Where Are They Now?

There is a feature on MTV which profiles folks who made a big splash 20 years or so ago (mostly 1 hit wonders). Seems like we could form quite a list from the early days of the poker boom. Stars may be a bit of a big word (probably fits the Grinder though as everyone knew who he was for a while) In particular, I would be curious of what became of these players who at one point or another were on a very nice run (some nicer than others of course):Thomas (Thunder) KellerTuan LeMatt MatrosMichael MizrachiLiz Lueu (sp?)David WilliamsHave these guys gone busto? You don't seem to hear their names much anymore. Please feel free to add to this list.I would add Moneymaker and Raymer but they seem to pop up playing mid and low limit and the odd tourney on Stars now and then.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about Chris Karaguyan? He won the first WPT event and the first poker show I ever watched and I used to think he was so good. That FT was pretty tough too if I remember, with Mark Seif and John Hennigan

Far too early for Clay Aiken but we should get that new guy AcesontheRiver is starting to remind me a bit of Clay Aiken.It is so difficult to predict what is required for a superthread outbreak any more.........

Thomas (Thunder) KellerTuan LeMatt MatrosMichael MizrachiLiz Lueu (sp?)David Williams
Thomas Keller played high stakes limit poker on UB for a long, long, long time. He's probably still around.Tuan Le still plays big cash in Vegas.Matt Matros I have no idea.Michael Mirachi plays everything, still, and is under contract with Planet Hollywood.Liz Lieu just final tabled the APPT in Macau.David Williams no idea, he still pops up at parties from what I hear, so he's around.
What about Chris Karaguyan? He won the first WPT event and the first poker show I ever watched and I used to think he was so good. That FT was pretty tough too if I remember, with Mark Seif and John Hennigan
He actually won the 2nd one, Gus won the first, Seif was at that FT, Hennigan wasnt. KFL was, but CK knocked her out on 2nd hand AK>QQ

I just saw David Williams on PAD wearing some stupid bling necklace with 2 aces on it. Looked like something Ryland would rock. Pic is on the PAD site under the 11-20 lineup, click on David to see. Looked like something you'd buy on here. --> www.pimpcostumes.com/Tom.

Thomas Keller played high stakes limit poker on UB for a long, long, long time. He's probably still around.Tuan Le still plays big cash in Vegas.Matt Matros I have no idea.Michael Mirachi plays everything, still, and is under contract with Planet Hollywood.Liz Lieu just final tabled the APPT in Macau.David Williams no idea, he still pops up at parties from what I hear, so he's around.
Wow - you are in the know! Ok, some more then:Tex BarchPaul PhillipsMike GraczAndy BealHoward Lederer?

Chris Moneymaker?Getting by on endorsements?

Wow - you are in the know! Ok, some more then:Tex BarchPaul PhillipsMike GraczAndy BealHoward Lederer?
I heard they were all on a bus that got hit by a train that Gus Hansen was engineering............
Chip and Karina JettArthur Lee (pstars qualifier with pic of family in front of him at 2005 WSOP???)Ben AffleckTobey Maguire
Are you just naming random people? I don't think Ben Affleck and Spiderman never achieved anything great in poker other than bringing in some money and leaving it on the table. Chip and Karina Jett still play tournys and write for Cardplayer, so does Matros. Andy Beal? Howard Lederer? Turn on Full Tilt or Poker after Dark. I think i'm just wasting my time replying to all of these obvious ones.Tom.
Chip and Karina JettArthur Lee (pstars qualifier with pic of family in front of him at 2005 WSOP???)Ben AffleckTobey Maguire
I think you're thinking of Bernard Lee. He never claimed to be a pro if I recall. I think he still plays some tournaments from time to time and writes articles about it for ESPN.com.