Computer Saga Continues

Okay, so about 3 weeks ago, I had a new computer built. Last night the hard drive went out and they are saying they can't recover anything. Needless to say, I hadn't backed up anything since until a couple days ago, I was still adding things. So pretty much, I am ****ed. I lost a bunch of documents that I need for my business, all my Pokertracker stats and a ton more stuff. I think I know the answer but does anyone know any way to get any of this back?

Okay, so about 3 weeks ago, I had a new computer built. Last night the hard drive went out and they are saying they can't recover anything. Needless to say, I hadn't backed up anything since until a couple days ago, I was still adding things. So pretty much, I am ****ed. I lost a bunch of documents that I need for my business, all my Pokertracker stats and a ton more stuff. I think I know the answer but does anyone know any way to get any of this back?
GG :(Side note & my pm box is almost full - did you get what I sent you in the mail?

I had something similar happen about 5 years ago. I found a "Hard Drive Recovery" place on the internet at that time. They took 2 days to recover everything off the drive an put it on a CD-ROM. It cost about $300.00 but the recovery of the files was well worth the cost for me at the time.Good luck, it's not to painful if you can find the right place.

Sega sucks. Get Nintendo.Seriously though, it is recoverable (most likely), but is costly. If it's worth it to you google "hard drive recovery" and find a company. Google reviews of any service you are considering since anyone can throw up a shingle on the internet. You want to make sure the company you deal with is reputable.

there's a few things to try before you go spending more for spinrite or services. can you give any more details about what happens, why you (or someone) thinks the hard drive has 'gone out'?

GG :(Side note & my pm box is almost full - did you get what I sent you in the mail?
Yes sir. Does it come in black and bigger?
Yes sir. Does it come in black and bigger?
LOL...yes, but good god man, take it easy on yourself. The human body is only able to withstand so much abuse. :)I expect an entry from you in the movie contest shortly.
there's a few things to try before you go spending more for spinrite or services. can you give any more details about what happens, why you (or someone) thinks the hard drive has 'gone out'?
Basically I came upstairs last night to shut down my computer and it was just sitting in boot mode. The error it gave said something like "Unable to boot, please insert disk and hit any key." I went into the BIOS and it was not detecting a hard drive. I looked around inside to see if maybe a cable had somehow come out and didn't see anything. After spending like 3 hours last night looking online and trying to see if I could locate another problem, I gave up and took it back to the place that built it this morning. The guy showed me where when he hooked up another hard drive that it was detecting it and not detecting mine. He said he could tell the hard drive was getting power (because he could feel heat) but that it wasn't working (because he couldn't feel it spinning). I of course start panicking and asking if there is any way to save anything from the hard drive. He hooked it up to another computer (I couldn't see what he had on the screen at this point) and said he couldn't recover anything. They are supposed to have it ready tomorrow. He said they have a place that "might" be able to recover some of my hard drive but it starts at 1k a pop. If he hadn't used the word "might" I would probably be seriously considering it. I just don't like the idea of spending a minimum of 1k if they can't guarantee I could recover everything.
http://www.drivesavers.com/enterprise_solutions/index.htmltry there. might cost ya a pretty penny though, but it's an expensive process for fried hds. By saying your hd "went out," can you go into more detail? msg me on aim, I might be able to help you out for free if it's a less serious problem than you might think. AIM: spacial tork
This is actually the company the tech guy recommended that started at 1k. I described the problem in my last post so you can see if you think you might still be of some help (sounds likely to me that the hard drive really did die).

Hmmm.Well, if a HD is going to die, it's probably going to do so in the first couple of weeks. If he has pulled it and installed it in another board without it being seens, and has put another HD in your computer and that worked, those are not good signs. The HD is not being seen in the BIOS, correct?

Hmmm.Well, if a HD is going to die, it's probably going to do so in the first couple of weeks. If he has pulled it and installed it in another board without it being seens, and has put another HD in your computer and that worked, those are not good signs. The HD is not being seen in the BIOS, correct?
Correct. I saw this myself and saw that when he hooked my computer up to the other hard drive that it found it.

SATA or IDE? ALWAYS replace the cable before calling the drive dead. On several occasions, I have put a HD in the freezer for a couple of hours and recovered data when it wouldn;t read normally.

SATA or IDE? ALWAYS replace the cable before calling the drive dead. On several occasions, I have put a HD in the freezer for a couple of hours and recovered data when it wouldn;t read normally.
Even if another drive worked with the same cable? I'm not positive but I think I saw IDE somewhere.

trying to figure out a good way to put this... hmmmm...NOBODY GIVES A ****!!!!!!edit: just had to make my presence known as i do in every rdoink thread, and was kidding

Okay, on the poker side, Stars will email me ALL my HH I have ever played on there? I didn't think so but in a thread on 2+2 FGators had 1.5 million hands sent to him

Im really hoping the computer guy did everything correctly when switching the hard drive. If the drive is getting power, it almost sounds to me like there might be a jumper not connected properly. Also, when he plugs it into another computer, he may need to change the drive into slave mode, or atleast auto select. The freezer trick has worked for me in the past, and allowed me to get like 20 mins of read time on my drive, just enough to get the data off. Would be nice if you could get a second opinion on this other than the guy that built the system.

Im really hoping the computer guy did everything correctly when switching the hard drive. If the drive is getting power, it almost sounds to me like there might be a jumper not connected properly. Also, when he plugs it into another computer, he may need to change the drive into slave mode, or atleast auto select. The freezer trick has worked for me in the past, and allowed me to get like 20 mins of read time on my drive, just enough to get the data off. Would be nice if you could get a second opinion on this other than the guy that built the system.
They finished installing the new hard drive today. Unfortunately the bastards had already shipped the bad hard drive back even though I had mentioned earlier in the day that I might be looking into trying to get the info off the old computer. Still no idea what I am going to do about some of this stuff. I will probably remember quite a bit to recreate but some stuff I can't. I dunno.
They finished installing the new hard drive today. Unfortunately the bastards had already shipped the bad hard drive back even though I had mentioned earlier in the day that I might be looking into trying to get the info off the old computer. Still no idea what I am going to do about some of this stuff. I will probably remember quite a bit to recreate but some stuff I can't. I dunno.
if you still have your half of that frame they printed, and it hasn't been 72 hours, we can get you jacked in and retrieve the data with minimal damage to your brain.
if you still have your half of that frame they printed, and it hasn't been 72 hours, we can get you jacked in and retrieve the data with minimal damage to your brain.
LOL, you got me there. I confused?

I want to laugh...I seriously do but as Markysals found out today, I'm not quite ready to laugh about it yet. This pretty much sucks and I'm sure I will get past my irritation at some point but....