Official Toronto Maple Leafs Thread

I thought you guys were struggling more lately, thought I saw you fall into 8th/9th, but I see you're still 6th, only a few points behind the Pens.I think the PK is a huge function of the coaching staff (not JUST Wilson), but that really needs to be addressed. It's insanely bad again this year. It's 73.5%. Imagine if your team had a 26.5% power play? That's basically unheard of. That's how bad the PK is in Toronto, unfortunately. PK is all about how the players are coached, IMHO. I guess some of it is on Burke, because outside of Steckel, there really aren't any notable PKers here, but 4 NHL players should still have a better PK% than 73.5.You're right about money not being an issue with Wilson, but does that mean the Leafs will fire him after failing to make the playoffs this year (hypothetically) even before his new extension starts? Why is he such a good coach if he's missing the playoffs again? (Again, all hypothetical, as I think they have a far better chance of getting in than they do of missing.)Also, I can get behind Wilson being a funny guy with a dry sense of humour, but that's not mutually exclusive from being a complete *******. I don't know him well enough to say he's a "great guy".And yeah, dunno who would be better out there, as I said before, no idea which coach is right for any team before they actually start coaching there, but I just don't know if Wilson's the right guy in Toronto. I just don't really know why.

• Replies 24k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• serge

• digitalmonkey

• Zach6668

• MapleLeafpoker

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Is it a coincidence that every good team in the league follows the "fancy video game stat Geek" model of thinking? and NHL seasons aren't 68 games long, unfortunately.

I had this thought process of blasting into you, getting all mad and belligerent, and then I realized, whats the point. I don't know you, I don't really know what makes you tick, and at the end of the

I guess I'll disclaim this by saying I'm a huge Sundin fan. He's probably my favourite player of all time.   First: Nobody knows exactly what happened. The Leafs couldn't work out a trade with a pla

Posted Images

I thought you guys were struggling more lately, thought I saw you fall into 8th/9th, but I see you're still 6th, only a few points behind the Pens. I think the PK is a huge function of the coaching staff (not JUST Wilson), but that really needs to be addressed. It's insanely bad again this year. It's 73.5%. Imagine if your team had a 26.5% power play? That's basically unheard of. That's how bad the PK is in Toronto, unfortunately. PK is all about how the players are coached, IMHO. I guess some of it is on Burke, because outside of Steckel, there really aren't any notable PKers here, but 4 NHL players should still have a better PK% than 73.5.You're right about money not being an issue with Wilson, but does that mean the Leafs will fire him after failing to make the playoffs this year (hypothetically) even before his new extension starts? Why is he such a good coach if he's missing the playoffs again? (Again, all hypothetical, as I think they have a far better chance of getting in than they do of missing.)Also, I can get behind Wilson being a funny guy with a dry sense of humour, but that's not mutually exclusive from being a complete *******. I don't know him well enough to say he's a "great guy". And yeah, dunno who would be better out there, as I said before, no idea which coach is right for any team before they actually start coaching there, but I just don't know if Wilson's the right guy in Toronto. I just don't really know why.
But its been bad before Wilson and before ALL these players were here.Our PP is now world class and is 3rd in the league..Sure its good to have a good PK..But the best team in the NHL right now, the Chicago Black Hawks have 27th worst PK in the league. The San Jose Sharks, another team that is good is 29th...Should we fire Joel Quenneville??The Stanley Cup Champs from last year were 18th in NHL in PK %...Sure its important, but its overplayed..I think the main reason of our PK has been spotty goaltending..The last few games it has been better with the great play of Reimer..It will be ok..I think if you have a bad PK AND a bad PP then you are ****ed.
That's fair, and they say your best PKer has to be your goalie.
I watch a lot of the games and i would say a lot has to do with goaltending and inexperience...
I talked to an agent monday after the game... the leafs are shopping Kadri all over the league...
Im really curious as to why this is..Unless they really hate the kid and want to get rid of him..Im really not sure what the Leafs would acquire for Kadri that would improve the team..Another dman? I dont think we need one at this stage..Another top 6 player? I dont think they can upgrade..A goalie? No.A veteran presence to help them in the playoffs? Sure but its too early for that.I know as stupid as it sounds the Leafs making a trade right now doesnt make sense..Unless the player coming back is Jonathan Toews, Eric Staal or a Sedin...And those trades just dont happen...
Im really curious as to why this is..Unless they really hate the kid and want to get rid of him..Im really not sure what the Leafs would acquire for Kadri that would improve the team..Another dman? I dont think we need one at this stage..Another top 6 player? I dont think they can upgrade..A goalie? No.A veteran presence to help them in the playoffs? Sure but its too early for that.I know as stupid as it sounds the Leafs making a trade right now doesnt make sense..Unless the player coming back is Jonathan Toews, Eric Staal or a Sedin...And those trades just dont happen...
The only thing I was told was that they didn't like his attitude and level of compete... IMO, I think that he has the skill to be a top six player, but not the competitiveness. Look at the last couple of games: he comes back up, he plays great, scores, moves the puck well and then... in the second period the Islanders started putting him on his ass every time he touched the puck and he disappeared completely. He definately has the skill... puts me in mind of Kyle Wellwood, in some ways..

Looks like it's just a one-year extension, so they won't have an issue canning him if the team collapses. I'd like to see the Leafs in the playoffs, however (as long as it's not at the expense of the Penguins.)

The only thing I was told was that they didn't like his attitude and level of compete... IMO, I think that he has the skill to be a top six player, but not the competitiveness. Look at the last couple of games: he comes back up, he plays great, scores, moves the puck well and then... in the second period the Islanders started putting him on his ass every time he touched the puck and he disappeared completely. He definately has the skill... puts me in mind of Kyle Wellwood, in some ways..
I dont disagree with you..I just get this feeling the Leafs arent very high on him..They called up a lot of guys ahead of him, and seems like they only called him because they had to do to injuries.He has some flashes of greatness and looks amazing with Connolly out there, but then you are right he disappears.
I would be curious to see the PK% with Reimer in net, and the PK% with the other goalies in net. Is there a way to find that stat?
Good question, I would think it would have to be better....Im in hunt of that info..
Serge+Leafs: Spreading hate and bitterness at Christmas.
Where is the hate?Take a look at the situation closely, the hate comes SOLELY from the media..They are the source for all the problems..

fwiw, I think its pretty great that Burke sticks with who he thinks is the best coach for this team, no matter the conventional "fire the coach cause the team is losing" mentality of sports. Just like the Kessel deal, he is going against popular opinion to do what he think is best, and is willing to bite the bullet for it.And since its just a 1yr extension, doesnt seem like hes sticking his neck out too far. A summer change if they dont make the playoffs wouldnt shock me.That said, Wilson comes off as a class A jerk, full of anger+hate+bitterness, and I dont like people like that. I dont know if he's a great coach though, but nothing in his resume tells me that he is.

Lets see, Ron Wilson's resume:619 wins lifetime...7th in NHL history, about to become 6th.Most wins by an active NHL coach.Sure you will argue he hasnt won a Cup..Oh well...Again you are totally off about the full of anger , hate and bitterness...Sure he seems that way from the sound bites you are fed by the media..He is actually very funny and witty...But thats a persona that has been created..Again I will direct you to guys like Steve Simmons and Damien Cox if you like to see anger, hate and bitterness.Its pretty obvious that its the Leafs vs the media and the Leafs are winning...The fans of the team are now actually realizing this and they are on the side of team.

Lets see, Ron Wilson's resume:619 wins lifetime...7th in NHL history, about to become 6th.Most wins by an active NHL coach.Sure you will argue he hasnt won a Cup..Oh well...Again you are totally off about the full of anger , hate and bitterness...Sure he seems that way from the sound bites you are fed by the media..He is actually very funny and witty...But thats a persona that has been created..Again I will direct you to guys like Steve Simmons and Damien Cox if you like to see anger, hate and bitterness.Its pretty obvious that its the Leafs vs the media and the Leafs are winning...The fans of the team are now actually realizing this and they are on the side of team.
Where is he on the lifetime losses list ?

re: Ron Wilson. I'm with Zach on this one. I thought it was weird timing for an extension. I'm ok with one year though I guess. If the Leafs miss the playoffs I'd expect him to be fired in the off season.

re: Ron Wilson. I'm with Zach on this one. I thought it was weird timing for an extension. I'm ok with one year though I guess. If the Leafs miss the playoffs I'd expect him to be fired in the off season.
I'm not a huge Wilson fan but it makes sense in a way to give him the one year extension. If the team doesn't perform get rid of him in the off season.

Its apparently 2 years. Also, Wilson only had a winning record with San Jose, when he inherited a very good team and couldnt get them through any playoff rounds...

Agreed, but having > 1000 games coached is an accomplishment in and of itself, as several different GMs have hired and kept him for an extended period of time. Any Coach with over 1000 games coached is going to be close to the top of the all time wins and all time losses category.

Agreed, but having > 1000 games coached is an accomplishment in and of itself, as several different GMs have hired and kept him for an extended period of time. Any Coach with over 1000 games coached is going to be close to the top of the all time wins and all time losses category.
That is why I look more towards win %. I don't think a 600-550 coach can be deemed "one of the best NHL coaches ever". But 1200 - 550 looks more suited for that billing. Wilson is serviceable. Not great.