The Official 2008-09 Anaheim Ducks Thread

Figured I'd need a spot for Belanger to razzercise me when LA beats up on them this year. That and I think it should be an interesting year coming off a cup hangover last year, some guys who need to assert themselves (Ryan) and the fact that a ton of the team comes off the books after this season. First order of business, deal Schnieder for cap space and re-sign Team-O.Probable Lineup after dealing Schnieder and re-signing Team-O. If they can somehow deal Marchant, then slide Sutherby into the 4th line center role.C.Kunitz-R.Getzlaf-C.PerryB.Ryan/J.Lindstrom-B.Morrison-T.SelanneT.Moen-S.Pahlsson-R.NiedermayerR.Carter-T.Marchant-G.Parros/B.SutherbyS.Niedermayer-F.BeaucheminC.Pronger-S.O'DonnellK.Huskins-S.Montador/B.SalcidoJS GiguereJ.Hiller

points prediction for brendan morrison please.
Oof. That's a toughy. He is exactly what they needed, a 2nd liner center who can press the issue a bit in transition and infuse some speed when their dump and chase gets destroyed like it did last year. So in essence they needed an older and more injury riddled version of Andy McDonald again.If/When Selanne comes back he should play with him and hopefully they develop some chemistry. Morrison's injury recovery is a concern to me but if he's healthy his style should click with Team-O much like Mac's did. Lord knows who will be on the LW of that line. Kunitz is prolly a lock to play with the Wonder Twins so that leaves either Bobby Ryan, Joakim Lindstrom (help), Marchant or maybe Carter to play on that 2nd line. Ryan will get first crack out of camp IMO but if he struggles I have no idea who will be next in line. THN has him at 50 points this season. I think that's fair if Teemu is back and playing with him regularly and he stays healthy. It's safe to assume he will only get PP time on the 2nd unit however.

I think you'll be surprised by Joaquin Lindstrom. His skating could use some improvement but he has some skills and can put the puck in the net.P.S. I put Morrison's over/under at 44.5 points.

I think you'll be surprised by Joaquin Lindstrom. His skating could use some improvement but he has some skills and can put the puck in the net.P.S. I put Morrison's over/under at 44.5 points.
That's more than fair. To be fair myself I haven't seen much of Lindstrom probably half of one game in my estimation. If he's barely 6'0 and is not a good skater as you said then it concerns me though. You figure it's average or below average? I saw mixed reviews from CBJ fans.
49pts prediction for me. 35-60 range.I like that he's in a contract year, and before last year, he was incredibly durable.Lindstrom CAN be very good, but I dont see a spot on the top 2 lines for him unless Ryan doesn't step up.Also, don't Kunitz+Selanne have pretty good chemistry? I thought they might use Ryan with the wonder boys and have Morrison center Kunitz+Selanne.
Also, don't Kunitz+Selanne have pretty good chemistry? I thought they might use Ryan with the wonder boys and have Morrison center Kunitz+Selanne.
Anything is subject to change in camp obv but from my understanding right now they are going to try Kunitz with Getzlaf and Perry to start and hopefully develop some chemistry there. I think they don't want to put an unknown in Ryan on a top line is my best guess to start. Plus I think Getzlaf and Perry could use some speed up there and Kunitz plays very physical for a little guy so I think even if he is not scoring, he is probably helping out in other ways whereas right now, Ryan does not. Carlyle is no stranger to line juggling though so who knows.

Hiller is solid and JSG cant be faulted for his regular season play. He seems to alternate between good and bad playoff years, but the good news is due for a good one again. I think scoring is the Ducks challenge. I hope Bobby Ryan gets his shot at more regular play this season. Another Danny O'Brien trained skater (along with Van Riemsdyk and Sanguinetti, as well as Billy Guerin's off season instructor) I think he can contribute if he gets solid playing time.

Hiller is solid and JSG cant be faulted for his regular season play. He seems to alternate between good and bad playoff years, but the good news is due for a good one again.
anyone else see a possibility, albeit a small one, of Hiller actually outplaying Giguere? Hiller looks really good, I have no idea if he has what it takes to carry a team as a full time starter, but I thought I saw some serious chinks in the Giggy armour last year and a definite talent level with Hiller.
anyone else see a possibility, albeit a small one, of Hiller actually outplaying Giguere? Hiller looks really good, I have no idea if he has what it takes to carry a team as a full time starter, but I thought I saw some serious chinks in the Giggy armour last year and a definite talent level with Hiller.
in the age of the salary cap, a $1.3 million goalie is usually not going to start over a $6 million goalie..No matter how well he is playing.
in the age of the salary cap, a $1.3 million goalie is usually not going to start over a $6 million goalie..No matter how well he is playing.
It is a possibility if the contract of the $6m player ends before the $1.3m player. You def don't want to be playing for two starting goaltenders at once.
It is a possibility if the contract of the $6m player ends before the $1.3m player. You def don't want to be playing for two starting goaltenders at once.
Giggy is signed one more year than Hiller...BTW...Chicago has Khabibulin at $6.7 million and Huet at $5.6 million..Very expensive goaltending

Hiller is a stud, as copernicus has said. he basically made my fantasy year last year in the deep league.I like the way the ducks are looking, but they need to cut that pronger guy loose.

While I realize they will give Giguere every last opportunity, both due to his salary and his past success, its hard to say it cannot happen.I didn't think Montreal would bench and move Theodore in favour of Huet, but it happened.Last year the Oilers, THE OILERS, paid Roloson about 3.5million to be their backup, behind the 1.5? of Garon.I'm not suggesting Giguere will definetly lose his job, but that Hiller is one of the more intriguing backups out there and might be inline for a suprise. Was curious to see what others thought of it in a purely talent/hockey level.
Giguere was a Top 5 goalie in the NHL last year statisically. As for the playoffs, the entire team stunk in that Dallas series. Giguere has won a Cup, been to 2 Finals and won a Conn Smythe. He is also much beloved for being a great guy. If the Ducks let Bryzgalov walk, I think Giguere is safe from nearly every backup possible.
Honestly I think Hiller is better, though I really didnt get to see him that much last year since we just moved to SoCal in April. I have always thought that JSG had two fundamental problems and was surprised that he had as much success as he did. First, his wide stance (though it did improve a bit last year) has his leg extended so far and skates turned down toward the ice so steeply that I dont think he is able to push off as hard as he could. Second, after he makes a save he seems to be a half-beat slow in locating the puck and starting any needed movement. He relies a lot on the defense to cover up for it when he leaves rebounds. In the 2003 series against the Devils, after brilliant opening rounds, he lost some of his rebound control and the above problem really cost the Ducks.However, he was on such a tear toward the end of the season I had a ton of money on the Ducks to win the West and the Cup, and I had the Devils to win the East and the Cup, so it was an awesome year no matter how that series went.
Giguere was a Top 5 goalie in the NHL last year statisically. As for the playoffs, the entire team stunk in that Dallas series. Giguere has won a Cup, been to 2 Finals and won a Conn Smythe. He is also much beloved for being a great guy. If the Ducks let Bryzgalov walk, I think Giguere is safe from nearly every backup possible.
QFT
  • 3 weeks later...
I am pretty surprised he passed through waivers.. esp considering some of the off-season deals that were signed.
agreed. Contrary to some articles I've read I highly doubt they would package Bobby Ryan in any trade to move Schnieder. They've invested way too much time and effort in his development without at least seeing him get his legitimate shot this season at the top 6. By all accounts he has come into camp in great condition and I believe scored 2 goals last night (granted against a Sharks team with no one playing and with Getz and Perry as linemates but I digress..) If anything they could always just put him in Iowa and pay him peanuts until everything gets resolved.
agreed. Contrary to some articles I've read I highly doubt they would package Bobby Ryan in any trade to move Schnieder. They've invested way too much time and effort in his development without at least seeing him get his legitimate shot this season at the top 6. By all accounts he has come into camp in great condition and I believe scored 2 goals last night (granted against a Sharks team with no one playing and with Getz and Perry as linemates but I digress..) If anything they could always just put him in Iowa and pay him peanuts until everything gets resolved.
Of course there's always the chance that Burke will trade Bobby Ryan to the Leafs. nudge nudge :club::ts

Can someone explain to me how Burke can say he has 5 active deals on the go for Schneider, yet a single team wouldn't take him for free?I guess, as you just mentioned, and as I just realized, they'd be forced to package someone of huge value as well?

Can someone explain to me how Burke can say he has 5 active deals on the go for Schneider, yet a single team wouldn't take him for free?I guess, as you just mentioned, and as I just realized, they'd be forced to package someone of huge value as well?
Yeah all of them would be taking some salary back. At this point I'd be satisfied with just ending this thing by packaging Schnieder and a 1st for a 3rd or something just so we can get Teemu on board and not deal anyone off the roster.

Schnieder to Atlanta for Klee, Larson and a prospect. As good a deal as humanly possible. Klee and Larsen make next to nothing and are UFA after this season if Burke can't flip Klee now. No Ryan, no 1st rounder, mucho happy.