Home Game Point System

At my weekly home game we are trying to organize a points system that will last 4 weeks. Something similar to poker superstars on FSN, but not too similar. Basically, we are hoping to just give points based on which place you come in and at the end of the 4 weeks the top 3 point leaders (out of a total of 10 players) will be awarded different increments of money. This is on top of money that will be awarded to first place for each of the 4 weeks. Below is the point system that I figured we'd use, pretty basic:1st - 10 pts2nd - 9 pts3rd - 8 pts4th - 7 pts5th - 6 pts6th - 5 pts7th - 4 pts8th - 3 pts9th - 2 pts10th - 1 ptSo I am looking for any input on this point system. Does it look like one that will produce an exciting 4 week tourney, or can anyone suggest a better point system for a 10 player, 4 week tournament?Any input or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

use pokerstars' formula:

Points = 10 * [sqrt(n)/sqrt(k)]* [1+log(b+0.25)]Where:n is the number of entrantsk is the place of finish (k=1 for the first-place finisher, and so on)b is the buy-in amount in dollars (excluding administrative fee). For freerolls the buy-in is $0, and for FPP tournaments 1 FPP is counted as $0.05.
they even have an excel spreadsheet for download here.

In my league, we throw in $60 with $20 for 2 tournys and $20 for the final tourny pool. We give points like you say and make each point worth $50 worth of chips for the final tourny. We play 6 matches and you can throw out your worst score if you play all 6. You can play as many or as few of the 6 as you want. It makes for a fun league and gives everyone a chance to miss a week if something comes up.

This may seem like a fun and great idea now, but once the losers in your game start to realize they are losers and start to think about the amount of money they're donating to you, you might see it differently. Most people who lose at poker think they're actually breaking even or maybe winning a little. I don't think I've ever met anyone who admits they're a big loser. Once you start keeping track for everyone, they no longer have the option of living that fantasy and they may quit playing altogether. I'm not trying to rain on your parade, but it's something to think about. I've seen games ruined by this type of thing. Of course it's great to boost your ego by being recognized as the best player in your group, but it might not be in your best interests financially. You know your game better than I do, maybe you're a group of degenerates who just want to gamble, but just be aware of the reality check this might create for the losers.

This may seem like a fun and great idea now, but once the losers in your game start to realize they are losers and start to think about the amount of money they're donating to you, you might see it differently. Most people who lose at poker think they're actually breaking even or maybe winning a little. I don't think I've ever met anyone who admits they're a big loser. Once you start keeping track for everyone, they no longer have the option of living that fantasy and they may quit playing altogether. I'm not trying to rain on your parade, but it's something to think about. I've seen games ruined by this type of thing. Of course it's great to boost your ego by being recognized as the best player in your group, but it might not be in your best interests financially. You know your game better than I do, maybe you're a group of degenerates who just want to gamble, but just be aware of the reality check this might create for the losers.
This is a good point. I don't think that a 4 week long points tourney with keeping track of everyone's results is going to make anyone want to quit the weekly game, but I started keeping track of who the winners were each week for the past 6 weeks just for fun. So that we could see who the more consistent players are at the end of the year, but I don't know about that idea now. I might "accidentaly" lose that file. It's a pretty bad idea come to think of it.