Grinder, Esfandiari, Seif Cut From Team Ub/ap

snooptodd- It really boils down to much of this being test case territory. If people are willing to risk being "the tested", then they can safely adhere to the interpretation you posted above.The language of the statute that address "anyone" and "the proceeds" very much makes this a law that has absolute potential to reach further than financial institutions.I am of the opinion that, based on the Wire Act and it's most recent modifications. they have footing to really screw poker sites if they choose. Paid employees of online poker sites could very easily (and conceivably) be targeted to "make an example". One thing about arguing law on the internet- it is a whole different world than arguing it in front of a judge who is making abstract decisions in real time. When ones well-thought interpretations and rock-solid understanding of the statutory nomenclature are shot down by a real Judge in a real courtroom who simply says "I disagree with your assessment of this law", it is an awfully frustrating thing- and it's just how it happens in the legal system.Y- "Buh, buh, but Judge! I read on the internet that it only applies to financial institutions!"J- "See this line where it says "anyone"? Well, that would mean your poker website."
There have been no modifications to the Wire Act. The UIGEA is a separate entity. I have yet to talk to a lawyer (and I've talk to a lot of them) who believes that the UIGEA gives the DOJ power to prosecute anyone outside of financial institutions. Yes, there are states that have passed laws, but there is no federal law. That said, I agree that I wouldn't take the risk of arrest and it's a proactive move on the part of AP and UB ... especially since all federal judges know they better toe the Bush line if they want to keep their jobs.
There have been no modifications to the Wire Act.
I may have made an error here. If I have, I stand up to it and apologize.Are we both talking about H.R. 4411 "Internet Gambling Prohibition and Enforcement Act" ?(as an aside, Federal Judges can't be fired. They are lifetime appointments. US Attorneys are another matter)
I may have made an error here. If I have, I stand up to it and apologize.Are we both talking about H.R. 4411 "Internet Gambling Prohibition and Enforcement Act" ?(as an aside, Federal Judges can't be fired. They are lifetime appointments. US Attorneys are another matter)
No we're talking about the bill that actually passedAbout H.R. 4411This bill was proposed in a previous session of Congress. Sessions of Congress last two years, and at the end of each session all proposed bills and resolutions that haven't passed are cleared from the books. This bill never became law.
No we're talking about the bill that actually passedAbout H.R. 4411This bill was proposed in a previous session of Congress. Sessions of Congress last two years, and at the end of each session all proposed bills and resolutions that haven't passed are cleared from the books. This bill never became law.
DOH!!
I'm trying to figure out what this all means....I play primarily at UB..If I'm reading this right, UB may be closed to the US soon as well?
What it means is that Grinder, Esfandiari and Seif are no longer repping UB. Anything else is pure speculation. Though it seems clear that UB will be marketing less toward US players and more toward Europe.

ok, thanks for the response. I was just thinking how ironic it would be for me since i'm trying to get all my bonus bucks converted on UB and to have it close and not be able to get my money out. Were those pro's fired for some dispute? Or just to curtail any legal action against them?

No we're talking about the bill that actually passed About H.R. 4411 This bill was proposed in a previous session of Congress. Sessions of Congress last two years, and at the end of each session all proposed bills and resolutions that haven't passed are cleared from the books. This bill never became law.
For the benefit of others who've found this discussion interesting, see http://www.ipmall.info/hosted_resources/cr...2418-061115.pdf It's by far the most readable, comprehensive, and seemingly factual analysis of the various pieces of legislation surrounding this topic that I've found to date.