Famous Christian Poker Players?

I'm curious of who out of the "name" poker players, who claims to be a Christian. We know Daniel does. Doyle, in his book, 'Supersystem' claims to have been healed of terminal cancer by a pastor/church who prayed for him. In fact, it was after this that he decided to play poker full time deciding life is too short to not do what you love.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know there are a good amount of Jewish players out there,Barry Greenstein, Matusow, Eli ElezraEven though I know that doesnt answer the question

I'm curious of who out of the "name" poker players, who claims to be a Christian. We know Daniel does. Doyle, in his book, 'Supersystem' claims to have been healed of terminal cancer by a pastor/church who prayed for him. In fact, it was after this that he decided to play poker full time deciding life is too short to not do what you love.
I am sure many ARE Christian. Why is their religion relevant?I believe that Barry Greenstein "claims" to be Jewish...
I know there are a good amount of Jewish players out there,Barry Greenstein, Matusow, Eli ElezraEven though I know that doesnt answer the question
Barry and Chris Ferguson are both atheists.
hey, chuck norris is christian, is he a poker player? :club:
You know how certain poker hands have nicknames? Well, no matter what hand Chuck Norris has, it's called the "Chuck Norris" and it wins every time.Doyle Brunson and Chuck Norris in a hand.Doyle Brunson has 10-2. The flop comes 10-10-2. All the money goes in.The final board is 10-10-2-A-10, to give Doyle quads.Chuck Norris turns over 5-9.Chuck Norris Wins!Phil Hellmuth raises to $250 on the button.Huck Seed calls from the Small BlindChuck Norris folds the BB.After a flop of A-A-K, Phil checks.Huck goes all in and Phil calls.Huck shows K-K.Phil flips over A-A.Final board is A-A-K-9-7Huck has Kings full of AcesPhil has Quad AcesChuck Norris wins!
good article. had no idea some of these players were jewish."There are top-notch players with names like Berman, Fischman, Heimowitz, Oppenheim, Seidel, Gold, Levi, Sklansky and so on, which begs the question: What other regularly telecast sporting competition has such a strong Jewish presence?"
Quote from the article:And like more than a few of the big names of the poker world, Greenstein is Jewish. Actually, he says that he's "of Jewish heritage" and is aware of the traditions, but that he doesn't "practice the religion." Still, he acknowledges that "the morals and ethics of Judaism are a part of me." Is his giving so much to the needy an example of that?
Quote from the article:And like more than a few of the big names of the poker world, Greenstein is Jewish. Actually, he says that he's "of Jewish heritage" and is aware of the traditions, but that he doesn't "practice the religion." Still, he acknowledges that "the morals and ethics of Judaism are a part of me." Is his giving so much to the needy an example of that?
Oh, well, gee, if Daniel says in an on-line posting that Barry is Athiest, then he MUST be.
Also from the article:"It's a mitzvah," he said. "It makes me happy to have the opportunity to do the right thing." ...someone who says that "the morals and ethics of Judaism are a part of me." doesn't sound like a "devoted athiest" to me......or perhaps Barry was just having some fun at the expense of Mr Loiderman from the Jewish Journal and all of the listings of famous Jewish Americans that include Barry.
You know how certain poker hands have nicknames? Well, no matter what hand Chuck Norris has, it's called the "Chuck Norris" and it wins every time.Doyle Brunson and Chuck Norris in a hand.Doyle Brunson has 10-2. The flop comes 10-10-2. All the money goes in.The final board is 10-10-2-A-10, to give Doyle quads.Chuck Norris turns over 5-9.Chuck Norris Wins!Phil Hellmuth raises to $250 on the button.Huck Seed calls from the Small BlindChuck Norris folds the BB.After a flop of A-A-K, Phil checks.Huck goes all in and Phil calls.Huck shows K-K.Phil flips over A-A.Final board is A-A-K-9-7Huck has Kings full of AcesPhil has Quad AcesChuck Norris wins!
:club::D:D
Oh, well, gee, if Daniel says in an on-line posting that Barry is Athiest, then he MUST be.
Yeah, why would I ever believe a guy who spends 20-30 hours a week with Barry on a regular basis over a person who probably did a phone interview that lasted 20 minutes?Sheesh.
I am sure many ARE Christian. Why is their religion relevant?I believe that Barry Greenstein "claims" to be Jewish...
The same way the question: "What famous poker players are from Canada?" is relevant. Mark
Also from the article:"It's a mitzvah," he said. "It makes me happy to have the opportunity to do the right thing." ...someone who says that "the morals and ethics of Judaism are a part of me." doesn't sound like a "devoted athiest" to me...
Oooh...he used the word mitzvah...he must believe in the old testament! Why would he be clear to separate the morals and ethics of Judaism out when talking about himself regarding Judaism? That's pretty much exactly what I said to the Catholic priest who married me and my ex-wife to mollify him in our pre-wedding meeting, substituting Christianity for Judasim. What's wrong with the morals and ethics of Judaism being consistent with Atheism? I'm pretty strongly in agreement with Christian morality, and I'm a devoted atheist. Jesus had some pretty good ideas on how we should treat one another whether there is a God or not. I don't know much about Judaism, but it does seem to have a lot of positives that could appeal to a kind-hearted atheist.In the end it doesn't matter much if he's a Jewish, Atheist, or Scientologist. I thought it was a fairly well known fact that BG was an Atheist. I can't find a source for it.
Barry and Chris Ferguson are both atheists.
I think Barry is a non-pracising Jew or an atheist with Jewish values, summin like that.It depends if you are talking about practising christians, or born christians
Yeah, why would I ever believe a guy who spends 20-30 hours a week with Barry on a regular basis over a person who probably did a phone interview that lasted 20 minutes?Sheesh.
I think you're missing the fact that a lot of people consider themselves jewish culturally without practicing the religion. It's a legit possibility that Barry G considers himself to be a jew without believing in god.