Announcing The New Ahl Owners

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bink! called it 5yrs ago, championship season.

Relax buddy

Yes

any chance we hear of this idea today?
There is no one idea and it's too late to do anything for this year.There are a couple structural problems with the pool now that it's mature.1. Vast disparity between the top and bottom teams that takes a long long time to change2. Not enough players of any quality available in the free agent auctionThere are many different things taken together that can help with this. Tony of Shoot Loose and I were on the phone for a couple hours on Sunday talking about some things.Here are a few ideas.1. This one will happen for sure but it appears not before next season. A new rule that requires a team to call up a player from the farm to the active roster once he enters a season with some number of real life NHL games. If a player isn't called up other teams will have the ability to claim that player. Exact details to be worked out but this should be a no brainer. We can call this the Toews rule.2. Tony really thinks that a hard cap on the amount of money that you have available at the draft and to sign your team will be a good thing and I agree. This way a team like mine will have to make some tough decisions and will have to trade actual players in their prime to other teams instead of trading for money to be able to keep them.3. We need to come up with other ways as well that make it so that players become too expensive to sign and have to be put in the free agent draft sooner. We can possibly decrease the amount of money from $60 to a lower number or maybe come up with something that makes certain players even more expensive such as minimum increase for players in the top groupings even if they're signed long term.4. I think we should do a one time draft of talent from the good teams to the others. Something where a team like mine would lose some real assets. This would help with league parity.I hope we have time at the draft to really discuss and come up with ideas to work on both the parity issue and the lack of players being available in the free agent draft.
1. This one will happen for sure but it appears not before next season. A new rule that requires a team to call up a player from the farm to the active roster once he enters a season with some number of real life NHL games. If a player isn't called up other teams will have the ability to claim that player. Exact details to be worked out but this should be a no brainer. We can call this the Toews rule.
I've been arguing off and on for something like this in the FCHL for the last year or so, I think once a player has 100 NHL games he either needs to be called up to the active roster or made available to other teams in the league, hoarding is bad for everyone.Alternatively, you can keep the player on your farm past the deadline, but his starting salary goes up a quarter for every 10 games...I dunno.
I've been arguing off and on for something like this in the FCHL for the last year or so, I think once a player has 100 NHL games he either needs to be called up to the active roster or made available to other teams in the league, hoarding is bad for everyone.Alternatively, you can keep the player on your farm past the deadline, but his starting salary goes up a quarter for every 10 games...I dunno.
Even as one of the main hoarders I think something like this is needed.

I have been trying to get the owners to agree to not having any juniors drafted. While we made progress by only having first two rounds for juniors, its still not how i like it.The draft should be an equalization draft like the NHL. The worst team should get the best player.Crosby,Ovechkin,Malkin and recently Tavares never went to the worst team.Guys like Bob who can afford to sit on a draft pick for 4 years, just went and drafted these guys 2, 3 and in the case of Crosby 4 years out.

I have been trying to get the owners to agree to not having any juniors drafted. While we made progress by only having first two rounds for juniors, its still not how i like it.The draft should be an equalization draft like the NHL. The worst team should get the best player.Crosby,Ovechkin,Malkin and recently Tavares never went to the worst team.Guys like Bob who can afford to sit on a draft pick for 4 years, just went and drafted these guys 2, 3 and in the case of Crosby 4 years out.
I was under the impression that you couldnt draft juniors at all anymore. Just as an aside, this part of the rules is badly written."Only players who have previously been drafted and have fewer than 10 games of NHL experience who has not been a member of any other Alternative League Hockey team qualify to be drafted. The order of the draft will be in reverse order of the previous year's standings. Each draft will consist of five rounds (FOUR rounds beginning with the 2008-09 draft), with all non playoff teams selecting first. Players acquired in this draft will not be considered part of your roster, Rather they will be in your farm system and will not receive a salary until called up. You may call up a player at any time. However, once he has been called up, he cannot be sent back down. The only exception to this rule is during spring call ups. At the time of the free agent draft, your minor league roster cannot exceed 20 players. Prior to and afterwards, you may have as many minor leaguers as you wish. Players which have not been drafted by NHL teams are eligible to be drafted in the first or second rounds only. "The first sentence and last sentence contradict.I thought it was only players who are either drafted or signed by NHL teams. So we can take 15yr olds or whoever?
Even as one of the main hoarders I think something like this is needed.
Maybe we could implement both parts, say that a farm player must be called up after his first 100 games or start adding a quarter to his starting salary for every ten games, up to a max of 200 NHL games after which the player is automatically dropped to waivers and returned to his original base salary. If the original team gets the player in a waiver claim, so be it. Serge, I agree with you, having junior players eligible for the draft is bad for business. No one wants to own a team that is always in the basement with basically no hope of escape. I'm also not really a fan of the rule in the AHL that players can be signed and resigned forever (as long as they get the required raises), that adds to the hopelessness if your team falls out of reasonable contention. One or the other would probably be ok, but having both is what's causing the problem.
Maybe we could implement both parts, say that a farm player must be called up after his first 100 games or start adding a quarter to his starting salary for every ten games, up to a max of 200 NHL games after which the player is automatically dropped to waivers and returned to his original base salary. If the original team gets the player in a waiver claim, so be it. Serge, I agree with you, having junior players eligible for the draft is bad for business. No one wants to own a team that is always in the basement with basically no hope of escape. I'm also not really a fan of the rule in the AHL that players can be signed and resigned forever (as long as they get the required raises), that adds to the hopelessness if your team falls out of reasonable contention. One or the other would probably be ok, but having both is what's causing the problem.
1. I agree FCHL has to set limits on farm players. Not sure you want to get that much more convoluted with raises and what not though. GP or age, there needs to be a cutoff. Limiting farm rosters was a good first step, this should come next. But I can understand others' objections. It would have to be grandfathered in somehow.2. If you eliminate being able to keep a farm player on your team indefinetly, and you have a decent raise given to players in their 2nd contract, you would alleviate a lot of those concerns, I believe. Also, something I have noticed in my other pools, esp the ones I have done a long time. This is a really different time in the NHL, where many of the top scorers are very young. So what you seem to have in my other keeper pools is that many of the top players, and even secondary stars, are still on people's farm teams or have just recently been called up and are at historically speaking, very very low prices. Even in one of my pools that has restrictions on farm time, and only allows 1 contract, there is still a difficultly in finding top talent at the main auction.
I was under the impression that you couldnt draft juniors at all anymore. Just as an aside, this part of the rules is badly written."Only players who have previously been drafted and have fewer than 10 games of NHL experience who has not been a member of any other Alternative League Hockey team qualify to be drafted. The order of the draft will be in reverse order of the previous year's standings. Each draft will consist of five rounds (FOUR rounds beginning with the 2008-09 draft), with all non playoff teams selecting first. Players acquired in this draft will not be considered part of your roster, Rather they will be in your farm system and will not receive a salary until called up. You may call up a player at any time. However, once he has been called up, he cannot be sent back down. The only exception to this rule is during spring call ups. At the time of the free agent draft, your minor league roster cannot exceed 20 players. Prior to and afterwards, you may have as many minor leaguers as you wish. Players which have not been drafted by NHL teams are eligible to be drafted in the first or second rounds only. "The first sentence and last sentence contradict.I thought it was only players who are either drafted or signed by NHL teams. So we can take 15yr olds or whoever?
Darrell might have been lax in updating the rules but we haven't been able to draft Juniors or take them in the Auction for a couple years now.
Darrell might have been lax in updating the rules but we haven't been able to draft Juniors or take them in the Auction for a couple years now.
really, maybe i slept throught he last two years.
either way, its the main reason why Bob is so strong...
My overall drafting is the reason, in the last few years that we did Junior drafting I actually didn't take that many.Drafting guys like Zetterberg and Green in the 5th round is why I'm so strong.
we do have the 6 year limit imposed in the fchl but obv just entering the 4th year this has yet to come into effect. are we looking for more grandfathering than this?
http://www.realfantasysports.net/fchl/foru...opic.php?t=3329I didn't realise it had progressed beyond the prosal stage but thanks for bringing it up. Might have caught out more than a few ppl.

I have some ideas for simple tweaks that will help the FA draft become more exciting and will likely implement them NEXT season. In years past we drafted juniors and their salaries started at $3.00 no matter what. We no longer allow juniors to be drafted which WILL help with parity, it will just take a few years, but it's only been about 2 years. Three years down the road all of the best talent should be going to the WORST teams. My idea will help... Serge! LOL, I can't believe I'm saying that. My idea will create more value on the waiver wire and will also provide more high end talent to be available at the free agent draft, and it is VERY simple. Currently, this is the set up for drafted players:1st $2.002nd $1.503rd $1.004th $0.50 Now that guys like Ovechkin and Crosby don't come in at $3.00 anymore, it's very easy to sign them for life. 5 years at 2.50, then MAYBE like $7 in the late years. I'm probably going to change those values to:1st $3.002nd $2.003rd $1.504th $1.00 1st round picks are WAY more valuable than 2nd round picks in our pool, so a bigger separation in salary there makes sense. Making this change will force high end talent salaries to hit the $10 mark eventually, and then we can have the bidding wars we've had in years past.

I have some ideas for simple tweaks that will help the FA draft become more exciting and will likely implement them NEXT season. In years past we drafted juniors and their salaries started at $3.00 no matter what. We no longer allow juniors to be drafted which WILL help with parity, it will just take a few years, but it's only been about 2 years. Three years down the road all of the best talent should be going to the WORST teams. My idea will help... Serge! LOL, I can't believe I'm saying that. My idea will create more value on the waiver wire and will also provide more high end talent to be available at the free agent draft, and it is VERY simple. Currently, this is the set up for drafted players:1st $2.002nd $1.503rd $1.004th $0.50 Now that guys like Ovechkin and Crosby don't come in at $3.00 anymore, it's very easy to sign them for life. 5 years at 2.50, then MAYBE like $7 in the late years. I'm probably going to change those values to:1st $3.002nd $2.003rd $1.504th $1.00 1st round picks are WAY more valuable than 2nd round picks in our pool, so a bigger separation in salary there makes sense. Making this change will force high end talent salaries to hit the $10 mark eventually, and then we can have the bidding wars we've had in years past.
so with your changes Daniel, how likely would it be that the 2nd contract would still be fairly affordable to most teams? And I dont just mean for the Ovechkins of the world, but also the Backstroms, Perrys and Toews.....the second tier, guys who might finish in the top 10-25.
so with your changes Daniel, how likely would it be that the 2nd contract would still be fairly affordable to most teams? And I dont just mean for the Ovechkins of the world, but also the Backstroms, Perrys and Toews.....the second tier, guys who might finish in the top 10-25.
Absolutely affordable, yet the last few years, say when I guy hits 30, it will get tough to keep him and that's the point. That's what happens in the NHL too. Let's say you have a second round pick for 2.00. His rookie year you play him and he does "ok." He goes 2.50 for five years. Then 5 years later he's maybe 3.50 4.00 4.50 5.00 5.50 6.00. If he signs again he'd maybe be 7.25 and should be older and less effective as a player- you might let him go. Highest bidder may pay MORE than $8 for him. The real big jumps will happen with the top guns. Something like:3.00 to maybe 4.00 4.50 5.00 5.50 6.00 then in his prime if he is a top 6 guy: 8.50 the next year, 10.50 15.00... that's where they need to get to.
Absolutely affordable, yet the last few years, say when I guy hits 30, it will get tough to keep him and that's the point. That's what happens in the NHL too. Let's say you have a second round pick for 2.00. His rookie year you play him and he does "ok." He goes 2.50 for five years. Then 5 years later he's maybe 3.50 4.00 4.50 5.00 5.50 6.00. If he signs again he'd maybe be 7.25 and should be older and less effective as a player- you might let him go. Highest bidder may pay MORE than $8 for him. The real big jumps will happen with the top guns. Something like:3.00 to maybe 4.00 4.50 5.00 5.50 6.00 then in his prime if he is a top 6 guy: 8.50 the next year, 10.50 15.00... that's where they need to get to.
There is another really somewhat radical approach you could take as well, especially for that second contract. All depends on how detailed you want to get.A pool I was in was always trying hard to mimic the NHL, and the same way UFA's used to be 32yrs old, and RFA's were younger, we decided that the players 2nd contract was essentially an RFA style. Meaning, another owner could put in a higher offer, and the current owner of the player would have a certain amount of time to match the offer. We found it too hard to admin, but that was also because of the lack of a need/desire for it, cause most guys just wanted to do away with 2nd contracts and keep the "keeper" part of the pool short term. Just a thought, and it might be kinda nuts, but it would really alleviate the possibiilty of domination/dynasty. Just throwing it out there.Problem is, it doesnt solve the issue of lack of any real talent at your main auction. If that is an issue those of you running the league care to fix.

Just curious, but is another problem the fact that you guys use AHL stats to base a players contract, instead of his true NHL production? What I mean is, a guy like Lecavalier could be due a small raise cause his owner tried to keep him in tier 3?whereas a Ryan Malone type (steady 40-50pts a year) is sometimes owed more because he played more AHL games and his stats are higher than Vinny and put him in tier 2?

As you may know, in FCHL, any given player can be on a roster for one season. These players can either be a farm player you've called up, or a free agent you've signed throughout the year, or won at auction. After the season ends, you have the option to sign them to an extension ranging from 1-5 years. Just like in the AHL, they are grouped into tiers, and pay increases are calculated. After that extension has run it's course, then that player becomes a UFA and goes back into the free agent pool. You can still sign that player the next season, the only thing is that you'll have to pay market value for him at the auction.