Arlen Spector Just Switched Parties

awesome. gg America.http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D9...;show_article=1Statement by Sen. Arlen Specter:I have been a Republican since 1966. I have been working extremely hard for the Party, for its candidates and for the ideals of a Republican Party whose tent is big enough to welcome diverse points of view. While I have been comfortable being a Republican, my Party has not defined who I am. I have taken each issue one at a time and have exercised independent judgment to do what I thought was best for Pennsylvania and the nation.Since my election in 1980, as part of the Reagan Big Tent, the Republican Party has moved far to the right. Last year, more than 200,000 Republicans in Pennsylvania changed their registration to become Democrats. I now find my political philosophy more in line with Democrats than Republicans.When I supported the stimulus package, I knew that it would not be popular with the Republican Party. But I saw the stimulus as necessary to lessen the risk of a far more serious recession than we are now experiencing.Since then, I have traveled the state, talked to Republican leaders and office-holders and my supporters and I have carefully examined public opinion. It has become clear to me that the stimulus vote caused a schism which makes our differences irreconcilable. On this state of the record, I am unwilling to have my twenty-nine year Senate record judged by the Pennsylvania Republican primary electorate. I have not represented the Republican Party. I have represented the people of Pennsylvania.I have decided to run for reelection in 2010 in the Democratic primary.I am ready, willing and anxious to take on all comers and have my candidacy for reelection determined in a general election.I deeply regret that I will be disappointing many friends and supporters. I can understand their disappointment. I am also disappointed that so many in the Party I have worked for for more than four decades do not want me to be their candidate. It is very painful on both sides. I thank specially Senators McConnell and Cornyn for their forbearance.I am not making this decision because there are no important and interesting opportunities outside the Senate. I take on this complicated run for reelection because I am deeply concerned about the future of our country and I believe I have a significant contribution to make on many of the key issues of the day, especially medical research. NIH funding has saved or lengthened thousands of lives, including mine, and much more needs to be done. And my seniority is very important to continue to bring important projects vital to Pennsylvania's economy.I am taking this action now because there are fewer than thirteen months to the 2010 Pennsylvania Primary and there is much to be done in preparation for that election. Upon request, I will return campaign contributions contributed during this cycle.While each member of the Senate caucuses with his Party, what each of us hopes to accomplish is distinct from his party affiliation. The American people do not care which Party solves the problems confronting our nation. And no Senator, no matter how loyal he is to his Party, should or would put party loyalty above his duty to the state and nation.My change in party affiliation does not mean that I will be a party-line voter any more for the Democrats that I have been for the Republicans. Unlike Senator Jeffords' switch, which changed party control, I will not be an automatic 60th vote for cloture. For example, my position on Employees Free Choice (card check) will not change.Whatever my party affiliation, I will continue to be guided by President Kennedy's statement that sometimes party asks too much. When it does, I will continue my independent voting and follow my conscience on what I think is best for Pennsylvania and America.

That should say "officially" switched parties. He's been a RINO his entire career.I think this is a good thing for the Republicans. The more people like Specter that are Democrats, the worse the Dem's chances in the next election. The face of the Democratic party will be Pelosi, Reid, Specter, Dodd.... it's like an ad for brain damage.

You know how you feel when at Thanksgiving dinner, your crazy uncle who no one really likes, but he comes every single family function and just ruins it for everyone, and then he finally leaves?That's how I feel now.

That should say "officially" switched parties. He's been a RINO his entire career.I think this is a good thing for the Republicans. The more people like Specter that are Democrats, the worse the Dem's chances in the next election. The face of the Democratic party will be Pelosi, Reid, Specter, Dodd.... it's like an ad for brain damage.
You know how you feel when at Thanksgiving dinner, your crazy uncle who no one really likes, but he comes every single family function and just ruins it for everyone, and then he finally leaves?That's how I feel now.
My fear is that he has been holding back, trying to go with the party on stuff that doesn't matter much to him and that now he will be full blown Pelosi. If that happens, it won't be good.
Good News, he read the writing on the wall that republicans in Penn were about to kick him to the curb. The only question I have for the Republicans is "What took you so long"?As for his statement. Hogwash. His true motives for changing parties are simply and completely self interest. We as a people (no matter party affiliation) should always be weary of guys like this who cling to power so tightly and see themselves as indispensable.

How does this work, I am unfamiliar with the process. Does he just get to say he is a Democrat now, and that's it, there is nothing the people of PENN can say? They voted him in as a Republican.

How does this work, I am unfamiliar with the process. Does he just get to say he is a Democrat now, and that's it, there is nothing the people of PENN can say? They voted him in as a Republican.
HAHAHAHAHAHAYou NIAVE FOOLPoliticians don't care about you...You're just a voter, not a source of money...Must be a new world every morning for you :club:
They voted him in as a Republican.
This statement, IMO, is one of the things that is so grotesquely wrong with the Two Party System. It polarizes so much that people forget the WHOLE POINT - You are supposed to vote for the PERSON not the PARTY!!! Anyone who voted for that man because he was Republican in spite of who he had shown himself to be over his years in office is part of the problem. The Party is NOT more important than the Individual. Constitutionally speaking, and hopefully realistically, you didn’t vote for him as a Republican. It is thinking like this that leads to things like having to declare one’s Party affiliation before voting in a Primary that uses Public funds.
This statement, IMO, is one of the things that is so grotesquely wrong with the Two Party System. It polarizes so much that people forget the WHOLE POINT - You are supposed to vote for the PERSON not the PARTY!!! Anyone who voted for that man because he was Republican in spite of who he had shown himself to be over his years in office is part of the problem. The Party is NOT more important than the Individual. Constitutionally speaking, and hopefully realistically, you didn’t vote for him as a Republican. It is thinking like this that leads to things like having to declare one’s Party affiliation before voting in a Primary that uses Public funds.
I can sort of get where you are coming from, but he was voted to represent the principals of the Republican party. Not sure what that means any more, which is probably where he is coming from. But I find it amusing that he is saying the Republicans are too right leaning, when they are about as moderate to left leaning as they ever have been.
I can sort of get where you are coming from, but he was voted to represent the principals of the Republican party.
really? isnt this the problem? Shouldn't he be voting his conscience? And independently deciding on every issue? Anyone who agrees with every principal of one political party sucks, imo.

If Specter had elected to become an Independent, I would've respected that. In this particular case, it's just a wise old sheenie who sees the writing on the wall (as far as his state is concerned) and realizes that if he wants to be elected to another term, he cannot do so in PA while wearing the ® label. So, he became a (D). A lot of (D)'s switched in 1994/1995 when the ®'s kicked them in their sphincters. It's a cynical political move meant to preserve his job. It isn't an ideological anything.

really? isnt this the problem? Shouldn't he be voting his conscience? And independently deciding on every issue? Anyone who agrees with every principal of one political party sucks, imo.
You over simplifying my over simplification. Republicans don't vote for republicans so they will agree with Democrats. If there are 10 issues and a rep goes 8/10 for Rep side and 2/10 for Dem side, i think most would be fine, but it that were reversed that would upset a lot of the voter base.
You over simplifying my over simplification. Republicans don't vote for republicans so they will agree with Democrats. If there are 10 issues and a rep goes 8/10 for Rep side and 2/10 for Dem side, i think most would be fine, but it that were reversed that would upset a lot of the voter base.
he seems more like a 5-5 guy to me which is probably fairly representative of Pennsylvania, the state he is a senator of. but I get your point.
If Specter had elected to become an Independent, I would've respected that. In this particular case, it's just a wise old sheenie who sees the writing on the wall (as far as his state is concerned) and realizes that if he wants to be elected to another term, he cannot do so in PA while wearing the ® label. So, he became a (D). A lot of (D)'s switched in 1994/1995 when the ®'s kicked them in their sphincters. It's a cynical political move meant to preserve his job. It isn't an ideological anything.
This, and it's really all it is.
PA doesn't have a recall law to oust senators (some other states do), so all they can do is not re-elect him.
I am taking this action now because there are fewer than thirteen months to the 2010 Pennsylvania Primary and there is much to be done in preparation for that election. Upon request, I will return campaign contributions contributed during this cycle.
WOW, how generous Benedict Spector. You will return Republican campaign contributions for your Democratic run UPON REQUEST. Hows bout you just give it back jackoff?

This was an effort save his job…nothing else. He was not going to win a primary vote. I don’t know that he will be able to win a Democratic primary either but with Democrats being as dumb as they are you never can be sure!! Bottom line is the second he voted to approve the stimulus act his Republican career was over. His office was overloaded with emails and phone calls. The service overloaded and they were rejecting emails. I have never seen such mass anger with an elected official. Moderate to non followers of politics were absolutely outraged…..it is the only single event that I have seen in my life that was jointly agreed upon…even some of Democrat friends were amazed. I mean it doesn’t take any particular brilliance see what a disaster this has caused…Arlen being Arlen didn’t care. He cares for nothing but his job. His only choice was to either switch parties or retire. He had ZERO chance to get through the Primary. My question is why as a democrat would you vote for him?

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2009/05/02/bob-barr-gop-in-%E2%80%98very-deep-trouble%E2%80%99/(CNN) — Former Georgia Rep. Bob Barr said Saturday it’s hard to “overestimate the damage” that’s been inflicted on the Republican Party — not only with this week's defection of Sen. Arlen Specter, but also the “lack of any coherent philosophy, vision or leadership.” “The Republican Party is in very deep trouble right now,” Barr said in an interview with CNN. Barr, who was once a loyal soldier in the GOP, joined the Libertarian Party in 2006 and was the party’s presidential candidate in 2008. The ex-Republican said he doesn’t feel like he relates to Specter's reasons for switching to the Democratic Party. “Where I came from there really was a philosophical basis for leaving the Republican Party,” Barr said. Specter, who announced Tuesday he’s switching from a Republican to a Democrat, is making the move for political reasons, Barr said. Specter said he had found himself increasingly "at odds with the Republican philosophy," but he also admitted the decision was driven partly by a desire to keep his seat. The senator, who has represented Pennsylvania in the upper chamber since 1980, said he was "anxious" to stay in the Senate — and he did not want to face a Republican primary in order to keep his seat next year. But Barr said he doesn’t think switching parties will give Specter an automatic win. “I don’t think that the people in Pennsylvania will really appreciate what he did,” he said. Barr added that Specter’s decision is “just another sign that the Republican Party nationally lacks any semblance of leadership.” Democrats, he said, also don’t have a coherent agenda, but they have “something that Republicans absolutely lack.” “They have a charismatic leader and they have party discipline. The Republican Party has none of that,” he said. Asked if he ever considered returning to the GOP, Barr said, “That would make no sense as all, either from a philosophical standpoint or from the standpoint of wanting to join a party that knows what it’s all about.”

The framers of the constitution didn't want there to be political parties.

Give me a Libertarian that has enough charisma, backing and money to make a race of it in 2012 and I'll vote for him/her. Just wish there was a snowball's chance in hell of it happening.

Give me a Libertarian that has enough charisma, backing and money to make a race of it in 2012 and I'll vote for him/her. Just wish there was a snowball's chance in hell of it happening.
Yeah, because McCain/Obama is such a good use of a vote.... sigh....Much better that we destroy the country with charisma than do something right with a nerd.
Yeah, because McCain/Obama is such a good use of a vote.... sigh....Much better that we destroy the country with charisma than do something right with a nerd.
I'm being practical here h. A nerd doesn't stand a chance against Obama no matter how right for the country he/she might be. It's going to take someone with charisma. And that can come in many forms and guises. But the person has to be an appealing debater.
I'm being practical here h. A nerd doesn't stand a chance against Obama no matter how right for the country he/she might be. It's going to take someone with charisma. And that can come in many forms and guises. But the person has to be an appealing debater.
You seem to be saying that, because the election would be a foregone conclusion, that you'd prefer to place your vote for someone you dislike.The logic of that escapes me.
You seem to be saying that, because the election would be a foregone conclusion, that you'd prefer to place your vote for someone you dislike.The logic of that escapes me.
Okay vote for I guess was the wrong terminology. Support with more than a vote I guess would be the more correct term here. I've only once supported a political candidate with more than my vote. And that turned out to have a somewhat disappointing outcome considering his Senate record so far. But as was demonstrated by Ron Paul, a candidate can have a great grassroots fund-raising campaign and still not get on the national radar. It takes someone with the street smarts and charisma to take on the big boys. Ross Perot, before he chose an alzheimer patient for a VP, was an example of such a person. He had enough seed money to start with and enough clout with the media to get their attention. The Libertarian Party needs such a candidate without the paranoia.