2008 Los Angeles Dodgers Official Thread

How lucky is every team in the West??? Your division is so so bad (ours isn't great btw)...PMJ our bet is still open hahaha...based on all the injuries it would prolly be better if we make it between our AAA clubs!!!!!!!
Pathetic. :(Our AAA team might end up decent if enough guys have to make rehab assignments. :club:
  • Replies 651
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who has a worse offense Patrick? I'm will to gamble that it's the Giants, even though we are around 8th in all of baseball avg. wise.
I would say the Giants, but only because the Dodgers have proven that they don't need a hit to win. :)In all seriousness, I think I like the Giants lineup better with all the injuries to the Dodgers lineup. When Furcal returns that will help a lot, but even then the young guys aren't having quality ABs.LOL at Jason Repko last night. He gets called up to replace Pierre who is out 4-6 weeks, and has to face Roy Oswalt in his first start this year. Oswalt isn't having a good year, but it was pretty much a lock that he would look good vs the Dodgers. So, Repko goes 0-5 with 4 strikeouts, and in his 5th AB he struck out, but a balk was called and then he popped up. Do you think the umpire took pity on him?
I would say the Giants, but only because the Dodgers have proven that they don't need a hit to win. :)In all seriousness, I think I like the Giants lineup better with all the injuries to the Dodgers lineup. When Furcal returns that will help a lot, but even then the young guys aren't having quality ABs.LOL at Jason Repko last night. He gets called up to replace Pierre who is out 4-6 weeks, and has to face Roy Oswalt in his first start this year. Oswalt isn't having a good year, but it was pretty much a lock that he would look good vs the Dodgers. So, Repko goes 0-5 with 4 strikeouts, and in his 5th AB he struck out, but a balk was called and then he popped up. Do you think the umpire took pity on him?
Haha...who would have thought that both of our teams would be sooooooo bad right now, but yet both in the playoff hunt. So many injuries for both teams, but if you can name a team in our generation that has had more injuries than the Braves have had then please be my guest sir.....
no broadcasting on tonights game... wierd...
Are you watching via a local broadcast, cable, or satellite?For some reason I'll have the Dodgers feed via directv and the mlb ticket, while my brother has comcast or whatever and their mlb ticket, and he will have the Astros feed.Kuroda has looked good _thus far_, I don't trust a 4 lead in this ballpark though by any means.
Would you trade Clayton Kershaw and Matt Kemp for Evan Longoria?
:club: I'm not sure...I don't think I would but I haven't gotten a chance to watch him much. Plus, as a fan who follows players coming up through the system, it would be hard for me to give up two players I've looked forward to over the last few years.I feel that I'm probably blinded by homerism on this one though...I'm more inclined to give up Kemp after seeing him for another half of a year then I was in the off season, but Kershaw would be hard to part with. The Dodgers gave up on Konerko pretty quick and held on to Karros too long, and everyone remembers us dumping Pedro...My feeling on guys like Loney, Kemp, Laroche, etc is that they are so young, they are still a few years away from their offensive prime so I don't want to rush to judgement on any of them. Again though, I'm semi attached to anyone that came up through the system for sentimental reasons lol.Longoria is a beast though, and we'd have him under long term contract right? Always that to consider.EDIT: Something else to consider is the Dodgers are already set at 3b (at least in theory), depending on whether LaRoche or Dewitt ends up taking the job.
Would you trade Clayton Kershaw and Matt Kemp for Evan Longoria?
Thats an awful lot to give up. I say no simply for the Kershaw factor. Kershaw is going through the same growing pains that Chad Bills did when he was first called up (he just turned 20). Now, Bills is looking like AT LEAST a solid #2 starter. Love Longoria, but not giving up on Kershaw. I would absolutely listen to a package built on Kemp as the centerpiece.
Thats an awful lot to give up. I say no simply for the Kershaw factor. Kershaw is going through the same growing pains that Chad Bills did when he was first called up (he just turned 20). Now, Bills is looking like AT LEAST a solid #2 starter. Love Longoria, but not giving up on Kershaw. I would absolutely listen to a package built on Kemp as the centerpiece.
Yeah, I pretty much agree. The package would probably have to include LaRoche or Dewitt too (LaRoche if the Rays are smart, which they seem to be in player evaluation).Whatever, Colletti already has been owned a couple times by the Rays in trades (pretty much gave them Navarro, Guzman, and Edwin Jackson for nothing) so I don't want him dealing with them at all lol.If the Dodgers fall off in the next few weeks, I wouldn't mind being a seller at the deadline and trying to trade Lowe, or Penny, or even Kent if he wants to go play for a contender at the end of his career (I assume he has a no trade).

Trading Kershaw would be like if some girl that you have had a thing for finally after years wanted to hook up, but then you blow her off for some other girl (albeit a very hot one).

Are you watching via a local broadcast, cable, or satellite?For some reason I'll have the Dodgers feed via directv and the mlb ticket, while my brother has comcast or whatever and their mlb ticket, and he will have the Astros feed.Kuroda has looked good _thus far_, I don't trust a 4 lead in this ballpark though by any means.
i was watching local tv in LA... turned it on and all you could hear was the stadium noise... than all of a sudden charlie steinner and steve lyons were back on... wierd... not the first time its happened though...
Trading Kershaw would be like if some girl that you have had a thing for finally after years wanted to hook up, but then you blow her off for some other girl (albeit a very hot one).
yeah... no way i trade Kershaw... although a Kemp and penny or lowe wouldn't be bad... doubt that though...

Somehow I missed the news about Furcal finally having back surgery, and will be out at least 8 more weeks. Might have been a good idea to have that done, oh I don't know, 8 weeks or so ago when he originally got hurt.They also sent Kershaw down to AA to make room for Kuroda. Kershaw seemed annoyed, but he probably realized that Mark Sweeney still is on the roster.

I only asked because I know everyone in LA has a HUGE Kershaw boner (and who wouldnt, given his tremendous yakker), but I saw Longoria on TV last night, and -- holy crap -- he is the real deal. I think he will end up being a .320 35 120 type guy for a very, very long time. His swing is just absurdly low-effort. It is so short and compact, but he generates a lot of power with it. PLUS he is locked up through his arb years and (I think) one year of free agency.Anyway, pitchers are a notorious crap shoot, so I just wanted to see how the Homers felt. I am (god dammit, my fucking apostrophe key isnt working. It is taking me to "quick find" everytime I try to use it. What the fuck is going on?) not sure what I would do. My instincts say it would be a great trade for the Dodgers, but I seriously doubt either side would ever agree to that trade.I am on the LA Dodgers -124 tonight with Billingsley on the hill in Houston. I love Chad Billingsley. I put my economic well-being in his hand once every five days or so.Wang

I am on the LA Dodgers -124 tonight with Billingsley on the hill in Houston. I love Chad Billingsley. I put my economic well-being in his hand once every five days or so.Wang
Although Lowe did pitch really well in June, Billingsley in my eyes has been the ace of the staff since the All Star break last year. He started off slow this year, but Torre screwed up his schedule in that rain delayed game vs the Giants the first series of the year. He finally has learned how to pitch and not throw, which obviously is a good thing. Now the Dodgers need Kershaw to learn the same thing.GLGL in your bet.

Occasionally I like to see where the Dodgers would be if they never re-aligned because that's the time when I really liked baseball. Back then you usually had to win 95-100 games to have a shot at making the playoffs, anyway I thought it was funny that in the original NL West (including exp teams Col and Arz) they would still be in 2nd 1.5 gb of Arizona. It's strange now for a div leader to be under .500, but then it would be unheard of.

Dear LA Dodgers:Thank you for saving me from a disastrous day of blown wagers and other ridiculous garbage, and -- by proxy -- the lives of every innocent person I passed on the street after work.Thanks again Chad!Wang

goooooooooooooooooooo GIANTS
Blah, I'm still bitter about losing Saturday's game. Zito actually looked pretty good, but Park pitched just as well if not better. I hated the way Torre managed the bullpen that game, but to be fair I did not know that Saito was unavailable (pitched 3/4 days).If the Dodgers lost yesterday there was a good chance I would have had a mental breakdown.So, the Dodgers are a half game out of first, and if the Brewers could hold a 5-0 lead in the 9th they'd be in first right now. Pretty unreal how bad the division has been, but I suppose I can't complain too much with where they are. I thought it would be close between the Dodgers and Dbacks, I just didn't expect them to both be mediocre.Also, has there ever been a double play combo with less range then Nomar/Kent?
I've been trying to think. Probably not. Who was the two bagger when Chris Gomez was the SS for the Padres?
Looking at the rosters for the Padres in '97 and '98 (the two years he played the majority of the games at ss), it looks like Quilvio Veras was. IIRC, he was pretty fast so I think had good range.I remember watching highlights of an old Dodgers/Yankees WS game from the late 70s/early 80s and LOLing at Bill Russell's range up the middle...and I guess Nomar can't be worse then Jeter.
Also, has there ever been a double play combo with less range then Nomar/Kent?
Derek Jeter and Chuck Knoblauch comes to mind.

I really hate the Giants right now. Speaking of Dodgers/Giants, Patrick do you want to go to a game in August series? I'm going to get some tickets when I have some more money.

I really hate the Giants right now. Speaking of Dodgers/Giants, Patrick do you want to go to a game in August series? I'm going to get some tickets when I have some more money.
Maybe; hit me up with a PM with details.Blah! Kuroda was perfect tonight through 7, and gave up a lead off double to Teixiera in the 8th. That ended up being his only base runner allowed, and he never went to a 3 ball count. It would have been really cool to see a perfect game, and even cooler in a symbolic way to tie Arizona for first in such a grand fashion.Side note, Angel Berroa made an insanely nice play in the 9th (after it was broken up). I can't imagine how dramatic the play would have been if the perfect game was still intact.