Why Do People Vote Republican?

Good article. Of course this:"Here's my alternative definition: morality is any system of interlocking values, practices, institutions, and psychological mechanisms that work together to suppress or regulate selfishness and make social life possible. ."shows that hes been reading my posts here and in Religion.

"Until Democrats understand this point, they will be vulnerable to the seductive but false belief that Americans vote for Republicans primarily because they have been duped into doing so."Classic line, democrats will neverget it.....they are to busy telling everyone how much smarter and why they are right and all others are wrong....they just can't see the forrest through the trees!!! Got to love the jackass!!!!

it's worth saying that durkheim is profoundly guilty of imposing a judeochristian ethic and worldview upon the groups he studied, and that his claim that god is merely the projected delusion of society into the heavens is wonderfully ironic thereby. he's a smart guy, but he could have used a little postmodernity in his life.as to the article, it's interesting, but it does the same thing durkheim does--it assumes that the nuclear family is the basic unit of society without providing any argument to get there other than "durkheim did it," which he did, because he also assumed it was there to begin with.this is not especially good academic work, imo, but it's fairly interesting.basically, if you do away with the blind and unargued durkheimian assumption above, the argument presented in the article is that "people vote republican because they subconsciously buy into the judeochristian ethic." this is not an especially profound statement, and is remarkably similar to the claim that more militant liberals make: that the republican party, starting to some degree with nixon and coming to a head with reagan and bush II, uses moral platitudes to dupe the lower economic strata of society into voting against their interest.mill has his own problems, but he's a hell of a lot more philosophically sound than durkheim and the stuff that can be done therefrom.as to where the argument ultimately goes, well, meh. i don't agree that the problem with democrats is that they view things like equality and racism in terms of a millsian trope. i'd suggest that the problem isn't one of foundations at all, but rather that democrats (and everyone else, for that matter) have to learn how to better translate their arguments into other formulations because it's the foundations themselves that no one will ever agree upon. take global warming and the US's dependence on foreign oil, for instance--democrats tend to cast it in terms of some sort of grand moral obligation to the world that birthed us. t. boone pickens talks about it in economic terms. i really could ****ing care less what the reasons are, so long as we do something about it. although i personally happen to think that mr. pickens isn't starting from the right place, i'd be cutting off my nose to spite my face if i were to disparage him for it. democrats, generally, do precisely this, however, and that's how they're ****ing up and contributing to the divisiveness that's rampant in america today. to this end, obama's rhetoric of unity is a profound change, both on the left and on the right, and shouldn't be dismissed as vapid, empty rhetoric.

Because we have no other options.YouTube - Obama campaign rep STUMPED on legislative accomplishments
.....................wow, way to bring up videos that everyone already saw months ago.How about this?McCain knows NOTHING about the economy and ADMITS IT!!!!!!!
See how stupid it is when you do that?
.....................wow, way to bring up videos that everyone already saw months ago.How about this?McCain knows NOTHING about the economy and ADMITS IT!!!!!!!
See how stupid it is when you do that?
I also see how stupid it is to claim that a link says that he admits he knows NOTHING about the economy, when he says no such thing. I also see how stupid it is to link to a video that has captions that show that its makers have less of a clue about the economy and how its managed than McCain does.
I also see how stupid it is to claim that a link says that he admits he knows NOTHING about the economy, when he says no such thing. I also see how stupid it is to link to a video that has captions that show that its makers have less of a clue about the economy and how its managed than McCain does.
The point wasn't to set up a discussion on whether or not my video link was good or not. The point was the constant stream of propaganda crap goes both ways.The cheerleader, Johns, is annoying as shit and hasn't provided anything of value to any discussion being had on this board. Example above: posting a link in the middle of a thread that has nothing to do with the thread or any discussions happening in it... especially when the video itself was examined and discussed thoroughly many many months ago...My link in my post was a sarcastic response doing the exact same thing the cheerleader was doing
The point wasn't to set up a discussion on whether or not my video link was good or not. The point was the constant stream of propaganda crap goes both ways.The cheerleader, Johns, is annoying as shit and hasn't provided anything of value to any discussion being had on this board. Example above: posting a link in the middle of a thread that has nothing to do with the thread or any discussions happening in it... especially when the video itself was examined and discussed thoroughly many many months ago...My link in my post was a sarcastic response doing the exact same thing the cheerleader was doing
1) he wasnt here when it was discussed 2) the quality of the video has nothing to do with your mis-statement about what it says.when you react in the same way to wiz adult's inane threads I might believe that its only because he's a "cheerleader". WA is the biggest troll Ive ever seen on this site, and the libs here continue to feed him. Hopefully today is a sign that's changing.
Why do I vote republican?Because I think with my brain, and not with my emotions
Yeah, well done on the last couple of elections. You know, cause the people you have elected have demonstrated that level of philosophy so well.
Yeah, well done on the last couple of elections. You know, cause the people you have elected have demonstrated that level of philosophy so well.
About time you started to realize how much better things are than they would be under Kerry. Keep reading and you may discover a whole world that you didnt realize was out there.
I was not really sure where to put this link, thought this was as good a place as any and I didn't want to start a new thread/
Awesome job even though I hate country music....maybe a little Kate Smith at the end? Nahhhh....the Flyers would go undefeated at home.