I'm confused, didn't Emery already turn down a contract offer from the Sens for an average of $4million per season? Now he signs for an annual average of $3.16million?Either I misread an article somewhere, or something very strange happened here. Anyway, Ray Emery remains a Senator for well less than his market value. Nice work Brian Murray.

Anyway, Ray Emery remains a Senator for well less than his market value.
Depends on who you use as comparables; but I must admit it is nice to be in a city players are trying to come to / stay. I'd say Miller & Ward @ 2.66 per is closer to his market value than Lundqvist at $4.25
I'm confused, didn't Emery already turn down a contract offer from the Sens for an average of $4million per season? Now he signs for an annual average of $3.16million?Either I misread an article somewhere, or something very strange happened here. Anyway, Ray Emery remains a Senator for well less than his market value. Nice work Brian Murray.
That's not below market value. It's his second contract and only in the league 2 years with lots to prove yet. Remember Brian Boucher in Philly had a great playoff run got a big contract then they found out he couldn't stop pucks consistently.

They overpaid for Emery. However, they knew that going into arbitration they were definitively going to lose, since his stats are almost IDENTICAL to Lundquist, leaving them with no prayer. That being said.... I still don't think he's going to be a good starter. He has weak spots....

I dunno, you'll all have a hard time selling me on Emery being less of a goaltender than half the guys in the league that are making more coin than he is, up to and including his own backup Martin Gerber. People like to point to Ryan Miller as an contemporary, but if the Sabres had to sign him this year he'd be getting a hell of a lot more $$$ than his current deal calls for. Looking at the alternatives, I don't believe they overpaid for Emery at all. Like Gruven said, if this case had gone to arbitration they would have been raked over the coals and served with jambalaya sauce.Dan Cloutier and Marc Denis will make more money this year than Ray Emery, that's really all I need to say.

I dunno, you'll all have a hard time selling me on Emery being less of a goaltender than half the guys in the league that are making more coin than he is, up to and including his own backup Martin Gerber. People like to point to Ryan Miller as an contemporary, but if the Sabres had to sign him this year he'd be getting a hell of a lot more $$$ than his current deal calls for. Looking at the alternatives, I don't believe they overpaid for Emery at all. Like Gruven said, if this case had gone to arbitration they would have been raked over the coals and served with jambalaya sauce.Dan Cloutier and Marc Denis will make more money this year than Ray Emery, that's really all I need to say.
Cloutier and Denis are definitely overpaid and I think over time we MAY come to the same conclusion on Emery. I'm not sold on him yet but I consider him better than Gerber who I felt was overpaid & over-rated when they got him last summer.

Andrew Raycroft is ridiculously over paid, the leafs signed him to a 3 year deal worth over 6 million total for a guy who was 3rd string on Boston (yes, behind even Tim Thomas) and coming off a horrible year.More great general managing by John Ferguson Jr.Emery got about what he deserved. He's not a top flight starter but he has been very good for Ottawa for two seasons and did get to the Stanley Cup finals, you know he was going to get at least that much money in arbitration, at least this way the Sens knew exactly how much he was going to make and got him locked up for 3 years.

Any truth to the rumor that Coke was found in his car when he got in the accident trying to catch the plane during the playoffs?
Any truth to the rumor that Coke was found in his car when he got in the accident trying to catch the plane during the playoffs?
I heard it was Pepsi.
One guy I know told me one of his buddies sold some blow to Heatley, so I wouldn't be surprised if each one of Heatley, Spezza, Emery and McGrattan do enjoy partying with the white stuff. So what, I don't see it as having an impact on their on-ice performances, they can do whatever they want on their off-days...Emery might still have a few flaws in his game, but he's now a legitimate #1 goalie in this league. The Sens were hands down the best team in the East from January on, and Emery was rock solid. My only knock on him was his performance in the SCF, but we were badly outplayed anyway so his play wasn't really what made the difference in the end.I had him pencilled in at 4M$, so that's a huge 800K$ saved towards the cap imo. I'm quite happy. GG Murray.
One guy I know told me one of his buddies sold some blow to Heatley, so I wouldn't be surprised if each one of Heatley, Spezza, Emery and McGrattan do enjoy partying with the white stuff. So what, I don't see it as having an impact on their on-ice performances, they can do whatever they want on their off-days...Emery might still have a few flaws in his game, but he's now a legitimate #1 goalie in this league. The Sens were hands down the best team in the East from January on, and Emery was rock solid. My only knock on him was his performance in the SCF, but we were badly outplayed anyway so his play wasn't really what made the difference in the end.I had him pencilled in at 4M$, so that's a huge 800K$ saved towards the cap imo. I'm quite happy. GG Murray.
Yeah, dogfighting and slaughtering dogs didn't seem to affect Vick's game either so the NFL should be okay with that too.
Yeah, dogfighting and slaughtering dogs didn't seem to affect Vick's game either so the NFL should be okay with that too.
OuchIt wouldn't suprise me if that group of Sens did drugs. If you've ever seen the episode of Cabbie on the Score where he interviews them at some sort of party Spezza is definently on something.
Yeah, ok, I get your point. Now, what I want to know is what you'd throw out as an even money over/under for the number of NHL'ers who snorted blow at least once last season.obv, this is going nowhere, we'll never know the truth of it, but I think coke is fairly widespread in pro athletes. Just my humble opinion though...
Yeah, ok, I get your point. Now, what I want to know is what you'd throw out as an even money over/under for the number of NHL'ers who snorted blow at least once last season.obv, this is going nowhere, we'll never know the truth of it, but I think coke is fairly widespread in pro athletes. Just my humble opinion though...
Are you kidding me...SO WHAT if they do cocaine..and they can do whatever they want on their off days???You must be on coke as well....If something like this ever got out it would be the end of a few careers.
Are you kidding me...SO WHAT if they do cocaine..and they can do whatever they want on their off days???You must be on coke as well....If something like this ever got out it would be the end of a few careers.
Yeah, we're saying the same thing. So what if they do cocaine.I'm very surprised with the 6.5 o/u. I honestly would have put it at about 3 per team, so 100ish.
Yeah, we're saying the same thing. So what if they do cocaine.I'm very surprised with the 6.5 o/u. I honestly would have put it at about 3 per team, so 100ish.
I believe Serge was disagreeing with you.
Anyone who plays for the Sens is a bad person.
I totally agree...I am willing to bet anyone even money the Leafs will finish ahead of the Senators this year
I believe Serge was disagreeing with you.
Ok, true, he was. I'll really try to watch my words here cause I'm know some people will strongly disagree with me, but here goes.Recreational drug use is widespread in pro sports, occasional marijuana consumption would have very high figures in the NFL and NBA imho. Guys get high on the road and some of the times when they might party the night before a day off. Now the question is how many NHL players have had cocain at least once at some time during the season, in a span of 8 months. These are people with loads of cash and also lots of time away from the public eye. Is 6.5 out of 700+ guys, many that are single, most in their early 20s and earning more than 1/2 a mill a year a reasonable estimate ? I think the real number is closer to 100 than 6.5.I should probably be policed by the mods for writing this kind of stuff, but I'm kind of wondering out loud, sorry guys if this is out of line...I might really be sooooo wrong, I don't know...