Fulltime Player Bankroll Questions

I'm looking for answers from some of our guys who have played fulltime as their only income.For example sake, lets say you play 2-5NL with a BR of 20k.Now you decide that you want to play fulltime 5 days a week, and use poker as your monthly income.do you try and grind out XXX amount of dollars a month every month? do you set yourself a income lets say 3k salary a month, and if you make 2k that month because of a bad run, do you take 1k from the roll?Or do you keep your 20k in one account, and have a 2nd account for winnings, and just build that winnings up as much as possible and use it for living? and only use your BR for swings?

personally i use the second idea... 15% of my winnings bank goes into savings account about 3-4 times a year... i try to keep above 20k in my playing account and at least 30k in my winnings... anytime winnings gets over 35k the extra goes into savings if i get too low on playing i will dip into my winnings to replenish

personally i use the second idea... 15% of my winnings bank goes into savings account about 3-4 times a year... i try to keep above 20k in my playing account and at least 30k in my winnings... anytime winnings gets over 35k the extra goes into savings if i get too low on playing i will dip into my winnings to replenish
cool. you been a member here for 10 months and now make a postI'm honored.thanks for the reply.what games and stakes do you play?

i payed bills with only poker money for a few months. what i did was pay myself a salary out of my roll which was a little less than what i guessed my hourly win rate * hours played was. close margins and poor playing due to getting stressed made me run out and get a job. you're an experienced player so you probably know this already, but even playing like 20,000 hands a month its not unreasonable to have a losing month. if i was to try to do it again and i figured my living expenses to be $1500 a month i'd want to have like $18,000 set aside beyond my playing bankroll. what i wouldn't do is set goals each month concerning how much i had to make. have enough so you can get by for a while no matter what and let poker take care of itself.

the way i look at it i'm more tolerable than a newbie spammer trying to raise my post counthaha but to the point i play mostly 100$ sng's and mtt's... never really have success playing tables but sometimes ill sit down at a 1-2 nl when im just looking for something different... that way i dont donk off too much money

I personally do a combination of both of those techniques. I have one account that use as my bankroll account and another account to track profit. What I do is I set a daily limit of how much I can spend to buy in on a 1-2/nl....which is usually $400 a day. If I lost that...then I get up and come back another day. If I win...I do the same thing, except the profit goes inot the other account. So every 3 months or so, I tkae money from the profit account to make up for the losses and the difference in the profit account is my overall winnings for the quarter. The profit account is usually 4 times the amount of the bankroll account.

For this really not to be a problem you should be making enough that it doesn't make sense not to be a professional. If you have a 20k roll and no living expenses (not saying that is the case) you are screwed. I live very modestly and do not play professionaly but if/when I do I think my costs would be about 2k/month for car/car insurance/apt/food/entertainment. I'd want 6 months covered before going pro. So I'd have my 20k roll, +12k untouched. I would have no money goal per month and only an hours goal, probably in the 200 range. Also, it's much easier to make a living playing 5-10nl than 2-5 so I would be very concerned with increasing my bankroll. I'd try to take 3k/month toward the 12k untouched and if I had a 3 month downswing early I would have to reevaluate my decision. The thing with poker is you really are never overrolled. There is so much that can go wrong that makes playing professionaly such a drag. Many people have said it before and I agree, the happiest poker players are the ones who play competitively and supplement their income not playing for their bills.

I have a friend whos friends goal is to make 3k a week, once he hits 3k he dosnt play anymore, if he loses 3k he is down for the week and tries to make double that the next week without going ahead in the stakes. IDK what his br is but he makes a steady income from cash games.Id say the needed roll to play professionally including living expenses at a minimum is what you expect to make in a year. So lets use 40k for example. Half is in the bank for bills, the other half for playing, 20 grand should be enough to last a single person throughout the year to start and it only grows from there the more you make

I'm looking for answers from some of our guys who have played fulltime as their only income.For example sake, lets say you play 2-5NL with a BR of 20k.Now you decide that you want to play fulltime 5 days a week, and use poker as your monthly income.do you try and grind out XXX amount of dollars a month every month? do you set yourself a income lets say 3k salary a month, and if you make 2k that month because of a bad run, do you take 1k from the roll?Or do you keep your 20k in one account, and have a 2nd account for winnings, and just build that winnings up as much as possible and use it for living? and only use your BR for swings?
Never touch / always replace the $20K, it's your working capital. When you hit the $3K goal each month, everything else goes into the "bad run" fund. When you have 4-6 months of "bad run" fund in the bank, then you can start keeping the gravy above $3K each month.I'm no genius, but that is the simple version of how I would approach it.

Personally, I have about 1/3 of my cash online, maybe a little less, and I have the other 2/3 invested and a few g's for spending set aside. I only cash out when my spending money runs out to replenish it. I don't give myself a monthly cheque, I keep track of my wins/losses on excel and try to reach goals. Unless your whole bankroll is all the cash you have, you shouldn't have trouble with this. But then of course, I don't have expenses because I still live at home and so i don't have regular bills i have to pay etc.