Aq, Ugly River

Two limpers to me one off the button with AQ off. Raised it up small, tried to keep the pot small on the flop. Bet out on the turn, and was pushed into when the flush and straight got there. Full Tilt Poker Game #3463923954: The Fifty-Fifty (25994325), Table 83 - 20/40 - No Limit Hold'em - 21:58:16 ET - 2007/09/04Seat 1: texlot545 (1,815)Seat 2: mamba213 (1,341)Seat 3: mikecjd (1,730)Seat 4: kleinstein000 (3,115)Seat 5: VandyGuy19 (3,010)Seat 6: BallinAcesNAGer (4,674)Seat 7: Cancer (2,335)Seat 8: BETTERLOOKIN (3,330)Seat 9: shelbywood (2,060)kleinstein000 posts the small blind of 20VandyGuy19 posts the big blind of 40The button is in seat #3*** HOLE CARDS ***Dealt to mamba213 [Qh Ac]BallinAcesNAGer calls 40Cancer foldsBETTERLOOKIN calls 40shelbywood foldstexlot545 foldsmamba213 raises to 129mikecjd has 15 seconds left to actmikecjd calls 129kleinstein000 foldsVandyGuy19 foldsBallinAcesNAGer calls 89BETTERLOOKIN calls 89*** FLOP *** [Ad 4h 8c]BallinAcesNAGer checksBETTERLOOKIN checksmamba213 checks (checked because my hand isn't that strong and there were 3 others to the flop...also, no draws were out there that could hurt me. either way ahead or way behind.)mikecjd checks*** TURN *** [Ad 4h 8c] [2h]BallinAcesNAGer checksBETTERLOOKIN checksmamba213 has 15 seconds left to actmamba213 bets 300 (a monster isn't checking it to me twice, wasn't that concerned about the button. flush draw just dropped, so I bet out 300 into 580ish pot)mikecjd foldsBallinAcesNAGer foldsBETTERLOOKIN calls 300*** RIVER *** [Ad 4h 8c 2h] [5h]BETTERLOOKIN bets 2,901, and is all inmamba213 has 15 seconds left to act have only played a round or two with this guy, he hasn't done anything out of line yet. he doubled up with a set vs. two pair, played it aggressively. mamba213????

I hate when peopel do stupid crap like that. It's designed to look like a bluff, but overbets and potsize bets on the river are always monsters. No reason to go broke here with just one pair. Let it go and wait.

even though you are scared of your hand on the flop, checking gives you no information. You need to find out if your AQ is good here. Always bet. When you raise pf just because people call you doesn't mean they are calling you with better hands than you. They are just calling with "callable" hands.

With two limpers I probably raise it up a little more preflop, say 160 or so. I'm def betting flop, we are getting called by Axs AJ AT ect. As played fold to the river bet, you're beating nothing.And not to be a forum nazi or anything but convert your hands. So hard to read as is and you'll get a much better response when your hands are converted.

Checking the flop is ok, you will keep the pot small, find the same amount of information you would by betting, and set yourself to get paid off later in the hand because it will be harder to put you on a hand when you check the street you made your hand on.

Checking the flop is ok, you will keep the pot small, find the same amount of information you would by betting, and set yourself to get paid off later in the hand because it will be harder to put you on a hand when you check the street you made your hand on.
No its not..Why do we want to keep the pot small? What are we hoping to flop with AQ when we raise preflop...We NEED to bet here..Also Loxo is right..raise more preflop and try to narrow the field
I hate when peopel do stupid crap like that. It's designed to look like a bluff, but overbets and potsize bets on the river are always monsters. No reason to go broke here with just one pair. Let it go and wait.
I'm not liking the check on the flop, although I don't think it's quite as bad as some people might think, I woulda have to say bet. Not only do you have a strong hand that should be bet for value against a weaker ace, but you can use the bet to narrow the field and gain infomration on anyone that may call you. The hand will be much easier to play with less players and will be even easier if everybody folds. As for the river, I'm laying that down in a heartbeat. What NEtwow says is right, so many people make these big bets to look like a bluff. The fact is, if it is a bluff, he'll lose all his chips sooner or later, and if it isn't a bluff (which it probably isn't), then you're making the right fold. Like I said, though, bet the flop to narrow the field, no reason to give a bunch of hands more chances ot beat you. Any hand that you beat on the flop probably leaves you well ahead, but if there are enough hands up against you there are a lot of things that can go wrong.

Thanks for the responses guys - next time I will convert the hand. I bet out at the flop about 85-90% of the time in these spots usually, but I thought that with the size of the pot already at 580, if I bet the flop (350) and the turn, I would essentially be playing for my stack(1350 to start). As the blinds were still relatively low, I opted to try to keep the pot small by checking the flop. I probably should have raised a little more pre-flop (160ish). As it was, on the turn I bet 300 into 580, giving the caller a little less than 3:1, less than the 4:1 he needed if he was on a flush draw. You guys are saying you like a larger bet - 400? It seems everybody agrees that the river fold was pretty obvious, and that's what I did. Just wondering if anybody somehow found a call.

When you bet the flop, you make it obvious you hit your ace. You're not getting called by a worse hand ever, except maybe A 10 or AJ. Checking disguises it up a little better.
I don't think this is true, people limp A rag all the time esp suited and get help themselves but call when the A flops.