how do i get away from this hand

I was recently in a 55 NLH tournament with around 400 players. There are 17 left and i was stting nice in 4th place. The blinds are 400-800 and the guy in front of me went all in with about 8,000 in chips. I am on the button and have QQ with about 32,000 in chips. The guy in the small blind has 12,000 so Im not worried about him but the big blind is in 2nd place with 38,000 in chips. Im definatley not going to fold with QQ and I was didnt want to limp in and just call becasue the BB might have put me on a week hand and went all in. So I decide to just go all in and it comes to the BB and he thinks for a minute and calls. The guy in front of me turns over 77 and the big blind has KK. I get knocked out and finish in 16th only paying $222. Is there any other way to play the hand? If it happend again I would do the same thing

This seems funny. 400 people started the tourney and with only 17 left the blinds are only 400-800, where did you play, I would like to play in that tourney. Anyway, back to the hand. I would just call here with QQ. Most likely the BB is not going to raise or bet when there is a player all in. He would probably call/check all the way to eliminate a player. And if he bets or reriases, you know he must have a good hand to do that, so why get all your chips in. It's only QQ, even if he had AK, you don't want to be in the hand when you could be eliminated. Just call and hope he checks the whole way down. JMO.

I agree with Saba - I think your best choice is to just call. What are you worried about the BB going all-in behind you with besides AA or KK? In this case, the BB probably figured that you would've just called with AA, and thus figured his kings were likely good.Mostly though, it's just tough luck to run into KK in that spot.

I think I'd make the laydown with QQ, honestly. It's a tournement, man. You have to stay alive. It's not your job to knock someone out from a comfortable position unless you have KK or AA in my opinion. Heed the advice of Phil Hellmuth, who will tell you to fold those queens pre-flop, or The Fresh Prince, who will tell you that "girls ain't nothing but trouble."-rw marks

I was recently in a 55 NLH tournament with around 400 players. There are 17 left and i was stting nice in 4th place. The blinds are 400-800 and the guy in front of me went all in with about 8,000 in chips. I am on the button and have QQ with about 32,000 in chips. The guy in the small blind has 12,000 so Im not worried about him but the big blind is in 2nd place with 38,000 in chips. Im definatley not going to fold with QQ and I was didnt want to limp in and just call becasue the BB might have put me on a week hand and went all in. So I decide to just go all in and it comes to the BB and he thinks for a minute and calls. The guy in front of me turns over 77 and the big blind has KK. I get knocked out and finish in 16th only paying $222. Is there any other way to play the hand? If it happend again I would do the same thing
You could have just called. If the raise is to 8000 and you call, why would BB put you on a weak hand? You have just called a 7200 raise. I understand that you raised all in to isolate, but, and i know it is a cliche, you will only get called by a better hand.
I think I'd make the laydown with QQ, honestly. It's a tournement, man. You have to stay alive. It's not your job to knock someone out from a comfortable position unless you have KK or AA in my opinion. Heed the advice of Phil Hellmuth, who will tell you to fold those queens pre-flop, or The Fresh Prince, who will tell you that "girls ain't nothing but trouble."-rw marks
Good advice Roger (and Phil, and Will). I know I'd fold jacks after such a huge raise and queens aren't that much better in this situation.

I agree, there's only two to act behind you, the chance of them having a hand is low. On this note, it is arguably not a great move for 2rd in chips to call two all-ins with KK, unless he was quite sure he had you beat.Nothing you can really do though... I think folding is wrong, flat-calling is ok (as a 10x bb raise has already been put in, so the BB and SB are probably already effectively shut out), and raising is not bad either.I don't think you need to worry about the BB making any sort of move on you here. I know if I was BB and someone went all-in in front of me and a guy called him, I'm not going to read the caller as weak and try to push the caller off his hand with any sort of marginal holding when I still have to beat the original bettor.

Guest XXEddie

I dont like it, might seem like hindsight biasIf you call then the chip leader will prob re-raise you which I dont think you could re-raise from his position with less the KK or AA, hand slike TT, JJ, AKs, should really only call that beatI can understand the theory of pushing in there.....but the BB wont call unless he has you beat

Guest XXEddie
I agree, there's only two to act behind you, the chance of them having a hand is low. On this note, it is arguably not a great move for 2rd in chips to call two all-ins with KK, unless he was quite sure he had you beat.Nothing you can really do though... I think folding is wrong, flat-calling is ok (as a 10x bb raise has already been put in, so the BB and SB are probably already effectively shut out), and raising is not bad either.I don't think you need to worry about the BB making any sort of move on you here. I know if I was BB and someone went all-in in front of me and a guy called him, I'm not going to read the caller as weak and try to push the caller off his hand with any sort of marginal holding when I still have to beat the original bettor.
and seriously dudeno one should think a 10xBB call is weak

Folding pocket queens against a player with 10 big blinds is clearly atrocious, so the only choice is to call or raise. Basically, it comes down to this- are you willing to fold if the big stack moves all in?There is a problem here. If the big stack will only get involved with QQ, KK, AA, or AK, there are more AK combinations then the other 3, especially since you have two queens. If you are willing to fold and just call, and he moves all in, you are risking folding to a hand like AK(or JJ or worse if he stinks!) that your all in probably would have pushed out of the pot. Clearly this is not optimal.However, if you think the player will just CALL with AK, and will only reraise a big pair, then calling is correct because you can throw away your hand if he comes over the top. But if this guy would push with AK , I would just move all in from the start because I am playing to win the tournament and am not folding if he moves all in on me when its more likely he has AK then a larger pair.-"Action" Jeff

Folding pocket queens against a player with 10 big blinds is clearly atrocious, so the only choice is to call or raise. Basically, it comes down to this- are you willing to fold if the big stack moves all in?There is a problem here. If the big stack will only get involved with QQ, KK, AA, or AK, there are more AK combinations then the other 3, especially since you have two queens. If you are willing to fold and just call, and he moves all in, you are risking folding to a hand like AK(or JJ or worse if he stinks!) that your all in probably would have pushed out of the pot. Clearly this is not optimal.However, if you think the player will just CALL with AK, and will only reraise a big pair, then calling is correct because you can throw away your hand if he comes over the top. But if this guy would push with AK , I would just move all in from the start because I am playing to win the tournament and am not folding if he moves all in on me when its more likely he has AK then a larger pair.-"Action" Jeff
Jeff, that is bad logic. If you just think he could push in with AA, KK or AK, then AA and KK have about the same prob of AK. That means 50% of the time you are totally dominated and 50% of the time you are about 52% favorite if he doesn't have suited. That means you should call, if he reraises all in it's an easy fold. Especially since you still have 24K in chips left if you fold. And as people have said before, if you go all in, you will only be called by better hands. Since you have QQ, you might want to be called by worse hands as well, which will not be accomplished if you reraise. SO by calling you get a chance to let go of your hand and you let people with JJ TT, AJ etc, still call and check all the way.