Ok i think this is a really bad hand for me right now. I tend to mainly play SnGs or MTTs now (NLHE) and when i get ak i raise 3-4x the bb if im first in the pot, reraise anyone else whose raised, and if raised after i raise, i reraise/put them allin. If the money goes in preflop, im ok with that.However, i seem to have problems when i get one caller, and the flop comes rags. I usually bet out about half the pot, but so many times im either getting raised, or called. When im called i tend to check the turn and then get scared out of the hand by a bet.How should i play AK when i don't hit the flop? Is it too inviting for people to steal if i check, or do i have to bet out something to see where i am?

If you check a ragged flop, you've basically announced I have big slick, in my opinion, or some other strong aceBetting out half the pot is right, but you have to dump to a raise.AK is easily the most difficult hand to play in poker.

I do the best I can to make sure that all the chips don't go all in preflop. Raising is correct, and a small reraise is usually correct. Obviously it depends on chip stacks, but I don't like to get TOO much invested in the hand preflop. I would rather save my money for situations where I'm decidedly ahead, rather than a coin flip, which is the most likely result. You're playing it correct after the flop by betting a good portion of the pot even if you miss. If you get called on the flop and you are in position, you might want to check the turn and get a free card. You advertise that you were drawing and just trying to get a free card, but not necessarily AK. This might give you a chance to represent something if another flush card comes up, but I wouldn't recommend this play too often. If you hit your A or K you obviously bet, and probably take down a big pot.It is a very difficult hand to play, especially in tournament situations. This is what I try to do, I hope it helps.

Ok this is how I play big slick in early position. Call. No raising 3xbb just call. If someone raises behind me the option of a re-raise is there depending on the type of player. If no raises I get to see a cheap flop and if I miss it's easy to walk away from.

I do the best I can to make sure that all the chips don't go all in preflop. Raising is correct, and a small reraise is usually correct. Obviously it depends on chip stacks, but I don't like to get TOO much invested in the hand preflop.
I play $5 multis, people will move allin with AT-AK, 22-AA and sometimes even any suited overcards. The way i play, if i have an advantage, i'll play it for all my chips early on it the tournament, if you double up, you've got a nice amount of chips to play with and can make plays you otherwise couldnt with an average stack. If you get allin, sure you run into AA/KK sometimes, but more often than not, its another A with a worse kicker which you dominate, or at worse, a coinflip vs another pair. I tend to go for these chance in MTTs, not sure if its the right way to play, but i've been making it into the money a fair bit recently.

I think going all in preflop with A/K in a tourney (unless you are short stacked) is a bad move. I mean you don't have anything with A/K. Its a good drawing hand but it isn't a hand by itself. JMO but I don't like the move.As far as playing the hand in tournies I usually raise 3-4x BB in any pos. if I am the 1st on in the pot. If I don't get reraised and the flop comes rags I bet the pot (not 1/2 the whole pot). I think betting half showes weakness in this situation. If I get raised preflop and the flop is rags and my opponent bets half the pot the first hand that comes to mind is A/K. I just think a full pot bet gives your opponent more to consider. Now if my pot bet gets called unless I hit an A or K on the turn I am done with the hand.

Ok i think this is a really bad hand for me right now. I tend to mainly play SnGs or MTTs now (NLHE) and when i get ak i raise 3-4x the bb if im first in the pot, reraise anyone else whose raised, and if raised after i raise, i reraise/put them allin. If the money goes in preflop, im ok with that.However, i seem to have problems when i get one caller, and the flop comes rags. I usually bet out about half the pot, but so many times im either getting raised, or called. When im called i tend to check the turn and then get scared out of the hand by a bet.How should i play AK when i don't hit the flop? Is it too inviting for people to steal if i check, or do i have to bet out something to see where i am?
Easy - SLOW DOWNYou don't have enough chips in an online SNG to get married to AK that badly. Raise, if you get re-raised CALL AND SEE THE FLOP.AK is a great hand because of what it can become, not because of what it already is. Early in SNG's is is almost impossible to bluff people on the flop. I've had much more success checking a missed flop even with big cards, and taking it down on the turn with another rag. (assuming your opponent checked the flop as well)

From someone who plays tournaments a good deal -Basically, echoing what everyone else has said, don't overvalue your big slick . Raise preflop or call a raise preflop - I wouldn't reraise, as bad players will often go all in with 88 or 10 10 at this point, and then you're stuck with a tough call. If you're not in position, give it a healthy pot-sized bet on the flop, and often this will cause two overcards to drop their hands, or even a small pocket lower than the board. If they raise you, fold. If you're in position, and they give a smallish bet (1/3 of pot or less) you can raise it to pot-sized; if you have a decent chip size, you can also smooth call it and try to spike an ace or king. Do the latter only if you have them covered by a good amount, as their turn bet will definitely be larger once they have a better read on you.Incidentally - when you do hit an ace or king on a SAFE board (no flush/straight draws) - if it gets checked to you, try a minimum bet. This will sometimes induce the large pocket pairs to bluff raise you, thinking you have a rag pair and no ace. I think I've perfected this move through many a tournament. Of course, if they smooth call then put in a real bet on the turn. Do this once a tournament, as you won't be able to pull it off again afterwards.

i definitely agree with what everyone said about this hand so far, especially what buchkoba bolded...nothing said about AK could be more accurate. However, i think one of the most important and overlooked factors here is what is the type of tournament...i mean, playing a 10 handed sng on partypoker is much different than playing in the wsop (no, im not referring to whats at stake or anything like that) Playing in the sng, everyone is shortstacked before the tourney starts, and it gets worse from there...in many cases, the tournament is over in a matter of 60 hands. So while being in a real tournament you don't wan to push ak and risk your tourney life on a coinflip...at an sng i think its perfectly okay. ONLY if youre the first one to move in and there is a reasonable chance youre opponent may fold...this way, you still have fold equity. Calling an all in early on with ak is still not a horrible play but i'd prefer to be the first one in. The simple fact is, in an online sng like at partypoker, you HAVE GOT TO GET CHIPS AND GET THEM FAST...you can't really PLAY cards that much...hell, those tourneys turn into all in preflop battles anyways by the 4th level...thats only 30 hands deep into the tournament!! In conclusion, while i definitely agree with the fact that its still a drawing proposiiton and you shouldn't get married to it preflop...it really depends on your situation and how necessary it is to get chips RIGHT NOW...Ak preflop is a great position to be in, with only perhaps another 15 hands before the blinds start to gobble you up, you may not have another chance at doubling up. Another reason i like this play of moving all in ....is because at the sng's too many people will call an all in with any ACE....and if that happens.....you're in absolutely beautiful shape to take control of the table...