Official Firearms Thread

They're just using Newtown to further the agenda...which is disarming the public. They know full well they can't get guns out of the hands of criminals and they don't care, that's not what this legislation is about. If they cared about crime, they would be going after illegal handguns, which are used in 90% of all gun-related violence. But, that's hard and stuff, and it's easier to say you're doing something and disarm law-abiding people because we're such a soft target. Or at least we were.

who you callin soft? i get rockhard everytime i read this thread...perhaps i've shared too much.

if you haven't seen it, i suggest you find the q&a by and especially the closing argument of assemblyman Mcglaughin. good shtuff.

• Replies 795
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Being a Winnner is like playing with the cheat codes on.

Ouc, I cant see an image but I assume its just a stripped lower?       Buy a fire control group, which has the trigger, hammer, disconnector, safety, and the pins and springs. I like DPMS parts. S

I take it back. She's flippin' gorgeous!   http://i.imgur.com/f38kVtJ.jpg       Boooooo, I don't know the code to make that show up as a pic instead of a link.

I donated to Steve McLaughlin's campaign yesterday to show appreciation for how brilliant he was on the Assembly floor. Big, big fan of his.

video?

Thanks Hank.

Thoughts on the MP Shield?

I have no direct experience with one. but doing some quick googling I doubt I'd be a fan. 1. I don't like compacts, especially a compact that is firing a .40 s&w or other larger caliber. 2. I don't like smith & wesson automatics much either. s&w is the american manufacturer for walthers. dad picked one up and it was a pile of turd. feed jams every 3-5 rds. and if you actually had the patience to shoot anymore than a dozen shots in a sitting, it beat the hell out of your hand.

I have no direct experience with one. but doing some quick googling I doubt I'd be a fan. 1. I don't like compacts, especially a compact that is firing a .40 s&w or other larger caliber. 2. I don't like smith & wesson automatics much either. s&w is the american manufacturer for walthers. dad picked one up and it was a pile of turd. feed jams every 3-5 rds. and if you actually had the patience to shoot anymore than a dozen shots in a sitting, it beat the hell out of your hand.

What's your favorite conceal/carry choice overall?

For less than 1k?

dunno, no ccw. dad likes his glock 22 for concealed carry. he used to use my browning .380 in a shoulder holster since he had to wear a suit everyday.

for less than 1k you should be able to get about any pistol you want. if you're looking for something small and easy to conceal i've heard good things about s&w 642 internal hammer (aka hammerless) revolvers.

dunno, no ccw. dad likes his glock 22 for concealed carry. he used to use my browning .380 in a shoulder holster since he had to wear a suit everyday.

for less than 1k you should be able to get about any pistol you want. if you're looking for something small and easy to conceal i've heard good things about s&w 642 internal hammer (aka hammerless) revolvers.

Basically the same thing as my Ruger LCR, hammerless 5-shot .38+p. At 15oz it's an easy CCW choice, but I don't know if it's the best one. My next pistol purchase will be a Kahr PM40, another pocket pistol but this one is a single-stack 7 shot .40 S&W.

Brv

I've decided I would get a .380 instead of a .38 special if I were going to get a pocket pistol. The j frame revolvers feel better in my hand than the .380 semi's and the round is plenty big but it just seems too big for a front pocket carry. I haven't shot either of them so I shouldn't be weighing in on the specific caliber and style. Hank and ajs's give good advice.

I don't know your body type but generally if your wearing a suit jacket or an open type over shirt then you should be able to CC a mid sized pistol very easily. I don't know how comfortable would be for you. I have a glock 19 9mm that's light and ill be carrying inside the waistband once my license comes through in 3 months.

You're in Iowa? Look into your state laws on CC if you haven't already.

You should be able to get almost any CC handgun your likely to choose for under 650. Holster 60-100. Cleaning supplies around 30. Ammo depends on the gun but expect to buy and go through several hundred rounds to get used to the gun and become a proficient shot from holster to target from many different defensive postures. If you have somewhere to shoot then range fees won't come into play. If not, you should be able to find a range for 10-15 per session or yearly membership for under 200. If you do have a range near you then I would go rent some different guns and see what you like best. The CC class would probably be 125-200 depending on your area. I don't know what your license fee is but it's 155 in Colorado. A safety and defensive shooting course is a really really really good idea which would vary wildly depending on how in depth and how long the course is. You have a Mormonesque type brood right? I'd install a vertical access safe next to my bed to store your gun which should be under 300.

As you can see, this adds up to over 1k really fast and that doesn't even account for the likelihood of you enjoying target practice which means more ammo and you'll want different guns and your kids will need to learn to shoot too. Lol

Of course it's likely you're already very familiar with guns in general and know everything I mentioned and more.

Why do you want to carry?

Best possible advice on purchasing a CC pistol...shoot and handle as many different calibers and pistols as you're able to get your hands on, and go from there. Everyone is different, and you're not going to have the exact same comfort-level with a particular gun or caliber that someone else does. If you have a rental range in your area, visit them and go through some ammo deciding what you like and what you don't, and why.

The last couple months I've been a little annoyed because back when I bought my M4 I overlooked the whole "chambered for .223 only" thing and didn't have one chambered for 5.56. So went to a gun show today and bought a new one. It's still a bushmaster, it didn't come with the carry handle and A2 sights but it did come with with a decent red dot. They wanted 1500 and I wasn't going to do it until dad said he would buy my current rifle for 1100. So I did it, I was even able to find some 5.56 ammo for 10 and change for a box of 20, catch was limit 100/customer.

Well done Hank. Sounds like a deal on the ammo since it's scarce.

I'd like to get a red dot since I'm not very accurate with iron sights. Too bad the affordable red dots can't be had right now. Heck, even the high end optics are sold out for the most part.

You know what this thread is missing? Pics of new acquisitions...that's what.

Guns sure are expensive!

Well done Hank. Sounds like a deal on the ammo since it's scarce.

I'd like to get a red dot since I'm not very accurate with iron sights. Too bad the affordable red dots can't be had right now. Heck, even the high end optics are sold out for the most part.

You know what this thread is missing? Pics of new acquisitions...that's what.

Guns sure are expensive!

I've actually got 2 red dots now. one is just the single dot, the new one is a dot with a circle around it...jury is out on which I prefer. both are just 1x. I picked up the first one on amazon for ~45 during emonday week sales.

good point.

pictured here is my original M4, along with my pistols and my '03.

DSC00111.jpg

here is my .270 WSM that dad gave me. he didn't want it anymore and my plan was to trade it in towards an M14 but I don't know if that's going to happen.

004_zpse430e4c6.jpg

And here's my new baby.

001_zps4f4836d2.jpg

Sweet pics! Makes me want to go shoot in the rain tomorrow.

Your dad let you keep the red dot on the one he bought from you AND he gives you awesome rifles too? Your pops rules.

Sweet pics! Makes me want to go shoot in the rain tomorrow.

Your dad let you keep the red dot on the one he bought from you AND he gives you awesome rifles too? Your pops rules.

yeah he really does.

Basically, all those guns have been purchased by him. According to official records I don't own a single gun, don't even have so much as an application for a purchase permit on the books. might have to ask Bob to pull a "he who shall not be named" with my posts here if the antigun crowd has their way.

I offered to give him one of the red dot sights but he said he wanted to keep just peep sights. I did give him the rail that fits on the carry handle in case he changes his mind down the road.

I looked at the receipt for the original M4 and we paid 1010 for it 5 years ago, my how the market has changed....

Hank, it's perfectly legal for your father to give you guns. No paperwork is required.

precisely. and he sold all his guns at a gunshow in colorado. I don't own any guns. nope, never have. they're too scary.

point is if the fringe ever gets its way and the feds start knocking on doors, there is no reason for them to knock on mine, since there are no receipts for a gun with my name on them and not even so much as a handgun purchase permit application. i'm completely off the official radar.

$464 down. 250 rounds 00 buck, 500 rounds prvi .40 cal. ammoman.com. highly recommended as of now. ordered it 45 minutes ago and nust got the shipment confirmation. that's insane.

giggidy. just got an "in" with a L.E.O. that can get bulk .223 hornady and get it for half price. says he'll be putting in an order in a couple of three months. woot! now i'll actually be able to sight in my red dot and not feel bad for depleting my cache.

oh, shake. i too am thinking about getting in the reloading game. let me know if you turn up any good sites in your research.