Official Toronto Maple Leafs Thread

Amazes me that you are actuLly an adult sometimes. If I didn't know you I would swear you were a middle school girl. Not man enough to put differences aside and converse hockey? Pathetic.

Since I'm man enough to ignore my view of you and stay on subject, is there talk in Toronto about Babcock becoming the next Leafs coach? I don't get to listen to sports radio like I used to but I've heard this rumour locally a few times the last couple weeks. Hate to lose him. He's essentially taken a mediocre team (due to persistent injuries to Pavel, Hank, and Franzen over the years) to the playoffs each year with some post season success. Give him a fairly talented Leafs team and I have no doubt he makes you a contender. You'd be a fool to not want him there. His track record is very good nhl wise an internationally.

Yeah, there's talk. They interviewed him the other night, and he broke down crying talking about being a canadian kid from the prairies. If you think the leafs job isn't appealing to a guy like that, that's hard to imagine.
  • Replies 24k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• serge

• digitalmonkey

• Zach6668

• MapleLeafpoker

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Is it a coincidence that every good team in the league follows the "fancy video game stat Geek" model of thinking? and NHL seasons aren't 68 games long, unfortunately.

I had this thought process of blasting into you, getting all mad and belligerent, and then I realized, whats the point. I don't know you, I don't really know what makes you tick, and at the end of the

I guess I'll disclaim this by saying I'm a huge Sundin fan. He's probably my favourite player of all time.   First: Nobody knows exactly what happened. The Leafs couldn't work out a trade with a pla

Posted Images

Yeah, there's talk. They interviewed him the other night, and he broke down crying talking about being a canadian kid from the prairies. If you think the leafs job isn't appealing to a guy like that, that's hard to imagine.

I recall reading as well that Babcock feels an obligation to the coaching fraternity to maximize his contract. If he isn't the highest paid Coach at the start of next season by a lot it will be surprising since the Leafs should be willing to overpay him big time if he's the guy they want.

All I can say is thank god Serge isn't running the Leafs.

Serge, your continued defensiveness of Carlyle is just strange

I don't think you read my posts.

Not defending Carlyle at all.

If a dman plays like he should get cut from an AA midget team, just because the coach is bad. That's a player I don't want on this team.

random ramblings based on the last couple pages. Don't feel like quoting so I'm going to address things randomly.

1. coaches have a shelf life. Even great coaches sometimes get to a point where they no longer have control of the bench or the respect of the players. If you never hired a coach that had previously "lost his team", you would never be able to find a coach to hire. Sometimes, a team needs a change.

2. The idea that NHL players are all self motivated and be able to play well every single night regardless of the direction they are getting from their coach is idealistic and naive. NHL players are regular human beings who happen to have incredible skill at playing hockey.

3. Randy Carlyle is not a good coach. Randy Carlyle does not have the respect of his players. I don't give a shit if none of the players are playing to their potential. It doesn't excuse Randy Carlyle basic fundamental ineptitude at the thing he is being paid millions of dollars to do.

4. in 99% of cases, coaches are way more easily replaced than good players. It is ludicrous to trade Gardiner and keep Carlyle.

5. Also, writing off Gardiner because of a few shitty giveaways in a game where the entire team played like a bag of shit is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. 1 shitty game (or 5, or 10) doesn't change the fact that he has been our best or second best defenseman over the course of the last 2 years, regardless of Carlyle's opinion of him.

6. Serge, I think you said at one point "Carlyle's hands are tied". ARE YOU KIDDING ME? Gardiner's hands are ****ing tied. Every play he makes is put under a microscope because his dumbass coach makes him a healthy scratch if he percieves him to have a bad game. He's a free skating offensive defenseman who relies on his speed and creativity to make plays. How the F do you think his game is going to be affected when he is terrified to make a mistake because his dinosaur of a coach thinks defenseman should never leave their own zone?

7. Randy Carlyle is the worst thing to happen to this team in the last 5 years. The sooner the Leafs brass figures that out, the better.

• Like 2

I agree with 1 , 4, 5 and 6

I am actually in favour of firing Carlyle..For a few of the reasons you have mentioned...I dont agree that he is the worst coach ever like you say..He is a very good coach that s shelf life has expired..

He is definetely better than Ron Wilson IMO..

Coaches get fired and they are immediately hired, sometimes by the same team that fired them..See Paul Maurice...

This is a coach with 346 NHL wins. Coach that is in his 11th year of coaching and has missed the playoffs 3 times and has a Stanley cup ring..

He DEFINETELY needs to be fired, but giving the players a free pass isnt something I agree with..

If Babcock, Bylsma or Al Arbour comes in tomorrow are the players immediately going to transform into players that give it 100 percent every game? If thats the case the players need to be accountable.

The systems might not work, the X and O s might be outdated...But skating, and old fashioned passion for the game has to come from within, to a certain extent...

The main thing that he hasnt been fired yet, is because who is going to replace him? Babcock? even yes, he is under contract still...Bylsma? He got fired from the underachieving Penguins(if you can call them that)

An AHL coach with no experience? Another retread?

That is the question that Nonis and Shanahan have to deal with, IMO..

With regards to every play being under the microscope, that applies to all players that play for the Leafs..This is why a lot of players dont come here, and those that do, lot of them cant handle it.

• Like 1

I think when the Leafs fire Carlyle this year they will name somebody from within the organization an interim coach for the rest of the season to keep their options for the future open.

This is what I want from a team that embarrassed their fan base on Saturday night:

retweeted

Peterborough-Edit_bigger.jpg

Joffrey Lupul says he wanted to go out and watch football Sunday, but chose not to after Saturday's poor
performance.

I agree the players need to be accountable. But first, Carlyle needs to go. If the same problems persist with the same players but with a different coach, then we can start to consider whether the players may be a problem.

I agree the players need to be accountable. But first, Carlyle needs to go. If the same problems persist with the same players but with a different coach, then we can start to consider whether the players may be a problem.

my memory is hazy, but wasn't this also an issue with Wilson?

(not suggesting I think Carlyle is good/bad, I dont know, other than I think he isnt helping the devlpmnt of guys like Gardiner/Kadri)

In hindsight, I think Ron WIlson was probably a bit unfairly criticized.

The special teams were pretty abysmal under Wilson, which he has to take some of the blame for, but in reality, he got us to 9th/10th place each year with the worst goaltending in the NHL. If you replace Toskala/Gustavsson with Reimer/Bernier, Wilson's teams would have made the playoffs 3 times and his "legacy" in toronto would be viewed a lot differently than it is today.

I recall several spots like this one tonight where you expect Leafs to hammer the team and they get smoked.

It's happened a lot in recent memory. Like a 5-2 Sabres win. It always seems to be. Tuesday night.

I hope I'm wrong.

(Reverse Serge Jinx in play, make the final 6-1 toronto. )

With all due respect this does not make you a REAL fan....80 to 90% of the people that follow the Leafs are not real fans....I support every decision that the club makes 100% as I know its in the best interest of the club...If your sister or brother does something bad do you disown them??if your son or daughter doesnt perform well at school or their job, do you stop supporting them...NO....I am a leafs fan since the day I arrived in Toronto May 14, 1980...27 years and counting..I will ALWAYS support them with unconditional love and admiration...Thats what a REAL fan is....If that makes me sound delusional or dumb, I dont care...I love the Toronto Maple Leafs and I enjoy every minute. I will watch all the games, buy all the merchandise and go to a few games a year...I am proud to say that my favourite team is the Toronto Maple Leafs, the greatest franchise in pro sports.

Greatest post in the thread

Sorry. In my mind, Randy Carlyle Does not equal the Toronto Maple Leafs. Dave Nonis does not equal the Toronto Maple Leafs. The Toronto Maple Leafs are about the logo on the jersey, and the team on the ice, and the Legacy of the organization, and most importantly, Leafs Nation. If somebody is taking actions or making decisions that is ruining the product on the ice, then they are the enemy of the Toronto Maple Leafs in my eyes, and I'm sure as hell not going to blindly accept everything that they do. That is NOT the sign of a true fan.

Throwing jerseys on the ice and booing players are not actions of true fans. They stick their platinums up their ass

Throwing jerseys on the ice and booing players are not actions of true fans. They stick their platinums up their ass

The platinums are too apathetic or already gone to boo. The booing comes from your so-called 'real fans' in the upper bowl.

The platinums are too apathetic or already gone to boo. The booing comes from your so-called 'real fans' in the upper bowl.

Not real fans. Real fans are few.

Do they their boo their kid after a C on report card.

fwiw, in my opinion, if you throw your jersey on the ice, you are rescinding your fandom. whatever, if you hit your breaking point, and you're done as a fan, I don't care, see ya later. But there's no coming back from that. If you go out the next day, or week, or month, and buy another Jersey, you are a hypocrite.

I agree with Serge that a real fan sticks with his team through thick and thin. That is not the same as blindly accepting whatever crap the organization throws at you though.

• Like 1

fwiw, in my opinion, if you throw your jersey on the ice, you are rescinding your fandom. whatever, if you hit your breaking point, and you're done as a fan, I don't care, see ya later. But there's no coming back from that. If you go out the next day, or week, or month, and buy another Jersey, you are a hypocrite.

I agree with Serge that a real fan sticks with his team through thick and thin. That is not the same as blindly accepting whatever crap the organization throws at you though.

I'm cool with this. Leafs nation lives