Point Me In The Right Direction

So let's start off by putting out the fact that I'm a poor college student. So I play for relatively small stakes compared to most of you that I've been reading on here. My first couple deposits on PokerStars, I lost very quickly. But recently I found the $5 double or nothings and have doubled my deposit. Obviously the problem with these is that you're really not learning to play the game correctly. I like them because it's so easy to build up money, but it'll take forever at this rate and I kind of want to move on. However the small stakes 180 person sNg's seem to be mostly crap shoots, and it ends up being mostly luck, so I'm basically stuck. Any suggestions?

So let's start off by putting out the fact that I'm a poor college student. So I play for relatively small stakes compared to most of you that I've been reading on here. My first couple deposits on PokerStars, I lost very quickly. But recently I found the $5 double or nothings and have doubled my deposit. Obviously the problem with these is that you're really not learning to play the game correctly. I like them because it's so easy to build up money, but it'll take forever at this rate and I kind of want to move on. However the small stakes 180 person sNg's seem to be mostly crap shoots, and it ends up being mostly luck, so I'm basically stuck. Any suggestions?
There's your problem. What's the rush? You can't expect to get rich overnight, you have to put in your time and work your way up. Start with the $1.20 STTs, work on your game, then move up to $3.40 when you're ready. Once you've built up more of a roll and feel ready for the next level, go to $5.50. You have to be patient; they call it grinding for a reason.
The 180 man small stake sngs are far from crap shoots. If you play well, you can build a bankroll pretty easily. My stats in these are such:239 played$319 profitROI 61%If you cant beat these then maybe you should rethink this game.

It would help significantly if we knew exactly what your total bankroll was, so we could point you directly to your best options.

you need to put in your time to learn how to play (if you even end up being a winner, most people aren't). if you're not happy playing just for the joy of playing at first i would guess your results will be less than good. like cappy said just above here though, give us some more info and we can help you more.

Hey, i realize i made it sound like i was impatient and am just playing to get rich quick, but i'm not and i probably should have worded my initial post better. Essentially i'm really looking to further my actual skills, not just my bankroll, so that's why i was saying i wanted to move out of the double or nothings. For example I have basically no experience going heads up with people because of it. My bankroll right now is a little more than $50.00. I've tried playing cash games and have been moderately successful, but i really enjoy tournaments a lot more.

Even though you are crushing the 5 dollar level you bankroll suggests that you should be playing 1 or 2 dollar sng's or tourneys, just to avoid the downswings which may have been your issue in the past. You need bankroll management if you ever expect to grind to the larger games

for you, i'd say you can best play the $3.40 sitngo's and MTT's the sitngo's probably non-turbo, i think you'd like it more, if you think the 180 man sitngo's are crapshootsfurthermore, really check out the $1 HU sitngo's, i think they're really good for learning HU playand people there really suck!!! lol

Read Harrington on Holdem tournament books. They are very well written, and will get your mind thinking about poker conceptually. From there, use good bankroll management. I would recommend not buying into any single tournament for more than 5% of your bankroll. Meaning if you got $100 online, don't buy-in to any single tourney for more than $5.Try to focus on making good solid poker decisions and exercise good bankroll management, and you should run up some money in no time.