-round pick, is that a good deal? No, it makes no sense. They'll miss the playoffs anyway, and they could've used the 2nd round pick on a player that they might've actually used when it was useful.

As you did a few years ago, you listed several arguments that are completely irrelevant. If an expansion AHL team acquires Crosby on an expiring contract for a 2nd-round pick, is that a good deal? No, it makes no sense. They'll miss the playoffs anyway, and they could've used the 2nd round pick on a player that they might've actually used when it was useful.

We can agree to disagree..We are both Leaf fans right?

GO LEAFS GO my brother from the east who loves tennis bets.

We can agree to disagree..We are both Leaf fans right?

GO LEAFS GO my brother from the east who loves tennis bets.

Maybe. Brought my son into the office yesterday, wearing his tiny Leafs jacket. Most of my office is Bruins and Habs fans, so we had some fun with that.

I hope Phil Kessel scores 4 goals tonight and then responds to every reporter's question with, "Can you count?"

I hope Phil Kessel scores 4 goals tonight and then responds to every reporter's question with, "Can you count?"

LOL that would be awesome..

That was classic yesterday , his response to Rosie Romanno..I find her annoying..

btw..

The media (the mainstream media) got all upset Monday that Kessel didnt speak..Big deal...Like he ever says anything anyway..If you want a good quote , go talk to Bozak and Lupul..

They complained he didn't talk to them and then when he did they asked about the same old shit AND they were rude.

He's clearly someone who is not comfortable in that situation. I don't think all players should be required to talk to media.

I would love to write media releases on his behalf. 😜

I wish he'd just come out for the news scrum, throw up a middle finger and slowly rotate around the scrum, then walk out.