Tessie Is The Royal Rooters Rally Cry

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course these are good points, but it's far enough into the season to at least start the conversation. When a team is 7-0, has won their games by an average of 21 points, and is scoring at a record pace with an above average defense, not to mention the fact that they're a few years off a 3 super bowl in 4 year stretch...I think we can talk about it. Obviously we don't know what will happen for the rest of the season, but sports are pretty boring if you have to wait until the end to look back instead of making predictions and arguing about how things will play out.For me, it's just that I watch them play every week and can't imagine how anyone could possibly beat them. From any era. But I'm a homer...and I'm looking forward to the Colts game(s) coming up.So true. A few years ago the Patriot's franchise quarterback went down and some guy who only started one year in college had to fill in. I forget what happened, but I feel like it went pretty well.I kid, you're right of course, but I don't think backups should be part of the "best team ever" argument unless during the year in question one of the starters did actually go down. For argument's sake, if Brady stays healthy and the Pats go 19-0, I don't think you can argue that their overall greatness goes down because "what if Brady had gone down?"
No, but it does go into factoring the overall strength of the team. Meh, maybe I'm biased towards past teams, or maybe I just don't have that much faith in players like Moss and Stallworth (and that little white guy who I can't be bothered to look up....sigh, i lied...wes welker). Moss has never been much of a 'winner' to me, if that makes sense. Brady probably makes up for any loser like tendecies Moss might exhibit eventually though, and then some.I'd have to compare great teams position by position, and how they end up the year, or I can just wait for the Patriots to win the Super Bowl this year and have espn.com do it for me (which they no doubt will). Off the top of my head though, I can't see this Patriots team being better then, let's say the 89 Niners or the 94 Niners, or a mid 90s Cowboy team when viewed position by position. I think their dominance has been more a sign of the mediocrity of most the NFL, then of their omnipotence. The 2nd half of their schedule is a lot tougher though (Due to the AFC East sucking, and SD and Cincy being awful, or at least in comparison to what people thought they'd be), so I guess we will see if they truly are a dominant team. No doubt they (and Indy) are a step above the rest of the NFL this year though.
No, but it does go into factoring the overall strength of the team. Meh, maybe I'm biased towards past teams, or maybe I just don't have that much faith in players like Moss and Stallworth (and that little white guy who I can't be bothered to look up....sigh, i lied...wes welker). Moss has never been much of a 'winner' to me, if that makes sense. Brady probably makes up for any loser like tendecies Moss might exhibit eventually though, and then some.
Moss is one of the best receivers in the NFL and one of the most explosive of all time. Stallworth is the #1 option on at least 50% of teams. Welker is an unbelievable guy to have as your slot/3rd option. Ben Watson is a well above average tight end and Kyle Brady could start on plenty of teams.. They have 3 solid running backs, a phenomenal offensive line, and obviously a big-time qb. I'm not sure what else you'd want...and as for Moss not being a 'winner', no, that doesn't make any sense. He's had his problems, but the guy has been nothing but professional this year (besides the fact that he's on pace to break a record or two).
I'd have to compare great teams position by position, and how they end up the year, or I can just wait for the Patriots to win the Super Bowl this year and have espn.com do it for me (which they no doubt will). Off the top of my head though, I can't see this Patriots team being better then, let's say the 89 Niners or the 94 Niners, or a mid 90s Cowboy team when viewed position by position. I think their dominance has been more a sign of the mediocrity of most the NFL, then of their omnipotence. The 2nd half of their schedule is a lot tougher though (Due to the AFC East sucking, and SD and Cincy being awful, or at least in comparison to what people thought they'd be), so I guess we will see if they truly are a dominant team.
I guess it's too early to say the Patriots are better than those teams, but I think you're jumping the gun if you already think that they wouldn't stack up. I'll just say that through the first 7 games of the season the Pats are more dominant than any of those teams you just named were through their first 7, and that's all we can compare at the moment.
Moss is one of the best receivers in the NFL and one of the most explosive of all time. Stallworth is the #1 option on at least 50% of teams. Welker is an unbelievable guy to have as your slot/3rd option. Ben Watson is a well above average tight end and Kyle Brady could start on plenty of teams.. They have 3 solid running backs, a phenomenal offensive line, and obviously a big-time qb. I'm not sure what else you'd want...and as for Moss not being a 'winner', no, that doesn't make any sense. He's had his problems, but the guy has been nothing but professional this year (besides the fact that he's on pace to break a record or two).
The fact that Moss has been so good this year, while he mailed it in over the last few years in Oakland, is pretty telling regarding his character IMHO. I wouldn't argue with his talent, but he has the tendecy to quit on his team when things go bad (see Vikings @ NYG NFC Championship game). Hopefully for Patriots fans he never finds a reason to rebel. Stallworth being the #1 option on 50% of teams is pretty off base I think, and that is putting it politely. There is a reason he was available this year. He's started at least 11 games over his 6 year career, and his best year was 70 catches/7 td in 2005. Last year he had 38 catches in 11 games for an Eagles team that was desperate for a WR to fill TO's shoes. He has performed best in his career as a #2 guy, with someone like Joe Horn in NO, and now Moss in New England drawing the double teams and the attention from opposing teams. That is pretty much irrefutable and obvious if you look at his career numbers.The offensive line is excellent though, and Watson is above avg in regards to TEs in the league. Never been a big fan of running back by commitee, but it really shouldn't be a problem with the offense they are running.
I guess it's too early to say the Patriots are better than those teams, but I think you're jumping the gun if you already think that they wouldn't stack up. I'll just say that through the first 7 games of the season the Pats are more dominant than any of those teams you just named were through their first 7, and that's all we can compare at the moment.
There have been a lot of 7-0 teams throughout the years that have looked dominant. The 72' Dolphins were undefeated, but that doesn't mean they were the 'best' team of all time. One has to look at competition, overall roster depth, etc etc. I have no idea how they will stack up against the best teams of all time, but 7 games into a season is way to early to even consider it. I wouldn't watch a 2 hour movie, and 45 minutes into it think to myself 'This could be one of the greatest movies I have ever seen'.
Ahhh..yeah.. Ashley Lelie, Darrel Jackson and Arnaz Battle are pretty fierce in their own regard though....
Lelie hadn't caught a ball until last week. Jackson drops everything. Battle actually is probably the best of the 3, but he is more suited for the slot.Then again, with Trent Dilfer at the helm it shouldn't matter who our WRs are. :)In all seriousness though, the o line play has probably been the biggest disappointment following how well they played in front of Gore last year.
The fact that Moss has been so good this year, while he mailed it in over the last few years in Oakland, is pretty telling regarding his character IMHO. I wouldn't argue with his talent, but he has the tendecy to quit on his team when things go bad (see Vikings @ NYG NFC Championship game). Hopefully for Patriots fans he never finds a reason to rebel.
Honestly, I'm not sure if he mailed it in or just couldn't do it all himself on a terrible team. What's a downfield receiver going to do if the quarterback can't get him the ball due to constant pressure or just ineptitude?
Stallworth being the #1 option on 50% of teams is pretty off base I think, and that is putting it politely. There is a reason he was available this year. He's started at least 11 games over his 6 year career, and his best year was 70 catches/7 td in 2005. Last year he had 38 catches in 11 games for an Eagles team that was desperate for a WR to fill TO's shoes. He has performed best in his career as a #2 guy, with someone like Joe Horn in NO, and now Moss in New England drawing the double teams and the attention from opposing teams. That is pretty much irrefutable and obvious if you look at his career numbers.
Ok, I'll give you that one. He certainly looks like a very solid player this year, but I guess that comes from being flanked by Moss and Welker.
There have been a lot of 7-0 teams throughout the years that have looked dominant. The 72' Dolphins were undefeated, but that doesn't mean they were the 'best' team of all time. One has to look at competition, overall roster depth, etc etc. I have no idea how they will stack up against the best teams of all time, but 7 games into a season is way to early to even consider it. I wouldn't watch a 2 hour movie, and 45 minutes into it think to myself 'This could be one of the greatest movies I have ever seen'.
There is no 'best' of all time really...it's just too subjective. I think you can call a team "the most dominant" of all time, and I think it is reasonable to call a team "one of the best" of all time like I did in this thread. Actually, now that I think about it, I think it's almost silly that anyone would argue with that. Again, they are in the midst of one of the best 7 game stretches in NFL history...plenty of teams have been 7-0, but very very few have done it with such dominance as the Pats have this year. If I went to a movie starring a half dozen of the best actors of my generation, directed by *insert your favorite director here*, and produced by the team of James Cameron, Steven Spielberg, and George Lucus...and it had amazing reviews...and 45 minutes into the film it was blowing my socks off...hell fucking yeah I would think to myself, "So far this is shaping up to be one of the greatest movies I've ever seen." Whether or not that's a fair comparison to this year's Pats, you really wouldn't let that thought cross your mind before the very end of the movie? Really? You'd wait to see if it was headed downhill before getting a little excited about what you were in the middle of enjoying? Seems like a perfectly logical but boring way to do it.
If I went to a movie starring a half dozen of the best actors of my generation, directed by *insert your favorite director here*, and produced by the team of James Cameron, Steven Spielberg, and George Lucus...and it had amazing reviews...and 45 minutes into the film it was blowing my socks off...hell fucking yeah I would think to myself, "So far this is shaping up to be one of the greatest movies I've ever seen." Whether or not that's a fair comparison to this year's Pats, you really wouldn't let that thought cross your mind before the very end of the movie? Really? You'd wait to see if it was headed downhill before getting a little excited about what you were in the middle of enjoying? Seems like a perfectly logical but boring way to do it.
I started to type this same thing yesterday, but obviously I'm a pussy and needed Speedz to say it first, so I just copped out and said we'll know more after Pats/Colts.He said it better anyway.Let's go Schilling.

Can we please just go ahead and start calling this season's Patriots one of the best teams in history? I really want to remember November 4th as the day the Colts beat one of the best teams in history.

Can we please just go ahead and start calling this season's Patriots one of the best teams in history? I really want to remember November 4th as the day the Colts beat one of the best teams in history.
Just be happy your team, after years and years and years of getting their asses handed to them, barely beat the worst team of the Patriots dynasty last year because a high school receiver couldn't hold onto the ball in the end zone. :)edit- couldn't help myself
Just be happy your team, after years and years and years of getting their asses handed to them, barely beat the worst team of the Patriots dynasty last year because a high school receiver couldn't hold onto the ball in the end zone. :)edit- couldn't help myself
Nicely done.
biiiiiiiiiiiitch
The worst team of the "dynasty"? Don't you remember 2002?I'll tell you what I'm happiest about. It's the irony. The delicious irony that now it's Patriot fans making excuses for their shortcomings. The delicious irony that the Patriots are reveling in stats while the Colts are simply winning football games. Delicious.
I'll tell you what I'm happiest about. It's the irony. The delicious irony that now it's Patriot fans making excuses for their shortcomings. The delicious irony that the Patriots are reveling in stats while the Colts are simply winning football games. Delicious.
Ha! Our "shortcomings" are JUST making the AFC championship game. It's soooooooooooooo good to be us.You're the reigning champs and still have an inferiority complex. It's kind of good to be you, I suppose.
The worst team of the "dynasty"? Don't you remember 2002?I'll tell you what I'm happiest about. It's the irony. The delicious irony that now it's Patriot fans making excuses for their shortcomings. The delicious irony that the Patriots are reveling in stats while the Colts are simply winning football games. Delicious.
That is ironic. I knew I should've stayed out of this thread.It's gonna be a great game.And yes, dynasty baby. (Last year's team was the best rebuilding team in the history of the NFL, but yeah, they the worst of the bunch imo. As I read somewhere, you can't measure ev of the heart, and that 2002 team had heart.)
I thought this thread was supposed to be about baseball?
I forgot about the beginning of the game while in here.We should do a 'the loser has to post a picture of' bet for the Pats/Colts game.(Or something you might like more loogie, the loser has to stake a micro donk in a $55 mtt :club:)
I forgot about the beginning of the game while in here.We should do a 'the loser has to post a picture of' bet for the Pats/Colts game.
I'm down.
I'm down.
You want to think of one? Because you're funny and I'm not and I'm sure it'll be good. Or, Speedz is funny too, maybe you both can think one up and we'll pick one.Or, everyone think of one and post it. This could get good.