Staying Focused

I've been playing a lot of poker for the last few months, and been getting progressively better. My main problem, however, is staying focused on the game consistently. Whenever I focus I feel like I make (what I feel to be) the best decision possible, but when I loose that "groove", I berate myself later for bonehead plays. Do you guys have any ideas or suggestions on how to stay focused ?

Do you do anything else while playing poker like watching movies or browsing forums? That was always one of my biggest problems. For me, listening to music loud enough to drown out the sound of everything else keeps me concentrating on poker.

For me, I find that trying to play too many tables at once makes me lose focus (as well as watching tv or surfing the net). I find I spend so much time clicking from table to table that I can't get a solid feel for any of them (beside what the PT numbers show). Maybe try to keep yourself to a 2 table max for a while so you can really get a feel for the tables, and take more time on decisions (don't always chalk up bonehead plays to losing focus...sometimes online players just don't give themselves enough time to think, due to multitabling or wanting to be courteous). ...and turn off the damn tv!!!

Utilize the same methods that you would to try and focus on anything important that you do... test, sports, etc.I wouldn't say that poker is different from anything else.Focus is different for everyone and only you know how you're able to achieve it.Meditate or some shit :club:

Definately turn the tv off, put some music on that you can listen to and just focus...make sure your tables are big enough on your monitor that you can quickly focus in on them. In between moves, take your hand off the mouse so you have to take an extra few seconds to refocus before your move.

I've been playing a lot of poker for the last few months, and been getting progressively better. My main problem, however, is staying focused on the game consistently. Whenever I focus I feel like I make (what I feel to be) the best decision possible, but when I loose that "groove", I berate myself later for bonehead plays. Do you guys have any ideas or suggestions on how to stay focused ?
Smoke a bowl of dank nugs every hour and focus on your tables. Quit after the third bowl because you'll start to get tired.No need to thank me for suggesting drugs.
Smoke a bowl of dank nugs every hour and focus on your tables. Quit after the third bowl because you'll start to get tired.No need to thank me for suggesting drugs.
"dank nugs". where do you potheads come up with this silliness?
"dank nugs". where do you potheads come up with this silliness?
Well, nugs would be considered a grade of weed. Its a good grade, not the best.It goes in order: swag-middies-nugs-headiesDank is just a cool slang word yo.
I've had this same problem lately. Usually when I start losing focus on a table, it's because I'm either bored or don't really feel like playing anymore. What I've been doing is closing everything except itunes and FTP, maximizing my table window, and putting on music that's easy to listen to but doesn't require any attention (I've found that ambient, instrumental stuff works best.) Additionally, I only enter tournaments when I really want to be playing poker and know that I'll be interested in everything that's going on at the table. It's definitely been helping, but I'm still not 100% there all the time.