Wine Thread

OK Keith, I need some help. A buddy of mine brought over some local Livermore wines this last weekend, we started talking about wine, and somehow got into a conversation about introducing people to wine, with specifically good wine. We were talking about sending people on wine tasting tours in Napa and which places were the best bang for your buck. We then got into the inevitable discussion of Opus One. Now personally I think it is a good wine, but not great, especially not great for $160+ a bottle. Some people I have talked to think it one of the most over-rated wine out there.I would like your perspective on it:A. In regards to value.B. Not taking price into consideration at all.Because I think he is ridiculous and I have no backup since I have only had a couple glasses in my life and they were awhile ago.
opus is good and can be excellent, but rarely is opus on that next level. Like Jeff noted, its the addition of mouton that makes opus what it is IRT price. There are definitely other high end wines that I would buy before I'd consider buying opus. There is zero value in it and like I said, there are many other wines that I'd buy before buying opus
I know my name is not Keith, but was in Napa for 5 days in April, so I will give you some of my thoughts.Opus 1 - Agree that it is HIGHLY overrated at $160/bottle. The Mondavi/Rothchild name is the main reason. Didn't tour it. Had the wine once and was meh. Have 2 other collector/drinker sickos's like me and whose palate I respect, and this is their sentiment about O1 also.Better options:1. Chateau Montelena Estate - Went on the Library tasting tour...was real nice. I have always been a big fan of this wine as it is very good to excellent every year. My all time fav is the 1994. At about $50/bottle less, it is a much better value.2. Phelps Insignia - Also went on the tour and it was a spectacular view. Insignia is always in my top 5. It has become brutally expensive ( $200) and haven't bought any since 2001. I have a vertical from 94-01.3. Merryvale - Tasting room was ok. I like the Profile a lot and at around $100-110 is a much better value.4. Darioush - People either like this new winery or don't. It has a very good Cab at around $80 and the winery is very modern and Persian looking. Place for cool people to check out.5. Raymond - Went to a tasting there and was treated like a king. Huskers20 has a friend who i met and his mom has poured there for 20 years. I like their Generations and at $80/bottle is a good value.6. Silver Oak Napa - Keith thinks there are plenty of better choices and at around $100 is a better value than O1. Like Montelena, I have never been disappointed. Didn't tour there, but will on my return trip.These are just are some of my personal experiences with some Cabs/Cab blends compared to Opus 1. I am sure there are dozens more at lower price points that others may have experience with. I mainly stick with ones I know but with the recent visit added Raymond to my go to list when I go out and have to choose a wine.
I'll disagree with Darioush and of course Silver Oak. Seriously, get yourself on Karl Lawrence's mailing list so that you can get their cabs. Great stuff that really ages well. I have a few and will definitely grab one the next time we pop some bottles. Darioush for me is just way too judicious on the use of oak and too jammy for me without having a lot of depth of fruitGaupo, what is the price range that you two were discussing as that would effect on what wines I'd reccomend. Are you also only limiting it to Cabs/cab blends, or are syrah's, pinots, and chards included? I can come up with a list tommorrow as I'm preparing to go to a friends place to watch the bears and drink some vino and beer
  • Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

opus is good and can be excellent, but rarely is opus on that next level. Like Jeff noted, its the addition of mouton that makes opus what it is IRT price. There are definitely other high end wines that I would buy before I'd consider buying opus. There is zero value in it and like I said, there are many other wines that I'd buy before buying opusI'll disagree with Darioush and of course Silver Oak. Seriously, get yourself on Karl Lawrence's mailing list so that you can get their cabs. Great stuff that really ages well. I have a few and will definitely grab one the next time we pop some bottles. Darioush for me is just way too judicious on the use of oak and too jammy for me without having a lot of depth of fruitGaupo, what is the price range that you two were discussing as that would effect on what wines I'd reccomend. Are you also only limiting it to Cabs/cab blends, or are syrah's, pinots, and chards included? I can come up with a list tommorrow as I'm preparing to go to a friends place to watch the bears and drink some vino and beer
It was a very open ended discussion. He was just talking about the best wines in Napa. Mostly cabs but we were talking about Chardonnay and others too.Where it came from is when he started dating his now wife, that she did not like wine. So he started her on Opus, Sliver Oak, Plump Jack, and even some lower end decent wines like Freemark Abby, Nickle and Nickle, Robert Sinsky, etc.Basically he was saying that if you don't like wine, I can fine stuff you like.
It was a very open ended discussion. He was just talking about the best wines in Napa. Mostly cabs but we were talking about Chardonnay and others too.Where it came from is when he started dating his now wife, that she did not like wine. So he started her on Opus, Sliver Oak, Plump Jack, and even some lower end decent wines like Freemark Abby, Nickle and Nickle, Robert Sinsky, etc.Basically he was saying that if you don't like wine, I can fine stuff you like.
well, this would go for anyone IMO. I've opened a bunch of burgs and younger(as in the earliest being 98) barolos for a friend who normally doesn't like wine and he's loved them. If price is no object then everyone would be a fan of wine as they'd be able to drink DRC, Harlan, Latour, Gaja, etc all the time. Obviously I could recomend Harlan, Bryant Family, Screagle, HSS, etc if one has the means, but giving no price range makes things unrealistic
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
PAUL HOBBS CABERNET SAUVIGNON 2005BECKSTOFFER TO KALONAnyone ever had this?
just rechecked this thread and I will say, do not buy, do not pass go, do not collect $200. Hobbs overdoes it on his cabs and on all wines he's connected with. Hides the fruit with too much oak, etc etc. Chappellet Pritchard Hill is much cheaper and muchmuch better.Guapo, have you yet to try a Chateauneuf Du Pape or a decent bordeaux?
just rechecked this thread and I will say, do not buy, do not pass go, do not collect $200. Hobbs overdoes it on his cabs and on all wines he's connected with. Hides the fruit with too much oak, etc etc. Chappellet Pritchard Hill is much cheaper and muchmuch better.Guapo, have you yet to try a Chateauneuf Du Pape or a decent bordeaux?
I can concur on the Chappellet and WTF you been Keith?
I can concur on the Chappellet and WTF you been Keith?
working and classes took up a lot of posting time. I wish I could say that there are new and exciting things in my life, but not really

I need a good recommendation on a gift wine, one I could find at a BevMO, or somewhere fairly mainstream.Looking for an easy drinking good Red, price range between $30 and $75-ish. Thinking Fransiscan magnificant, or......?anyone?...anyone?...thx.

I need a good recommendation on a gift wine, one I could find at a BevMO, or somewhere fairly mainstream.Looking for an easy drinking good Red, price range between $30 and $75-ish. Thinking Fransiscan magnificant, or......?anyone?...anyone?...thx.
Etude Banfi Brunello Merryvale Beckstoffer Joseph Phelps Jordan Mount Vedeer
Guapo, have you yet to try a Chateauneuf Du Pape or a decent bordeaux?
For the most part I have just been drinking what I have. But I did go to BevMo a few weeks ago and though of you, and started to look around and realized I had no idea what I was looking at and was not about to ask the advice of some 22 year old that has probably never even tasted 99% of the wines there.I don't remember what I bought.Next year I will make a concious effort to look back at your notes and get some different/new stuff.
i'll take a look at bevmo tonight and give you some ideas
For the most part I have just been drinking what I have. But I did go to BevMo a few weeks ago and though of you, and started to look around and realized I had no idea what I was looking at and was not about to ask the advice of some 22 year old that has probably never even tasted 99% of the wines there.I don't remember what I bought.Next year I will make a concious effort to look back at your notes and get some different/new stuff.
with CdPs, you can buy blind right now as the vintages available are really nice overall. I would say, don't take that line of thought IRT the workers there. You'd be surprised at what they've tasted and I'm not that much older then a 22 yr old
i'll take a look at bevmo tonight and give you some ideaswith CdPs, you can buy blind right now as the vintages available are really nice overall. I would say, don't take that line of thought IRT the workers there. You'd be surprised at what they've tasted and I'm not that much older then a 22 yr old
You don't work at BevMo.

A week or two ago I decided to try a little more expensive bottle than normal. I went to Binny's and they had all the Top 100 Wine Spectator wines listed.I ended up getting the #39 one, which was a French wine. I can't remember what it was though, I believe either a Bordeaux or Burgundy, I must say, I didn't like it better than my normal 10-15 range Spanish and South American wines. Was nicely complex, but a little too earthy, so could possibly be just a preference thing, but I was hoping for a bit more.

A week or two ago I decided to try a little more expensive bottle than normal. I went to Binny's and they had all the Top 100 Wine Spectator wines listed.I ended up getting the #39 one, which was a French wine. I can't remember what it was though, I believe either a Bordeaux or Burgundy, I must say, I didn't like it better than my normal 10-15 range Spanish and South American wines. Was nicely complex, but a little too earthy, so could possibly be just a preference thing, but I was hoping for a bit more.
Non-CdP rhone wines are a very different breed and one has to have a taste for them. Its also a 05 Gigondas and it probably needed a good decant, but again, a lot of old world grenache is an aquired taste and there are a lot of people who don't like them. start with a lot of cotes du rhones first to possibly get used to the flavor profiles and what to expect. it'll be more affordable and give you a feel for the region
You don't work at BevMo.
you don't know what the employees may know. The store I work for is a large chain, and quite frankly it pisses me off when I have customers coming in that are older then me and give me bullshit attitude thinking that I don't know what I'm talking about when I've drank much better then all of the ones giving me that attitude. Don't be that guynutz, here's what I'd reccomend:01 Argiano05 Achaval-Ferrer05 Dead Arm04 franus I'll profess a bias towards Franus wines as I've met him and his wife and they are great people, so I always try to do my best to support them06 caymus cabthat's what I'd go with from bevmo. I do have to say, I'm not impressed by the prices or selection(or wilfred wong's palate)
Don't be that guy
It's not like I was wearing the shirt of the band that I was going to see.Honestly it had nothing to do with the guys age, he was just a cashier, he barely knew what the liquor I was purchasing was.
Non-CdP rhone wines are a very different breed and one has to have a taste for them. Its also a 05 Gigondas and it probably needed a good decant, but again, a lot of old world grenache is an aquired taste and there are a lot of people who don't like them. start with a lot of cotes du rhones first to possibly get used to the flavor profiles and what to expect. it'll be more affordable and give you a feel for the regionyou don't know what the employees may know. The store I work for is a large chain, and quite frankly it pisses me off when I have customers coming in that are older then me and give me bullshit attitude thinking that I don't know what I'm talking about when I've drank much better then all of the ones giving me that attitude. Don't be that guynutz, here's what I'd reccomend:01 Argiano05 Achaval-Ferrer05 Dead Arm04 franus I'll profess a bias towards Franus wines as I've met him and his wife and they are great people, so I always try to do my best to support them06 caymus cabthat's what I'd go with from bevmo. I do have to say, I'm not impressed by the prices or selection(or wilfred wong's palate)
I do have a good mom and pop wine store right across the street from me too, but I have no idea what to order. These folks travel and ton and really know their stuff. VERY popular little wine store, with a small restaurant too.Thanks for the tips everyone!
  • 2 weeks later...
LMAO!ty sean
Well. look at it this way. At least your not drinking it.BTW that Menage a trois stuff, will give you the shudders. I had a friend who like the name so he bought cases of that crap at lie 2.99 a bottle. Let just say that was overpriced.

Honestly, why do people who know nothing about wine give it as gifts? I got a freaking bottle of Ecco Domani Pinot Grigio in a grab bag/secret santa kind of thing. I mean honestly! First of all, don't be such a cheap ass, and second of all, wine is simple. If you''re not a wine person, and you've heard of it... it's bad.

Honestly, why do people who know nothing about wine give it as gifts? I got a freaking bottle of Ecco Domani Pinot Grigio in a grab bag/secret santa kind of thing. I mean honestly! First of all, don't be such a cheap ass, and second of all, wine is simple. If you''re not a wine person, and you've heard of it... it's bad.
That's funny but true.This only goes if the person you are giving it to knows wine though. If they are used to drinking wine from a box...anything you give them in a bottle will probably be fine.I recently sent this wine gift basket to a friend for Christmas... Wine Gift BasketThe thing I found peculiar was they never asked for proof of age from me or the recipient when delivored.

Has anyone tried out any of the Niagara Ice Wines and what are your opinions of them?