Home Game Gun Etiquette And Other Decisions

Good lord, did you think with everything I have said in this thread I don't know anything about guns?Go bump Hank213 firearms thread in general, good stuff in there.
No no, but when you said a .22 wouldnt do anything I started to wonder, thats is why I posted... sorry.
  • Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Edit: Im sorry you dont see the point I was trying to make. Maybe someone else can explain it better.
If I'm not mistaking the point you were trying to make is that the deaths by guns (shootings, drive-by's, etc) are more on the everyday national news and they make for more of a "wow" factor than some old drunk that kills himself in a car wreck cause he was drunk...... I got that point perfectly clear, I hope..... That also doesn't mean that I'm more affraid of guns cause the media told me so. I'm affraid of guns, cause one bullet can kill or seriously injure someone innocent, that's what really scares me..... So more people having guns equals to more shootings and more deaths by the way of bullets......So this thread started with the question "should someone carry a gun in a home poker game ?" and my answer is still HELL NO......
yes, but what you forgot was DN is gay and Canadian, and would attract alot of homosexuals and Canadians fans to his forum. And as we know, all Canadians and homosexuals are anti-gun, thus the board's reaction.
not quite according to this: http://www.fullcontactpoker.com/poker-foru...showtopic=83674And Homer already showed how a gun could be used as a tool. You can do cool things like shoot open cans of soda!
If I'm not mistaking the point you were trying to make is that the deaths by guns (shootings, drive-by's, etc) are more on the everyday national news and they make for more of a "wow" factor than some old drunk that kills himself in a car wreck cause he was drunk...... I got that point perfectly clear, I hope..... That also doesn't mean that I'm more affraid of guns cause the media told me so. I'm affraid of guns, cause one bullet can kill or seriously injure someone innocent, that's what really scares me..... So more people having guns equals to more shootings and more deaths by the way of bullets......So this thread started with the question "should someone carry a gun in a home poker game ?" and my answer is still HELL NO......
I agree with this and posted so earlier, the thread got way side tracked.
This has already been said, but what percentage was suicide and what percentage where idiots who did not know how to handle their weapons properly?
the better question is "why does it matter?"I don't pretend to know the american constitution very well but owning a gun is a "right"...correct? that right extends to all citizens and not just the smart ones or sharpshooters.so it's about choice and those who choose to own guns are more likely to get injured by a gun. that's all I was saying.

So far there hasn't been even one single good reason offered in this thread for someone to not Carry to a home game other than Host Objection.This morning (after a Home Game last night where I got my ass handed to me sans gun), I finally came up with one good reason NOT to Carry a Gun to a Home Game.If you carry, I feel you should do it do it legally - With a valid Permit to do so. If you violate the terms of that Permit you will lose your right to Carry a Concealed Weapon. Here in Michigan if you commit a crime while in posession of a Handgun you not only violate the terms of your Permit, you also face minimum sentencing guidelines if convicted of a gun crime.Home Games are not Legal.If you get busted - you could lose your Permit to Carry or face other charges.

I laughed pretty hard at Mhoward saying Germany didn't invade Switzerland becuase of their army or they were all armed. The British Empire was an easier target.And have you met any Swiss people? None of them carry, all their guns are locked at home. I don't even know where I stand, or what my point was in the first place if I had one, but that was an entertaining day

I think this post is excellent, and one of the main issues I have. It's not really the responsible gun owners that I really have a problem with, it's the massive amount of well armed simians out there that makes me nervous. However, I don't think having strict gun laws would prevent the morons that I don't' want to have guns from having them. I think it would only embolden criminals. I think that I'd like, in theory, some sort of test or something to establish gun ownership. But, the reality is guns are so plentiful and easy to get in the USA, even for felons, that all that sort of law would do is make it more of a pain in the ass for me to get a gun, should I choice to get one ( as a glorified firecracker, as that's the only use I'd have for them, as explosions are cool, obv), and at the same time give the gov another excuse opportunity to tax you. Anyone who I wouldn't want to get a gun, would be able to get one anyway.
I think the starting point is the attitude. If gun ownership could be seen as a responsibility instead of a right you would get more attitudes like scrams, than say pot odd's or Charlton Heston'sHow you achieve that, especially with 18-25 y.o. males is another matter, but it is never going to be a 'big bang' fix. It would take time and education and all the while you'd have the NRA screaming 'brain-washing!'
Great post.
ty
I think the starting point is the attitude. If gun ownership could be seen as a responsibility instead of a right you would get more attitudes like scrams, than say pot odd's or Charlton Heston'sHow you achieve that, especially with 18-25 y.o. males is another matter, but it is never going to be a 'big bang' fix. It would take time and education and all the while you'd have the NRA screaming 'brain-washing!'ty
Seriously dude. What are you talking about? Where have I been anything other than reasonable? You have no idea what my core views are regarding Gun Control. Where have I advocated anything other than responsible gun ownership?
I would actually agree with most of this post. However, I am still waiting for someone to give me a use for a gun as a tool. Please. I am begging someone to explain how a gun is a tool. It all hinges on that, then I can move forward with the debate. Does everyone see what I am asking here. How. Can a gun. Be used. As a tool. Make me understand. How is the machete (sp) story not comaring apples and oranges?<snip other points>Again, I'll get back to the original argument and stop disucssing the dicussion, if and when someone can tell me how a gun is a tool.
From personal experience, hunting. This mostly applies to rifles and shotguns.In rural areas, like actual farm/ranch rural, handguns are used to remove unwanted small animals, ie badgers, skunks, etc. Maybe also for something bigger like a coyote, but I'd rather have a shotgun or rifle for that size animal.
Seriously dude. What are you talking about? Where have I been anything other than reasonable? You have no idea what my core views are regarding Gun Control. Where have I advocated anything other than responsible gun ownership?
Advocating responsibilty and being responsible are 2 different things.It dosn't take a genius to see that your OP precludes you from the second.Sad thing is that it is highly unlikely that you will ever understand why.
Advocating responsibilty and being responsible are 2 different things.It dosn't take a genius to see that your OP precludes you from the second.Sad thing is that it is highly unlikely that you will ever understand why.
In what way can you even begin to make that assessment? Responsibility?!? What do you know about my ability to be responsible? Because I suggest that a general practice of Carrying a Concealed Weapon might be OK?Are you really that ignorant?Edit: my point of view is shared by literally millions of responsible Americans. Just because you don't understand it or accept it, doesn't make that point of view "irresponsible".
In what way can you even begin to make that assessment? Responsibility?!? What do you know about my ability to be responsible? Because I suggest that a general practice of Carrying a Concealed Weapon might be OK?Are you really that ignorant?Edit: my point of view is shared by literally millions of responsible Americans. Just because you don't understand it or accept it, doesn't make that point of view "irresponsible".
Reading between the lines of posts is a lot like poker tells. There is a wealth of unspoken information there. Some people do it well, others don't. From this thread alone it's easy to see Bob get's it. It comes natural to BigD and scram is a master at it.Your post's like anybody else's, give an insight into the way you think about the topic. For you gun ownership is all about ego and exercising your "right to carry" <insert chest thumping here>Ego is the downfall of responsibility.When you hold a gun there are 2 tools in use.
Reading between the lines of posts is a lot like poker tells. There is a wealth of unspoken information there. Some people do it well, others don't. From this thread alone it's easy to see Bob get's it. It comes natural to BigD and scram is master at it - just to name a few.Your post's like anybody else's, give an insight into the way you think about the topic. For you gun ownership is all about ego and exercising your "right to carry" <insert chest thumping here>Ego is the downfall of responsibility.When you hold a gun there are 2 tools in use.
Bad read.Leave the psychoanalysis to the professionals.
Reading between the lines of posts is a lot like poker tells. There is a wealth of unspoken information there. Some people do it well, others don't. From this thread alone it's easy to see Bob get's it. It comes natural to BigD and scram is master at it.Your post's like anybody else's, give an insight into the way you think about the topic. For you gun ownership is all about ego and exercising your "right to carry" <insert chest thumping here>Ego is the downfall of responsibility.When you hold a gun there are 2 tools in use.
Funny line :club:

Wow, amazing.I do not even own ahhh gun, let alone many guns that would necessitate the use of a rack.However, I do feel that if you are carrying a gun into a homegame that you should at least let the homeowner aware that you do. That way if there is a problem with it, you can act accordingly. If you want to carry a gun, that is great, go ahead. Just do it legally and act responsibly. A little common sense goes a long way sometimes. If someone doesn't want you to bring a gun into their house, then don't. I had thought about purchasing a gun a few months back and even made a thread about it. I think I was just bored and wanted another hobby, so going to a gun range seemed like it would be fun as well as learning and studying about guns. However, guns scare the shit outta me so I have way too much respect for them to put one into my own hands. It's just not for me. All of this efighting is silly. I am assuming most of us here are 18-45 white males and would more than likely never be put into a situation where we would have to pull out a gun and use it. However, if you want to carry and feel the need to, I have no opinion either way. Do what you want and be smart about what you do. Every action has a consequence.

Wow, amazing.I do not even own ahhh gun, let alone many guns that would necessitate the use of a rack.However, I do feel that if you are carrying a gun into a homegame that you should at least let the homeowner aware that you do. That way if there is a problem with it, you can act accordingly. If you want to carry a gun, that is great, go ahead. Just do it legally and act responsibly. A little common sense goes a long way sometimes. If someone doesn't want you to bring a gun into their house, then don't. I had thought about purchasing a gun a few months back and even made a thread about it. I think I was just bored and wanted another hobby, so going to a gun range seemed like it would be fun as well as learning and studying about guns. However, guns scare the shit outta me so I have way too much respect for them to put one into my own hands. It's just not for me. All of this efighting is silly. I am assuming most of us here are 18-45 white males and would more than likely never be put into a situation where we would have to pull out a gun and use it. However, if you want to carry and feel the need to, I have no opinion either way. Do what you want and be smart about what you do. Every action has a consequence.
Great post.I think that pretty much sums it up in a reasonable well stated manner.
Oh really?1508695670_cc78a7f8db.jpg
really.There was a court case about this that ended within the last year. IIRC, it had something to do with the police getting sued for not protecting a lady who ended up getting killed (or nearly killed, but I think she died). The court ruled the police were under no obligation to actually protect the person, so they weren't liable for what happened to her.Sorry, I don't remember where I read or names I could use to find it. :\edit: should have kept reading. mhoward got it.
You assume I'm not. Foolish that would be.tyvm. You can have unhindered and obligation free distribution of it any time you see fit.
If you truly are a Psychoanalysis Professional then I sincerely dread the effect you may have on your patients if based on very limited information you routinely jump to poorly formed conclusions that reveal more about you and your own biases and state of mind than those of your subject.Here's hoping you're in research and not clinical.
really.There was a court case about this that ended within the last year. IIRC, it had something to do with the police getting sued for not protecting a lady who ended up getting killed (or nearly killed, but I think she died). The court ruled the police were under no obligation to actually protect the person, so they weren't liable for what happened to her.Sorry, I don't remember where I read or names I could use to find it. :\edit: should have kept reading. mhoward got it.
It was a ridiculous ruling, and sad that they'd do that just to protect their own ass from getting sued. (Because I see no other reason to make such a retarded ruling.)
It was a ridiculous ruling, and sad that they'd do that just to protect their own ass from getting sued. (Because I see no other reason to make such a retarded ruling.)
Ridiculous or not, that's how it is. You can't discount it just because you don't like it.
Ridiculous or not, that's how it is. You can't discount it just because you don't like it.
I'm not denying that's how it is, but I can discount it all I want. It's completely asinine.