Could The Libertarian Revolution Be Coming?

My faith in decentralized solutions has a long history of success, and any remaining faith in central planning can only be based on ignorance of actual results. Reinventing the wheel is efficient because even if someone came up with the exact perfect solution for this moment, in 5 minutes, that solution is obsolete. Plus, the problems of NYC are no relation to the problems in Hawkins, WI, so a federal bureaucracy that claims to create a one-size-fits-all solution will miss at least one of them completely, and probably both.And yes, certain charities discriminate against certain potential clients, which is another reason why they are more efficient at meeting community needs. If the federal government makes a one-size-fits-all rule that the community objects to, we have now created a situation in which that community is WORSE off than without federal help. Instead, localized solutions will tend to reflect the values of the local community and encourage community involvement and a sense of cohesion.
So AIDS patients in small towns are perfectly welcome to die on the streets, and charities are free to discriminate without any state or federal intervention whatsoever? That will go over great in the white-run Deep South, where the neediest people are black. That's why the charge of "heartless" exists.
If you destroy the company through force or fraud, there is not a libertarian in the world who would say that person should not be punished. The other side doesn't seem reasonable under any circumstances -- that people are punished for attempting to do their best. What kind of a chilling effect would that have on our standard of living if giving an honest try and failing were to become illegal? That's not seriously what you are proposing, are you?
Okay, GM gave an honest try and failed. [They were staggeringly incompetent at designing cars Americans wanted to buy, but at least they were honest.] So now they have no responsibility whatsoever to their retirees? That's why the charge of "flacks for business interests" exists.
I don't know that there possibly could be a value higher than "getting the maximum number of people the closest approximation of what they want as possible". Certainly there are side issues, such as pollution, that need to be dealt with fairly. At times community issues need to be balanced against total economic freedom, but I think we'd need a compelling case, and in the majority of cases under current law there just isn't.I don't think I've ever heard that capitalist critique you mention, and don't see any particular reason why it should be true. In fact, the opposite seems to be true. The communist critique is hilarious in its irony. I don't think libertarians have any particular critique of markets that does not apply to any part of human nature -- that sometimes people are mean or dishonest or cruel.
So there is no libertarian critique of the free market. That's why the charge of "dogmatists with blind faith in the free market" exists.
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So AIDS patients in small towns are perfectly welcome to die on the streets, and charities are free to discriminate without any state or federal intervention whatsoever? That will go over great in the white-run Deep South, where the neediest people are black. That's why the charge of "heartless" exists.
Let me ask you a question: would you rather go to a doctor that you know wants you there, or one that hates your guts but has to pretend to like you because of federal law, and you have no way to know they hate you?The other answer is that sorry stereotypes of deep-south rednecks is hardly a valid basis for policy.
Okay, GM gave an honest try and failed. [They were staggeringly incompetent at designing cars Americans wanted to buy, but at least they were honest.] So now they have no responsibility whatsoever to their retirees? That's why the charge of "flacks for business interests" exists.
What would you suggest: "OK, business owner, you are totally bankrupt and your life is ruined, but guess what, now there's a line of people outside your door waiting for handouts...."?
So there is no libertarian critique of the free market. That's why the charge of "dogmatists with blind faith in the free market" exists.
It's not dogmatic if I can answer any critique you offer. It's actually more dogmatic to maintain the belief that markets are evil in the face of the hundreds of years of evidence of the results of markets vs the alternatives.I'm happy to address any specific issue, though, so I don't know how you can say it's dogmatic. No, I don't think the world is perfect, but I don't think any particular complaint against free markets is unique to free markets; it's generally complaints against mother nature or human nature mixed with some mistaken notion that people who take risks owe the rest of us a living.
Please pick another example if you're going to try and use specifics. The UAW employees, retired and current, were gifted so much more than their fair share of GM it's sickening, and in a bankruptcy debacle that had far reaching impacts on the investment debt markets that hurts pension and retirement funds all across the country no less. Also, quite a few GM cars sold pretty well; it was their cost structure that was toxic, thanks to management refusing to stand up to the very same unions, and the unions who made unrealistic and unsustainable demands.
Please pick another example if you're going to try and use specifics. The UAW employees, retired and current, were gifted so much more than their fair share of GM it's sickening, and in a bankruptcy debacle that had far reaching impacts on the investment debt markets that hurts pension and retirement funds all across the country no less. Also, quite a few GM cars sold pretty well; it was their cost structure that was toxic, thanks to management refusing to stand up to the very same unions, and the unions who made unrealistic and unsustainable demands.
Yeah, people really have no idea. GM and Ford excel at making trucks/suv's and have huge fleet sales.There recent woes as far as lack of sales go are because of two things. Gas prices, and a slowdown in all things construction related.If they did not average close to $90/hr per employee they could have weathered this downturn better. The fact that obama wants them to start making green compact cars to compete with Kia and Hyundai is laughable.
sorry stereotypes of deep-south rednecks is hardly a valid basis for policy.
I think reality is actually a pretty good basis for policy.
Yeah, people really have no idea. GM and Ford excel at making trucks/suv's and have huge fleet sales.There recent woes as far as lack of sales go are because of two things. Gas prices, and a slowdown in all things construction related.If they did not average close to $90/hr per employee they could have weathered this downturn better. The fact that obama wants them to start making green compact cars to compete with Kia and Hyundai is laughable.
This sounds like union wages hurt them but that they were also unwise to put all their eggs in the gas-guzzling basket. Pretending like GM did a good job the last decade is silly. The reality is they had a decade of below average (at best) decisions AND they could not weather it because of their overhead.
Ford does make great trucks. I can attest to that by ownership of one. But Toyota and Honda have kicked Ford/GM's asses in cars for years, and Ford/GM cars have been pieces of shit for years. Ask the free market -- Hondas and Toyotas hold their value. And take a look at the road around you. People have voted with their wallets. When it comes to passenger cars, the American auto makers did not make cars people wanted, and faced with this fact, they kept on making vehicles people didn't want and then cried that they needed a bailout.Stupider, still, actually: Ford has a 65-mpg sportscar for sale in Europe, the Ford Fiesta Econetic. It's cute as hell, the size of a normal compact, and it's flying off lots there, but Ford (not Obama) made the decision not to bring it to America because, according to a Ford spokesman, they don't think there would be a demand for it.
I think reality is actually a pretty good basis for policy.
More seriously, though, I believe that there are plenty of closed-minded people in the south. And the north. And the east. And the west. But I also know for a fact that all those areas also have lots of kind-hearted, generous people.A good example is Cajun country. My sister married into it and lives in the swamps of southern Louisiana. If you talk to her husband, it's not long before some ridiculous racist thing comes out of his mouth. But if I was black and needed help down there, he'd be the first person I'd want to show up and help. He's so kind and generous to all people -- he just feels the need to say these crazy stereotypical things. So who do we want helping their community in southern La? The federal government, with their wonderful record in New Orleans, or people like my brother-in-law who knows the community and will do anything to help anyone who deserves it but apparently feels the need to reinforce southern stereotypes?Taking from those who can and will help and giving to those who are incapable of help is terrible policy. Again, this is an area where I don't understand why people say libertarians lack compassion -- we're the ones who want solutions that work rather than grandiose central planning schemes with a long history of counterproductive results.
Stupider, still, actually: Ford has a 65-mpg sportscar for sale in Europe, the Ford Fiesta Econetic. It's cute as hell, the size of a normal compact, and it's flying off lots there, but Ford (not Obama) made the decision not to bring it to America because, according to a Ford spokesman, they don't think there would be a demand for it.
And they are probably correct. Ford and GM both made a lot of mistakes in the 70's and early 80's which have had a long lasting affect on them. People don't want their economy cars, no matter what mileage they get.

it is ok, Barak and company are now in charge...it will be fine.BTW I was reading an article in the Wall Street Journal yesterday. It was about relocating / building a new GM plant. They told Tennessee that the two primary criteria for deciding on a location were Economic impact to the existing area and Environmental impact to the area…LOL nothing about work force, cost, shipping infrastructure, tax incentives…oh no the “new GM” cares more about helping the locals and being kind to the rabbits. Classic, this is what happens when you have unlimited funds (our tax $$) and full government control….Viva La US!! Please pass the pastry.

And they are probably correct. Ford and GM both made a lot of mistakes in the 70's and early 80's which have had a long lasting affect on them. People don't want their economy cars, no matter what mileage they get.
According to all reviews I've seen, it's sporty, fun to drive, and not the usual American cheap little shitbox. If I had money falling out my ass, I'd go to England, buy one, and import it back here.http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Inves...sell-in-us.aspx
Stupider, still, actually: Ford has a 65-mpg sportscar for sale in Europe, the Ford Fiesta Econetic. It's cute as hell, the size of a normal compact, and it's flying off lots there, but Ford (not Obama) made the decision not to bring it to America because, according to a Ford spokesman, they don't think there would be a demand for it.
I think we need these kind of cars, but to be clear it's a diesel, so the energy efficiency isn't comparable with a gas MPG, since there's more energy per volume in diesel. It's also not clear to me if they're quoting imperial gallons or US gallons.
libertarianism.jpg
Cartoons are only funny, witty, or insightful if they have a ring of truth to them. It's not the libertarians that are giving trillions of dollars to bankers, unions, and lawyers. The libertarians seem to be the only one opposed to corporate welfare.Either Democrats or Republicans would've worked better here.