This happens often enough to make me realize I'm not sure what to do.New table, no reads.***Pacific Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed)***Preflop: Leaf is MP3 with [Ad], [4d]. UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 (poster) checks, Leaf calls, CO calls, button folds, SB completes, BB checks.Flop: (7 SB) [Ah], [9s], [5s] (7 players)5 players check, Leaf checks, CO betsEasy C/F or am I supposed to lead out into a 7-handed pot with TP-no-kicker now that I have no draw? Do I call the position bet with TPNK?

CO may have bet only because he was last to act and nobody else did, so you can't automatically put him on an ace. UTG check/called, so I don't peg him for an ace, most likely a lower pair or a flush draw. If he had an ace, would he not have check/raised here?With the flush draw possible, and quite possibly the best hand right now, I think you have to raise here, rather than just calling and possibly giving a free card. I think folding is better than calling in this instance. :wink:

CO may have bet only because he was last to act and nobody else did, so you can't automatically put him on an ace.  UTG check/called, so I don't peg him for an ace, most likely a lower pair or a flush draw.  If he had an ace, would he not have check/raised here?With the flush draw possible, and quite possibly the best hand right now, I think you have to raise here, rather than just calling and possibly giving a free card.  I think folding is better than calling in this instance. :wink:
I think folding is better than calling as well. My problem with check/raising this flop is that all but two aces (A2, A3) has us beat. UTG could easily be check/calling with a less-weak ace. But you're right, we can't assume the worst, so do I check/raise the flop and bet/fold the turn (assuming no third spade)? What if UTG calls the flop raise and leads out at the turn? Or, if the flop raise is just called, and the turn bet is just called, do I fire another bullet on the river UI (again, assuming no spade hits)? As you can tell by my rambling, I really struggle with this scenario.

I think the key to this hand is betting on the flop. If it is checked to you with the ace i would put out a bet because this could give you a great deal of information. Anyone after you with an AT or better will most likely raise and anyone who calls in front is most likely on a draw and you have position on them. My fear here is not AJ - A9 as much as it is AX of spades. They will not come off this hand and in all likelihood without one of the three non spade fours you will be beat or best case scenario chopping. A better Ace in front of you may call on the flop, but if you are last to act and another spade comes there is always the ability to try and take them off their hand. I do not know why an ace in front would check this flop, but something like an A6 or A7 might especially if they have the Ace of spades. What actually transpired in this hand?

I think the key to this hand is betting on the flop.  If it is checked to you with the ace i would put out a bet because this could give you a great deal of information.  Anyone after you with an AT or better will most likely raise and anyone who calls in front is most likely on a draw and you have position on them.        My fear here is not AJ - A9 as much as it is AX of spades.  They will not come off this hand and in all likelihood without one of the three non spade fours you will be beat or best case scenario chopping.   A better Ace in front of you may call on the flop, but if you are last to act and another spade comes there is always the ability to try and take them off their hand.  I do not know why an ace in front would check this flop, but something like an A6 or A7 might especially if they have the Ace of spades.       What actually transpired in this hand?
What transpired in this hand is irrelevant. It is the play that matters, not the results. I am still thinking on this matter and will advise on some further comments later today if I can... :wink:

i don't see a point in playing this hand any further. You started the hand hoping to hit a flush draw, Ace with atleast one of your suit so you might hit a backdoor flush, or two pair. You hit just the ace with a horrible kicker. I might think about raising the flop if UTG didn't call CO's bet. Since you have no reads at the table....fold. Maybe I'm wrong. I stopped playing A-suited cards...but in this situation with so much dead money in the pot preflop and position I would of played it too.....but I think I would of folded the flop. just my thoughts

Another key fact to this hand is the fact of being in worst position if you just call. What happens when the four of spades falls? UTG bets out? put him on the spade draw, do you call? If you call trying to boat on the river what happens when the CU raises turns into a bad situation. I Was wondering what transpired in the rest of the hand or the turn...... The results per se are not what I'm interested in, but I'm thinking of a variety of situations that could occur on the turn and am curious.

Well, I agree that I probably should've led out on the flop with TP ... oh well ... here's how it played out ...I folded.Turn: (4.5BB) [Jd] (2 players)UTG checks, CO bets, UTG calls.River: (6.5BB) [Ks] (2 players)UTG checks, CO checks.UTG shows [ Ac 8h ].CO mucks.