At, Hu, M=6 In Bb

Villain had been quiet and tight all game, but then opened up andpushed a lot when he hit the Orange Zone (<10 times the starting pot, for those who "don't speak M") HU. I was thus a little wary when he just completed the blind here:PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t400 (2 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: FlopTurnRiver)Hero (t3870)Button (t5130)Preflop: Hero is BB with Tdiamond.gif, Aclub.gif. Button calls t200, Hero...?Without any reads, this would be an auto-push OOP. But as I said, I am suspicious. I'm not sure how I should actually adjust my play in response to this suspicion though.

If he raises standard, then can he still get away from a push by villain? I don't think a standard raise is an option here. I say you check itEdit: I think we can get away with a 1200 chip raise but I'm at the cut- off between 1200 raise or checking it.

HU this could be anywhere from a check to a push. Theres too much feel to HU that cant be captured in "hes been aggressive since M<10". If this were the first hand HU sp there are no reads I would push.

I think we're trying to think a bit deeper than that dude...
To be fair to tripdeuces, I did--despite my uneasiness--shove them in. I was basically following his logic: A10 is a huge hand HU, I'm the shortstack approaching the Red Zone, so I've got to be a pushbot even though villain had not simply completed from the button since the blinds had gotten us both into the Orange Zone.Results: he flipped over KK, which held up, and I was done. So, in the future, if someone is either pushing or folding on the button HU and suddenly just calls, I should probably check, and refuse to put money in the pot unless I hit the flop hard?
So, in the future, if someone is either pushing or folding on the button HU and suddenly just calls, I should probably check, and refuse to put money in the pot unless I hit the flop hard?
You got it, your read was right on.
(<10 times the starting pot, for those who "don't speak M")
Is that in reference to me? :club:
seeing as you'll be oop the rest of the hand i think you need to put in a standard raise here.
Why would you want to inflate a pot when you're out of position, and suspicious that we could be dominated?I think 16x the BB is a little much to be shoving in with A 10. HU I like to bring it in for a small raise in position, and not raise when I'm out of position. Since you're more likely to win the pot when you're on the button, you want those pots to be bigger than when you're OOP. That's just my theory.
HU I like to bring it in for a small raise in position, and not raise when I'm out of position. Since you're more likely to win the pot when you're on the button, you want those pots to be bigger than when you're OOP. That's just my theory.
Though it doesn't apply in this case obviously, the reason you want to make a good raise OOP pf with a good hand HU, is because you want to end the hand as quickly as possible, to negate the fact that you are OOP.HoH II covers this quite extensively.

Slacker,His limp doesn't have to mean monster, but it should certainly make you proceed with caution. If you wanted to raise, a 2.5-3x raise should test him. He probably would have shoved at that point and we coudl get away from it. I prefer checking with your read though.

Though it doesn't apply in this case obviously, the reason you want to make a good raise OOP pf with a good hand HU, is because you want to end the hand as quickly as possible, to negate the fact that you are OOP.HoH II covers this quite extensively.
But in general, you're going to get called by a player who wants to use his position to his advantage. Then you wind up playing a bigger pot OOP.If the blinds are 100-200 and you're playing HU against a limper, you can play your OOP pots for 400 a pot, and if you make it 500 on the button everytime, you're playing 1000 pots when you have positional advantage. I know I may be going against the bible of tournament poker here, but do you see my point? I like to get more money in the pot when I have an edge. HU, I believe the edge of position trumps the edge of good cards.
But in general, you're going to get called by a player who wants to use his position to his advantage. Then you wind up playing a bigger pot OOP.If the blinds are 100-200 and you're playing HU against a limper, you can play your OOP pots for 400 a pot, and if you make it 500 on the button everytime, you're playing 1000 pots when you have positional advantage. I know I may be going against the bible of tournament poker here, but do you see my point? I like to get more money in the pot when I have an edge. HU, I believe the edge of position trumps the edge of good cards.
Did I say I don't like to use position when playing heads up?Aside from this specific read, you have a monster hand heads up. You want to make raise to take the lead, negate being OOP, and end the pot as quickly as possible.
Did I say I don't like to use position when playing heads up?Aside from this specific read, you have a monster hand heads up. You want to make raise to take the lead, negate being OOP, and end the pot as quickly as possible.
Right. You don't do it with the same range you'd raise with on the button.And NET, I didn't have 16 times the BB here--I had less than ten, and there were antes. Despite the serious differences between poker authors in many respects, they would generally agree that this is push-fold territory. But "fold" also includes "check-fold", which--given this read--is what I should have done. He was pushing so much I could have just waited and called him when I had a strong hand (since this read suggested to me that he didn't push his strongest hands) or pushed myself when the time seemd more ripe.

Ha, I pulled a Borat without meaning to.You have good hand, you want to make raise, it's ni-eece.Sorry, carry on.

Ha, I pulled a Borat without meaning to.You have good hand, you want to make raise, it's ni-eece.
LOL, verrah ni-eece. I like you. I like sex.
Right. You don't do it with the same range you'd raise with on the button.And NET, I didn't have 16 times the BB here--I had less than ten, and there were antes. Despite the serious differences between poker authors in many respects, they would generally agree that this is push-fold territory. But "fold" also includes "check-fold", which--given this read--is what I should have done. He was pushing so much I could have just waited and called him when I had a strong hand (since this read suggested to me that he didn't push his strongest hands) or pushed myself when the time seemd more ripe.
if your M is under 10, i dont see you finding a better time to push. you dont have long to wait. you probably wont find a better time to push in the next 10-20 hands, and you really need to make that sooner to make doubling up mean something. i think by "check folding given your read"you really meant "check folding given what happened"if he's been making raises almost every hand or so, he should make another one here and hope you have a hand you want to make a stand with.
i think by "check folding given your read"you really meant "check folding given what happened"
That's definitely a valid criticism. But I'm being completely honest when I say that even before I found out he had KK. it seemed very odd that he suddenly just completed the blind after the way he had been playing up to that point.