pokerstars mtt, blinds were 100/200. average stack is 5600. i'm sitting on the button with about 8500 chips and QQUTG is sitting with 22000 chips and limps (i was not worried about his limp because he was a terribly weak player who had gotten lucky and built a stack). the player to my right raises to 600 and i push. correct play?

Options you had:1. Fold. No way.2. Smooth call with queens on the button. Hell no.3. Min raise to 1000. Weak play from the button.4. Raise 3x the previous bet (make it 1800). Leaves you with 6700 to play postflop so you can go all in or check/fold, depending on the flop.5. Push as you did.Options 4 and 5 are the only ones to make sense to me. Against high quality players, I don't like pushing here as you are a coinflip against AK and hurting against the two other hands likely to call. If UTG is very loose aggressive, enticing him to win another big pot with a dominated hand is a nice move. I imagine the cutoff would only call with a monster.Pushing here isn't a bad play, but it depends on how likely UTG is to call your push with an inferior hand.

thanks for all the replies. as i said, UTG was an EXTREMELY poor player, whom i outplayed post flop over the course of about an hour to build my stack from 2000 to about 7000. it turned out that UTG limped with A3o and the other person had KJ, both who called my all in. Cards came K7KA10 and i was done for. :]

thanks for all the replies.  as i said, UTG was an EXTREMELY poor player, whom i outplayed post flop over the course of about an hour to build my stack from 2000 to about 7000.  it turned out that UTG limped with A3o and the other person had KJ, both who called my all in.  Cards came K7KA10 and i was done for.  :]
This doesn't make any sense. You said that UTG was an "EXTREMELY poor player, whom i outplayed post flop." Explain to me then why you decided to push pre-flop for a huge overbet. How do you expect to outplay him post-flop when there are no more chips left to bet? This beat seems like it was inevitable by K-J, but I still prefer the raise to 1800 pre-flop and seeing what happens then. You can't outplay anybody when you don't have any chips left.
thanks for all the replies.  as i said, UTG was an EXTREMELY poor player, whom i outplayed post flop over the course of about an hour to build my stack from 2000 to about 7000.  it turned out that UTG limped with A3o and the other person had KJ, both who called my all in.  Cards came K7KA10 and i was done for.  :]
After reading that, I definitely think raising to 1800 was the better play. Not because of the result, but because of how easily you had been building chips on postflop play. No reason to change gears at that point.Better luck next time!
This doesn't make any sense. You said that UTG was an "EXTREMELY poor player, whom i outplayed post flop." Explain to me then why you decided to push pre-flop for a huge overbet. How do you expect to outplay him post-flop when there are no more chips left to bet? This beat seems like it was inevitable by K-J, but I still prefer the raise to 1800 pre-flop and seeing what happens then. You can't outplay anybody when you don't have any chips left.
i think id have to aggree that a raise to 1800 probably would have been a better move, especially because if i just got a call, i would have slowed the **** down with the K7K flop. i guess what i was hoping was either taking the small pot right there, or getting an isolated call from one of them. a lesson learned i guess -.-

How many chips did the person who bet 600 have? If he has more chips than you, and its early in a tournament, where there are still a LOT of weak players you can't afford betting 1800 to see an A or K on the flop. If he's got... 4000 chips, re-raise to 3000, Its a strategy I see a lot of online tournament pro's use, basically setting them knowing your going to call the extra 1k. I would have probobly done the same thing you did, happy to pick up the 900 pot and adding to my stack. Really depends where this is happening in the tournament.