Bankroll Management Guidelines In Relation To Cap Games?

A friend asked me a question about BR management and other than the standard limit and NL answers I didn't have an answer for him when he asked me about the CAP NL games online and what an acceptable working BR would be for those games. I would assume that you'd need a smaller BR for a 30BB cap game than a 100-200 BB buy in NL game, but I told him I'd ask you guys. So there's the question...how many BB's or how many Buy in's would be an acceptable working bankroll if the player was going to stick strictly to cap NL games?

If you assume a buy-in is 30 BBs (as it essentially is), then you'd need more buy-ins than you would for a 100 BB game because there's going to be a lot more variance involved. I've never played CAP games but I'd probably want 50-60 buy-ins minimum if I were playing professionally.

Why is there going to be more variance involved? I would assume your edge is going to be greater because of the cap and the defined starting hands one should have in that sort of game therefore reducing the variance. Am I wrong here?

Why is there going to be more variance involved? I would assume your edge is going to be greater because of the cap and the defined starting hands one should have in that sort of game therefore reducing the variance. Am I wrong here?
Most of the edge that winning players have is with postflop play. In a cap game, the stack sizes are smaller postflop, so the edge a good player has over a fish is somewhat minimized, thus increasing variance.
People press their small edges much more in these games because of the cap. In a 100 bb game, you might not stack off with say KQ on a K high board, while in the 30BB cap you're more likely too. People play their draws more aggressively with the 30bb cap.If you think about it, the buy-in figure he gave is proportionate to the standard min 20 buy-ins for 100bb max tables.30 bb * 60 buy ins - 3600$100 bb * 20 buy-ins - 4000$You could probably go with more than 60.
  • 3 weeks later...
fair enough, I'll let him know. Thanks guys
"a FRIEND of mine"....."ill let HIM know"it's okay to just ask advice openly on this board!!! You don't have to make up a 3rd party :club: