My Card Collection

Another Sportscard Expo has come and gone. Of course it takes a lot out of me since old age has kicked in. Very surprised by all the people who come by the booth looking for my son. He had people coming all over the place and was gone walking around with other kids all day. Found out that they think my son is very much in the in crowd since lots of dealers and customers know him. The Expo can be a huge success for us if somethings come in. We did do a case break with Upper Deck. Spent $525 and told my son to have fun. He was immediately surrounded in seconds opening packs of hockey cards at the Upper Deck booth. On his prize for opening a case of cards he got a dual Gretzky/Orr signed card. Needless to say he was extremely happy and the news travelled instantly. Lots of people found out what my son got before I did. Of course we can't wait until the next one in May.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We have day 1 complete at the Expo.   It was a very uneventful day since the turnout was low. I believe that the fight between 2 guys in the industry is going to get nasty and another show is going

Otto and I enjoy it. We spend the whole weekend together and have a blast. We don't make a lot of money from it. We only do it for the love of the hobby   Because of doing this we have met a lot

The show I think was a success. We had a regular win the signed derozan jersey. Thank god he won since 3 guys I have never seen came in at the last second. When the draw was over they left. Peopl

Very nice card! Gretzky's auto has gotten quite a bit sloppy over the years. I guess that's to be expected when you've signed your name about A BILLION TIMES!

That is awesome.

How much is that worth Wayne?

I was not at the Upper Deck booth but my son was surrounded by at least 12-15 guys (he knew everyone). He was treated like a star when he got the card and Upper Deck took a picture of him with it. That was priceless. My best guess it is worth about $500-700.

I found some of my old cards on the weekend. Was cleaning out the basement, and I took a look at what I had. Some interesting stuff, including rookies of guys like Sakic, Sundin, Yzerman, Hawerchuk and a few others. I also have a whole set that I didnt know about, I think its Upper Deck 88-89 or 89-90.

Other cards...Gretzky 2nd team all star in 80-81?, Lindros Future Superstar card (I remember when I got it, people told me it was worth $100....now Im betting its $5 or less, lol)

I can waste a lot of time looking over my old hockey cards. Most were ruined as a collectors item by me and my friends throwing them up against a wall though.

I found some of my old cards on the weekend. Was cleaning out the basement, and I took a look at what I had. Some interesting stuff, including rookies of guys like Sakic, Sundin, Yzerman, Hawerchuk and a few others. I also have a whole set that I didnt know about, I think its Upper Deck 88-89 or 89-90.

Other cards...Gretzky 2nd team all star in 80-81?, Lindros Future Superstar card (I remember when I got it, people told me it was worth $100....now Im betting its $5 or less, lol)

I can waste a lot of time looking over my old hockey cards. Most were ruined as a collectors item by me and my friends throwing them up against a wall though.

They had to be worth more than another collection I saw at a poker game in someone's basement

I have a similar story, and my parents basement is full of lots of cards.

Maybe we have something

Well, he's got it on EBay for a nice tidy sum, I can tell you that. ;) I just happened to search looking for a comparison.

I will not get nearly that. Just put it out there to see what happens.

Yeah, that's what I figured. It's a pretty card and a fun story, is that the best pull you've had from a case?

It is definitely the best pull. We did not get this from a case. I purchased a case for $525 (absolute steal since most are $600). We only break product at the show since Upper Deck is present so they give out show cards. The Gretzky/Orr is a show card but still desirable for collectors. As most of you guys know breaking product is a losing proposition. The most I can get from the original $525 case is maybe $300. So the hit was definitely nice plus the entertainment for my son was priceless.

So is it fair to say that those super desirable cards only come from card shows these days? 90% of the time anyway?

LOL. No they are not super desirable. Just a show card that sometimes have value. As you can see the card is not hard signed. It is sticker auto so Upper Deck just made the card up. There was one with Tiger and Gretzky. It depends on what collectors like but the new stuff are always in demand. This card maybe worth something now but by next year it could be worth only half of what it was today.

I hate sticker autos. Part of the appeal in having an autographed card is knowing the person was in possession of the card.

a lot of collectors are the same way. What I don't like as a dealer is when I am standing at the booth and someone is trying to sell me their cards. One time a guy had a rnh card and I asked him how much he wants. He said he knows the value has dropped so I told him a dealer is selling it for $70. He says ok I will take $75. I just give him his cards back and say thanks.

Also many times someone would come with their cards and say they want $50 for it. I then show them the same card in my showcase for $30.

My son and I don't collect any cards. We only do this for fun. The fun has me carrying at least $15k in inventory

http://video.nhl.com...484502&catid=35

Panini: The Making of a Trading Card

Pretty cool video. Karvin Cheung is actually a Toronto boy and Chris Barr was a regular collector who Panini asked to join with them when they got a licence from the NHL. Chris Barr actually follows me on twitter and is a super nice guy. Karvin worked at Upper Deck before something happen and he was let go. He then went back to his roots and was selling at the Expo just like myself. As you can see, he is back in.

• 2 weeks later...

Don Cherry is doing a signing here in Pickering tomorrow at National Sports. 2 min from my house.

I think we will go. Get a Rockem sockem signed

So i havent been to one of these..Wayne or anyone else:

I am assuming he is there to sell his DVDs and will sign only if you buy a DVD?

Will he sign anything else?

Can I take a picture of Adrian with him?

I know its silly but i am a big fan of Don and my son likes him too, we probably wont have too many chances to see him as he is getting older.