PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (6 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.comHero (UTG) ($50.40)MP ($82.05)CO ($53.25)Button ($50)SB ($37.75)BB ($27.35)Preflop: Hero is UTG with :ts, :5cHero raises to $2, 3 folds, SB calls $1.75, 1 foldFlop: ($4.50) :qh, :D, :4h(2 players)SB checks, Hero checksTurn: ($4.50) :club:(2 players)SB bets $2, Hero calls $2River: ($8.50) :3h(2 players)SB bets $2.50, Hero ??Villain 67/7/4 over ~50 hands. He has no sense of position.Comments on all streets appreciated.

I don't mind calling and I don't mind raising. His bet looks so weak, but there are a lot of hands he can have that beat you. I imagine he'll probably call a small raise with an ace with those stats, but you're never going to get a better hand to fold. I probably wuss out and just call, but raising is likely better given his bet is so pathetic.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (6 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.comHero (UTG) ($50.40)MP ($82.05)CO ($53.25)Button ($50)SB ($37.75)BB ($27.35)Preflop: Hero is UTG with :ts, :5cHero raises to $2, 3 folds, SB calls $1.75, 1 foldFlop: ($4.50) :qh, :D, :4h(2 players)SB checks, Hero checksTurn: ($4.50) :club:(2 players)SB bets $2, Hero calls $2River: ($8.50) :3h(2 players)SB bets $2.50, Hero ??Villain 67/7/4 over ~50 hands. He has no sense of position.Comments on all streets appreciated.
God I hate when I hit an out that just complicates things! lol. But seriously I'm just calling here. I think raising opens you up for all kinds of bad situations. At best if he raises and has a legitimate hand you call and lose more money than you should have this hand. At worst your opening yourself up for a bluff on such a straight/flush laden board. Calling helps you lose the minimum.His bet looks weak though so I think we will probably win just calling in this spot.

I think I cbet less than most people in general.I don't think there are many hands I am ahead of that will call a bet. Possibly 44 and 45. There are no hands that beat me that will fold to a bet. He is never folding a pair between 66 and JJ. If I c-bet I open myself up to be c/r bluffed off what is most likely the best hand by an opponent who is very aggressive postflop.That's pretty much why I didn't cbet but I am more than happy to consider arguments why I should cbet.edit: wrote it backwards the first time

I think I cbet less than most people in general.I don't think there are many hands I am ahead of that will call a bet. Possibly 44 and 45. There are no hands that I beat that will fold to a bet. He is never folding a pair between 66 and JJ. If I c-bet I open myself up to be c/r bluffed off what is most likely the best hand by an oppponent who is very aggressive postflop.That's pretty much why I didn't cbet but I am more than happy to consider arguments why I should cbet.
Honestly I think I cbet more than most people but I don't really feel a cbet is necessary on this flop.
I think I cbet less than most people in general.I don't think there are many hands I am ahead of that will call a bet. Possibly 44 and 45. There are no hands that beat me that will fold to a bet. He is never folding a pair between 66 and JJ. If I c-bet I open myself up to be c/r bluffed off what is most likely the best hand by an opponent who is very aggressive postflop.That's pretty much why I didn't cbet but I am more than happy to consider arguments why I should cbet.edit: wrote it backwards the first time
Honestly I think I cbet more than most people but I don't really feel a cbet is necessary on this flop.
It's not just about worse hands calling. It's for protecting your hands vs the majority of his hands that have 6 outs and just taking the pot down. If you check back flop and he bets turn, are you calling? If not, then you should just bet flop and maintain the initiative. You aren't getting CR bluffed often. Many hands that are going to check raise you are going to have good equity vs your hand. If you think someone if going to be check/raise bluffing a lot, then just put in a small bluff 3bet but honestly I don't think you'll get CR bluffed much.
It's not just about worse hands calling. It's for protecting your hands vs the majority of his hands that have 6 outs and just taking the pot down. If you check back flop and he bets turn, are you calling? If not, then you should just bet flop and maintain the initiative. You aren't getting CR bluffed often. Many hands that are going to check raise you are going to have good equity vs your hand. If you think someone if going to be check/raise bluffing a lot, then just put in a small bluff 3bet but honestly I don't think you'll get CR bluffed much.
agreed. The c-bet here is more about protecting your hand then anything else. You want to take down the pot right then and there if he is playing K,Q or a whole host of overcards to your 5's. No sense letting him get there. Also if he has a better pair then you,(7's,8's,9's even 10's) The Ace may be enough for him to dump his hand. With him playing 67% of hand he could show up here with Q,8 or other incredibly random cards (but likely higher then 5's). c-bet and take your chips now, rather then letting him pair his 8 and stubbornly call you down.Oh and flat call the river now that you are there.

I raised the river to $8, planning to raise/fold.The bet size on the river was key to my decision. Who bets that small with a strong hand like a flush or straight? It looks more like a made hand trying to get a call out of an Ace or something and not wanting to bet too big because of the flush/straight possibilities.If he 3bets the river I think it's an easy fold, but I don't expect that too happen too often.He called and had A4.

QFTthe whole i'm not going to c-bet because nothing i'm ahead of will call just tilts me to no end. it's okay to take down the pot on the flop. if your never going to c-bet with this theory then just don't raise pf ever. i would guess this is significantly hurting your win rate over time.
QFTthe whole i'm not going to c-bet because nothing i'm ahead of will call just tilts me to no end. it's okay to take down the pot on the flop. if your never going to c-bet with this theory then just don't raise pf ever. i would guess this is significantly hurting your win rate over time.
Additional: if you want it to become so that every time you bet, everyone folds, then never cbet. IOW, cbets create profitable action over time.

"not going to c-bet because nothing i'm ahead of will call" is only part of the reason why I didn't cbet. If I had a hand that totally missed the flop like 89o, then I'll definitely cbet to get his high card unpaired hands that currently beat me to fold.I agree that not cbetting will put me in an awkward spot on the turn if a card like T/J/Q/K falls and he bets. This is possibly the best reason I can see for cbetting this flop.Cbetting the flop may be better than checking behind though, I'll have to think about it a bit more.