127 members have voted

1. 1. Who would win in a Heads Up No Limit Hold 'Em match between Phil Ivey and Stu Ungar?

• Phil Ivey
    • Stu Ungar

How could Ivey possibly stand a chance in this match when he isn't even able to mannage respectable losses against Durrrr and Zigmund in his own poker room? -500k in a couple of days!!! :club: jk

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty dumb comparison, imo.But since I'm obligated to answer, I'll go with Ivey.3 reasons:1. Fields are much bigger these days.2. Players gain more experience at a quicker rate, thus I would dare to say the fields are also a little tougher. 3. Ivey isn't a junkie and actually knows (as far as I can tell) how to manage a BR.
None of these things matter for 1 HU match.

I'm not saying Ungar wasn't amazing, but I think his reputation has been inflated because of his death. Imagine if Doyle would have died instead of Ungar. People would be saying that Doyle, not Ungar, was by far the best poker player the world has ever seen.

I'm not saying Ungar wasn't amazing, but I think his reputation has been inflated because of his death. Imagine if Doyle would have died instead of Ungar. People would be saying that Doyle, not Ungar, was by far the best poker player the world has ever seen.
WRONGits me. :club:
If most poker players claim poker to be >50% skill and <50% luck, then why didn't Stu Ungar, as the most skilled player in history, win more than 33% of his tournaments?
OMG, did you really just post this? Atleast I am not the dumbest noob in the forum YES! :club:
I agree. I also think that Ungar's legend has been inflated by the natural tendency for people to want to identify a clear cut best ever.
If most poker players claim poker to be >50% skill and <50% luck, then why didn't Stu Ungar, as the most skilled player in history, win more than 33% of his tournaments?
I am annoyed at how blithely people cite that 33% win rate. I find it very unbelievable that Stu kept accurate records. Further, even if that were true, no one has ever had an expectation anywhere near that mark, and no one ever will, by virtue of the nature of the game itself.

Thor hansen told me that an "A game" Stu was much better than Ivey.... at the same time I know how much people like to exaggerate when someone dies though. IMO, between 2 good players a HU match often depends on tilt, and Stu tilted harder than anyone from what I've heard. So I think Ungar would have no shot.

Thor hansen told me that an "A game" Stu was much better than Ivey.... at the same time I know how much people like to exaggerate when someone dies though. IMO, between 2 good players a HU match often depends on tilt, and Stu tilted harder than anyone from what I've heard. So I think Ungar would have no shot.
You aren't exaggerating with Stu though. He is the best NLHE player ever.
because he didn't nearly play a sample size that would justify sentences like "hes the best player in the world".
So true.Hey! Have any of you heard of this Jerry Yang guy?!? Legend has it he won at least 100% of the $10K buy in tourneys he entered. Clearly the best ever. He makes that 33% win rate look downright embarrassing!

Just ask any major pro that was around back then. If you win 10 out of 30 high stakes tournaments that's a great %. Think about it, if you enter 30 tournaments in a year and win 10 of them, that's a heck of a year. Stuey controlled the no limit game like no one else has since. And with the larger fields today he probably chews them up even better. Now he's probably not one of the best people ever involved in poker. That's putting it nicely.

i have no clue what people think BR management has to do with 1 HU NL hold em match. Stu Ungar wins hands down if they are both playing their A game. You guys are saying phil ivey is more consistently better? Stu WON 33% of the major tournaments he entered. Ivey just wants to bust out of tournaments quickly so he can play cash games. All this aside. Both in prime Stu wins. I remember some website doing a calculation on who would win over the course of 100 heads up between daniel negreanu and stu ungar and they did all these computer charts and stuff, similar to what espn does when they do the then and now. They had daniel winning 66% of the time and i personally believe negreanu is better heads up than ivey at hold em. Who knows about all this anyway, fun to guess though....weeeee
i don't know about that one chief.. :club: