Button was very loose (55% VP$IP, only about 10 of which was PF raises).Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, 5+0.50 Tournament, 50/100 Blinds (6 handed) - Full-Tilt Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.comsaw flopHero (UTG) (t3591)MP (t1724)CO (t5757)Button (t6583)SB (t6385)BB (t1315)Hero's M: 23.94Preflop: Hero is UTG with Kheart.gif, Kdiamond.gifHero raises to t300, 2 folds, Button calls t300, SB calls t250, 1 foldFlop: (t1000) Qheart.gif, Qdiamond.gif, 9spade.gif(3 players)SB checks, Hero bets t800, Button calls t800, 1 foldTurn: (t2600) Aspade.gif(2 players)Hero...?

I would've raised to at least $400 PF. I'm not really worried about some sort of consistent and chip-saving betsizing strat in a $5.50 when I have KK, especially when I'm OOP against players who will consistently look up my raises light, but rarely try to resteal. When you've got the goods in this situation, make it expensive to play.As played, I'm not sure the ace means anything worse for you than it already was after button called your decent lead, and I probably c/f. 10J and a naked 9 prob check behind when the ace hits as well, so a bet usually means you're well behind with one card to come.

I would've raised to at least $400 PF. I'm not really worried about some sort of consistent and chip-saving betsizing strat in a $5.50 when I have KK, especially when I'm OOP against players who will consistently look up my raises light, but rarely try to resteal. When you've got the goods in this situation, make it expensive to play.As played, I'm not sure the ace means anything worse for you than it already was after button called your decent lead, and I probably c/f. 10J and a naked 9 prob check behind when the ace hits as well, so a bet usually means you're well behind with one card to come.
That's interesting advice! I have had that tendency in the past (charge extra to play against loose donkament villains with premium pairs), but I have to admit that I had felt influenced by this board among other things not to make a "scared" play with premium hands, and to invite action. I sure like the sounds of your line though.So, as played: time to give up on this hand then? Wonder if anyone else thinks otherwise, we'll see...P.S. Merry Christmas for those who celebrate it!
That's interesting advice! I have had that tendency in the past (charge extra to play against loose donkament villains with premium pairs), but I have to admit that I had felt influenced by this board among other things not to make a "scared" play with premium hands, and to invite action. I sure like the sounds of your line though.So, as played: time to give up on this hand then? Wonder if anyone else thinks otherwise, we'll see...P.S. Merry Christmas for those who celebrate it!
Yeah I'm gonna check fold here as played. I think your pre-flop raise is too weak and should be at least 400 as previously stated. This raise is great and exactly what I would do in a deep-stack tourney, but here you have to get your money in as much as possible before you get eaten up by the blinds with the structure being so fast. I think your PF raise is getting called by QJ, KQ, AQ, AK, that sort of hand so I think, as played, in any case, your in trouble by fourth street at least. It does suck but you can be happy that you lost the minimum in that spot.I don't think apart from the PF raise there is anything wrong with your line here, just got shafted by the board. So despite the loss, WP.
Yeah I'm gonna check fold here as played. I think your pre-flop raise is too weak and should be at least 400 as previously stated. This raise is great and exactly what I would do in a deep-stack tourney, but here you have to get your money in as much as possible before you get eaten up by the blinds with the structure being so fast. I think your PF raise is getting called by QJ, KQ, AQ, AK, that sort of hand so I think, as played, in any case, your in trouble by fourth street at least. It does suck but you can be happy that you lost the minimum in that spot.I don't think apart from the PF raise there is anything wrong with your line here, just got shafted by the board. So despite the loss, WP.
Thanks--but I never said I lost! LOL But you are right: I checked, villain bet 1000, I folded. You make a good point about the possibilities of KQ/AQ/QJ, so the A may have saved me. What would we do had a blank hit the turn?

Was he calling a lot postflop? Does he stay in pots to the river a lot, or does he get out of the way when flops miss him? The looser he is, the more inclined I'd be to get the rest in. If he's more solid postflop, I'd be more worried about an Ace or something worse.

Thanks--but I never said I lost! LOL But you are right: I checked, villain bet 1000, I folded. You make a good point about the possibilities of KQ/AQ/QJ, so the A may have saved me. What would we do had a blank hit the turn?
Yeah lol I suppose. Mind you people only generally come on here when they've lost, cos when we win a pot were like friggin' Phil Ivey right? lol.I think if the blank hit the turn then it would be pretty hard not to get all your chips in there, as with the flop the raise PF hasn't defined your hand and the button (being very loose) might have even called with J10s so you could have him drawing. It depends on the speed of his action. If he insta calls when you bet the 800 I might have him drawing, but as you say the Ace probably did save you. :club:
Was he calling a lot postflop? Does he stay in pots to the river a lot, or does he get out of way when flops miss him? The looser he is, the more inclined I'd be to get the rest in. If he's more solid postflop, I'd be more worried about an Ace or something worse.
Hard to get this kind of information in a SnG but I agree that info on villain's postflop tendencies is really key here, as well as limp-call tendencies. Hard to narrow his range down on the flop without some of that info.
I think the "scared" play thing is a message to avoid two situations: 1. overcommitting yourself to the pot with a good but not premium hand like AJ/KQ/JJ etc, 2. not being consistent with your betsizing. Here, with stacks and the environment of this sort of tourney, you're raising more for value, not because you're scared.
FWIW, JJ & TT will flat this flop a lot too, just to see your reaction on the turn. It's read dependent imo.
Definitely. Seems like hero's read is that villain is loose/passive, so maybe we can check the turn knowing he probably wont bet it with 1010/JJ?