Washington Post Article And 60 Minutes Tonight

GOD DAMMIT missed it at 6 and no replays today .. TIVO FOR XMAS SANTA PLS K THNX !!!was it good can i watch it online .. went to see bolt 3D is it wierd i enjoy kids movies ??
cbs
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

was that it only 13 minutes of video aired ?? cant find any more :club:
That sounds about right. 3 stories + Andy Rooney + commercials = err, 60 minutes

This is what I have to say to 60 minutes:Do you understand that the world does not revolve around you and your do whatever it takes, ruin as many people's lives, so long as you can make a name for yourself as an investigatory journalist, no matter how many friends you lose or people you leave dead and bloodied along the way, just so long so you can make a name for yourself as an investigatory journalist, no matter how many friends you lose or people you leave dead and bloodied and dying along the way?

Dan Druff responds on 2p2:http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/29/news-...88/index23.htmlThis is Dan Druff. I know I'm banned, so you can ban this account if you want, as well. Or not. I never broke any rules to get banned in the first place, but whatever. That's the least of anyone's concerns right now.I understand that everyone is appalled about what I said at the end of the interview. Even I cringed when I heard it. (I haven't seen it yet, since I'm on the west coast, but I had a friend play it for me over the phone.) My intention was never to hurt online poker, and in fact I initially told 60 Minutes that I didn't want to do the interview if it was going to just slam online poker. I was promised that it would be done from a "we need to regulate this" sort of standpoint, and the inclusion of Greg Raymer and Mike Sexton in their initial interviews seemed to confirm that for me. Sadly, regulation/legalization was not part of this piece. Had I known that, I wouldn't have done it.With that said, I was not taken out of context. I stated what I really felt to be the case, and still feel is the case. If you think it's impossible to be cheated anywhere but UP and AP, you are incredibly naive. For the most part, I trust sites like Full Tilt and Pokerstars, which is why I still play on them. However, no site is immune to what happened at AP/UB, and you should remember that the mere thought of ANY site having superusers would have been laughed off as paranoia just 16 months ago. 60 Minutes asked me if I felt this could happen anywhere, and I gave my answer. In retrospect, I would have avoided the question. Unfortunately, I was in the middle of a long and difficult Day 2 of the 10k Limit event when I did the interview (during the dinner break), and my mind wasn't all there.I also made statements about the benefits of legalization/regulation (which were never shown). In addition, they did not air my statements that AP/UB should have done MORE for the cheated players than just refund their money. I was disappointed that they did not make that point anywhere in the piece.Overall, they did a good job explaining (in simplified fashion) what occurred, and I'm glad they weren't shy about calling out the villains and not falling for their lines of BS. At the same time, I am highly disappointed they chose the direction of the segment to be more of a scare piece and virtually ignored the need for US legalization/regulation. I also did not like the repeated references to online poker being "illegal".I apologize to the online poker community for my final comment in the interview. Had you seen my entire interview, you would probably think more positively of what I said, though I still admit I should have left that last part out for the good of online poker.Mods, please leave this account active at least until this thread ends, then you can feel free to ban me again. Otherwise, this is my statement.

Sigh, just watched it. I just don't understand why Dan Druff, Josem, etc would agree to do the piece without a guarantee that they would not say online poker is illegal. Just sigh.

So has anything been done (in poker community or legal measures) to the Russ Hamilton dude?That fatty should have his nuts ripped off imo, all these guys are goin off on dan druff, but it doesn't even seem like anyone is blaiming Hamilton. Did they figure out how he did it and who were the other 5 people involved?Is Hamilton still part of the poker community?

oh, also, dandruff is a fucking idiot for saying anything that would even possibly kill any online action. and he was also a lot uglier than i expected.

The thing about journalism is that it is often shady. For instance the last statement by Dan Druff could've been an answer to the first question asked but when edited it sounded better at the end ( i know he even says it didn't happen like that but its an example of the media's ability to twist things). There are hours of interviews done and then edited into a thirteen minute segmant often that doesn't result in the full story.That being said I believe Dan Druff's response that he wouldn't have said it if he knew it'd be the last thing aired but he stands by his statement. I agree with him that we don't know for sure if it's still happening and a year and a half ago internet players would've shown you pictures of tinfoil hats if you said it was happening at UB/Absolute. I also think it's funny that all these internet players are lashing out at him instead of at the companies involved and the people who got a way with it and questioning what other sites are doing to ensure it's not happening elsewhere. Did anyone really expect this to be a positive story?

the 60 minutes piece made me yell at the tv a lot. i'll probably write cbs a letter explaining why playing poker and gambling online is not illegal, you know, if you are concerned with the actual way laws are written.
LOL at you thinking a left leaning 'investigative news show' cares about truth.And LOL at everyone thinking that this news show will make any difference to the future of online poker.Until FT and PS etc. start dumping money into the political trough, they are the outsiders and Las Vegas will dictate what will happen to online poker. That's why the IESGA thing passed in the first place
So has anything been done (in poker community or legal measures) to the Russ Hamilton dude?That fatty should have his nuts ripped off imo, all these guys are goin off on dan druff, but it doesn't even seem like anyone is blaiming Hamilton. Did they figure out how he did it and who were the other 5 people involved?Is Hamilton still part of the poker community?
Anyone?
On that other hand, I think we're selling snake oil. If the big losers knew what exactly what they were getting for exactly what price, many of them would choose not to play poker. (Of course, some of them would be happy to play given all the information.)
This is no different than someone selling anything. You could apply that overall concept to a lot of things. If when you were buying a car and you agreed on a price with the dealer, and then you were given a list of what others had paid for the car and where, then you would choose not to buy the car because you would see you could get it cheaper somewhere else. We all know this, but since we don't have access to this information, we buy cars based on our best estimate of what we think we should pay.Same goes with losing poker players. They have play thinking they have some expectation of value for their money which is higher than it is in reality, combined with their ego plus their desire to gamble.I'm trying to buy a house right now. I don't consider this one dude who is selling a house but its overpriced and won't budge on price to be a snake oil salesman, even though he probably knows about some other better deals in his neighborhood. He is just looking out for himself and expects me to understand the market and my options.Mark
LOL at you thinking a left leaning 'investigative news show' cares about truth.And LOL at everyone thinking that this news show will make any difference to the future of online poker.Until FT and PS etc. start dumping money into the political trough, they are the outsiders and Las Vegas will dictate what will happen to online poker. That's why the IESGA thing passed in the first place
Fox news: Fair & Balanced!!!!