Trap And Skeet

I just started shooting trap and skeet a couple of weeks ago. It's so much fun. Anybody else here into it?I bought a Benelli supersport with a 30 inch barrel. Such a sweet gun. Any tips from experienced shooters would be welcome.

i shot a rabbit today with my pellet gun. my mom hates them in her vegi garden. i thought the .38 special would kill it...but i just wanted to stun it. does that help?

Just yesterday I was clearing some brush and found a few clay pigeons that had apparently escaped the previous owner's precision shooting.And then this topic comes up. It's the first time I'd seen one in decades.I've done it, but it was a long time ago. It's something I wish I could be good at, but I was pretty terrible.EDIT: My wife, on the other hand, won some kind of media personality skeet charity thing on the first time she ever tried it.

Trap, Skeet, Sporting Clay...Great fun.Tips?Learn to lead and swing with the target. Use the weight of the gun as an asset, not as something to fight against. Understand that you're shooting a "Cloud" not a single point. Don't rush. You have way more time than you may think. Don't bother with a 20 gauge always shoot a 12.Recently my father gave me his Browning 12 Gauge over-under. Best gun I've ever shot. I have no son so may have to be buried with it.

The best method, imo, is to swing through the target. Be sure to keep swinging the barrell when firing. A common mistake is stop when pulling the trigger which will result in shooting behind the target. When shooting a shotgun you point the gun at the target, don't aim.

Trap, Skeet, Sporting Clay...Great fun.Tips?Learn to lead and swing with the target. Use the weight of the gun as an asset, not as something to fight against. Understand that you're shooting a "Cloud" not a single point. Don't rush. You have way more time than you may think. Don't bother with a 20 gauge always shoot a 12.Recently my father gave me his Browning 12 Gauge over-under. Best gun I've ever shot. I have no son so may have to be buried with it.
not much time with the doubles. the singles yah but the doubles is pretty much bang bang, no time for dilly dallying. i have a 12 guage. What do you think of the Benelli supersport?
Isn't Trap and Skeet slang for "date rape"?You guys disgust me, talking in code like that...
lol
The best method, imo, is to swing through the target. Be sure to keep swinging the barrell when firing. A common mistake is stop when pulling the trigger which will result in shooting behind the target. When shooting a shotgun you point the gun at the target, don't aim.
I've been watching some videos of olympic caliber skeet shooters and they don't really swing as much as you would think. It's a little motion right then left. the swing was much less than I had imagined. I saw one guy at the club have major follow through and it seemed to work for him but I have little follow through and still do decent.

Heres a little known trick for endless amusement at someone elses expense...The night before shooting, gently open the end of a few shells and dump the shot out. Leave the wadding and push the crimp back togetherMost of the drunks I pull this stunt on dont notice the lightweight of the shell, but if you hang around more observant folks you can hacksaw a slug in half and add for weight. This is required if the gun is an auto loader for cycling purposes. Its a good idea anyway for "kick" on the doubles, tooIts extremely difficult to keep a straight face when they miss every single one.... one friend of mine threw down his gun in an absolute rampage one eveningNo straight faces were involved in that, for sure

Heres a little known trick for endless amusement at someone elses expense...The night before shooting, gently open the end of a few shells and dump the shot out. Leave the wadding and push the crimp back togetherMost of the drunks I pull this stunt on dont notice the lightweight of the shell, but if you hang around more observant folks you can hacksaw a slug in half and add for weight. This is required if the gun is an auto loader for cycling purposes. Its a good idea anyway for "kick" on the doubles, tooIts extremely difficult to keep a straight face when they miss every single one.... one friend of mine threw down his gun in an absolute rampage one eveningNo straight faces were involved in that, for sure
Yeah, see, for me Practical Jokes (and Drinking) and Guns just simply aren't things that I mix.The amusing can become downright deadly when you have a gun.An example: a guy I know had a 357 Magnum. Absolute hand cannon. When his wife would shoot it he'd load it with .38 Special rounds or half-loads. One day he decided to play a little trick on his wife and load a single full Magnum load with the other 5 rounds. When the 357 load hit she wasn't ready for that kick - she'd never shot a full load. The gun slammed back into her head smashing a gash in her forehead and splitting open the palm of her hand. Ha ha. Great fun that day I am sure.
i have a 12 guage. What do you think of the Benelli supersport?
I know they ain't cheap.Never actually shot one so no direct experience - but Benelli has a good reputation. I haven't done much long gun shooting is quite some time.
nah, sounds funny but I would never screw around with someone else's ammo. I def. would be pissed ifsomeone did that to me.
  • 2 months later...

bump. went to hamilton gun club today. did some trapshooting. def. think its time for lessons. It's about my fifth time going to shoot trap and I've hit a plateau i think. I'm hitting about 17 to 20 out of 25 and dont' think i can get much better without professional help.

Isn't Trap and Skeet slang for "date rape"?You guys disgust me, talking in code like that...
Trap is a place where drugs are soldSkeet is to "to shoot one's man juice upon your bitch"
An example: a guy I know had a 357 Magnum. Absolute hand cannon. When his wife would shoot it he'd load it with .38 Special rounds or half-loads. One day he decided to play a little trick on his wife and load a single full Magnum load with the other 5 rounds. When the 357 load hit she wasn't ready for that kick - she'd never shot a full load. The gun slammed back into her head smashing a gash in her forehead and splitting open the palm of her hand. Ha ha. Great fun that day I am sure.
I don't think a .357 qualifies as an 'absolute hand cannon' but I agree with the general sentiment.Once upon a time, we decided to take an ******* from the office shooting.One of my absolute all-time favorite guns was a 10 (ten) gauge SXS shortened to 18". It was one of those great old high quality Spanish doubles that they imported in the 50's and 60's for prices that were totally not reflective of their quality (those types of guns today sell for real coin). Someone had effectively 'ruined' it by hacking down the barrel to 20" for use as a brush gun on bears, so I took off the remaining 2". Even at 18", the thing weighed more than any full length 12 gauge SXS I owned, due to the massive amount of steel used in the barrel and the enormous receiver. We called it the 'pumpkin' ; that ****** would kick the life out of your body, but it would also completely flatten anything you shot. When you read Peter Capstick, he talks about a very similar gun being used for wounded lions in the brush... When you absolutely, positively had to stop what you're shooting at dead in its tracks and kill it graveyard dead, a giant bore short double gun seems to be the desired medicine (they used 8/10 gauges, where one bore was 8 gauge and the other 10)Anyway, we loaded a couple 10 gauge slugs into some old brass hulls we had and let the dude shoot it for his first time ever shooting a firearm. First round turned him 180 degrees , immediately putting a look of desperation on his face. With the barrel pointed skyward, he accidentally kicked off round 2, pushing all the recoil downward and into his chest, knocking him to his ass. It was teh lulz.