Does He Look Like A Man Beaten By Jacks?

Live Mixed game with this rotation: PLO, PL Stud 8, NLHEThis round was PLO with 1-2 blinds. The game was loose preflop with an occasional 10 $ opening bet (odd eh?) which was often called by numerous people.Hero: 9-9-A-2 ace was suited. Effective stack ~140I limped in mid position after 2 others and the cut-off opened. 4 players called including myself.Flop: 3-3-7 RainbowChecked all aroundTurn: J , still rainbowChecked around once againRiver: 92 players check to hero, Hero bets 20$, folds , Villain Pots, Folds to Hero...Notes on Villain:Not much in PLO but in NLHE made liberal 3-bets on early position openers. Was never looked up.Ok, this is an old hand (about 4 months since it took place) but I never got around to discussing it with anyone. Thanks in advance.-Steve

I probably raise. It is hard to think that he checked flop and turn in position with a 3 in his hand. He can have 77 , T8 , an overpair or jacks.I think he will have a worse hand more times than he has jacks there. Especially in a live game.

Fold preflop. I have nothing to back this up.As played. Just call.
in the book by jeff hwang he talks a lot about hands like this and in his opinion they are pretty good if you can get in cheap. that said, its the only place ive ever seen where hands of this type are even mentioned.

Jeff likes those hands if the Ace is not suited with one of the nines. Then you can flop the nine of your suit and maybe have a set and a flush draw.

I realize I should have put this in the Omaha 8 forum... oh well.I ended up folding, and he exposed just the J-3, saying "I knew I had the Jack, and was about to fold before I noticed I had the 3."Doesn't necessarily mean that he didn't have J-J in the hole as well, but overall based on the comments here and further thought, this is probably a call most of the time. The action confirmed he had a full house, it was just a matter of guessing whether he'd do it with just 3's full.Given his play preflop in NLHE, it stands to assume he probably raises in position light. I ended up a 250~ winner that night, mainly with a big draw that hit in PLO and in NLHE.

I realize I should have put this in the Omaha 8 forum... oh well.
Umm, is this not the first indication that this was a PLO8 hand? I can't see anything above that let us know it was hi-low.So ignore half of what was written...
I realize I should have put this in the Omaha 8 forum... oh well.I ended up folding, and he exposed just the J-3, saying "I knew I had the Jack, and was about to fold before I noticed I had the 3."Doesn't necessarily mean that he didn't have J-J in the hole as well, but overall based on the comments here and further thought, this is probably a call most of the time. The action confirmed he had a full house, it was just a matter of guessing whether he'd do it with just 3's full.Given his play preflop in NLHE, it stands to assume he probably raises in position light. I ended up a 250~ winner that night, mainly with a big draw that hit in PLO and in NLHE.
this was a plo8 hand?not raising preflop is a sin. a suited a2 with two limpers is a raise without looking at your other cards. folding that river is also a sin. the question is wither to reraise or just call.
this was a plo8 hand?not raising preflop is a sin. a suited a2 with two limpers is a raise without looking at your other cards. folding that river is also a sin. the question is wither to reraise or just call.
Yeah, I omitted the "8" in PLO 8. Completely changes the analysis and I appologize for that.It was a pretty nitty fold, but I'm very inexperienced in the game and wanted to minimize action in it. I didn't have the nuts and it looked like the guy could have one of the hands that beat me.But as you eluded to, it was just one of those situations were I had to pay the guy off.