100/200nl easy game?

First I'm a huge fan of DN. I come on here every day and read his Journal and fool around on the site. I deposited and play on POker Mountain only because he endorsed and supports that site. He's without a doubt my favorate player and I think he's a great guy and pretty down to earth (most of the time). But, (did anyone see that but comeing,lol) does anyone think saying the 100/200nl game is easy makes him sound pretty arrogant? Anyway could just walk in and win 5 or 10k huh. Personally I think it's probably a pretty tough game and many of the regulars in it, while probably unknows to most poker fans, are probably pros themselves (I have no idea so I could be way off here). I think sometimes people mistake a smaller game where you could go in win or lose and not have much riding on it as easy. There is no stress and you can pretty much play with impunity. Sure if DN drops 10k in that game it's like one bet to him in the big game and he could make it up in one hand. However if his bankroll was only 100 or 200k I don't think he'd be singing the same tune.I know most of the big players have egos to match. I'm not really sure why DN would be any different. The game was so easy he only won 1k but that's cause he was just messing around right?This does not change the way I look at DN, he's still my favorate.

Guest SoulF

I agree with you completely. I also find it interesting that he says: "It's not the type of game where you are going to win $100,000 or anything like that". If you watch the 100/200 NL online games, you will see that it's not at all that uncommon for a player to win or loose more than 100k, and in the online games there is a maximum buy-in of 20k. I'm sure a live game without the buy-in cap plays significantly higher than that.

Meh, I'd cut Daniel a break. He's just writing from his own perspective, and I believe that he felt that the game was laughably easy for such "high limits." That's probably what he meant anyway. I don't think he meant to come off as c0cky, it was just his opinion on the matter.I agree that many good poker players have huge egos, but I don't sense Daniel as one of them. He just seems to be telling everything from how he sees it. Sometimes to us though, it may seem arrogant I guess.

right, and add to the fact that you're playing at such high altitudes, and 100-200's going to feel like play money thrown around the table. you just adjust to a certain level, and anything above that makes you nervous, and anything below it seems piddly.

I don't think he meant to come off as cocky either. I think if it was a 1000/2000 blind NL game he might not have said the same thing even if the same players were there since he could get stuck 100K to 200k pretty easy and that amount would mean something to him.I think it's common for people that play at higher limits to underestimate players at lower limits. Sure many times they are better but that does not mean that there are not some good players and maybe just maybe some that are up and coming that are even better. That's where the ego comes in. If you win it was obvious that you would but if you lose it's because you were just messing around.Again, I love DN, and I don't think any less of him or anything. I'm sure if he read my post he might rethink how he characterized the 100/200nl game. Then again, I don't want him to start editing or watering down his journal entries. I'd rather him say exactly what's on his mind. This is a public forum and he knows anything he says can be commented on.I actaully thought it was really funny that he was going after Allen Cunningham. How bad would that suck if he was going after you.

Honestly..... I'm sure the game can be pretty soft and Daniel was right in what he said.... I have played in some very soft 25-50 NL games where guys dont even understand the rules yet.You must undestand there are people with money out there that don't feel big playing 3-6 or 5-10. They wanna feel like a good player.... (like on TV) TSN or for you americans ESPN all stars!Don't get me wrong therre is most likely alot of pros that play 100/200 NL just to milk the lambs but in general I could see it being soft.

Well after reading through this thread and giving my comments some thought... the game was freakin' easy! Other than Allen and my buddy, the rest of the guys in the game played terribly weak. The limit had nothing to do with it, although I was genuinely surprised to see so many bad players playing in a big game. Now I'm not saying the game would be easy for you, all, but it was extremely soft in comparison to the games I play in. It was virtually void of pros.

Well after reading through this thread and giving my comments some thought... the game was freakin' easy!
That could be one of the funniest things I have ever heard daniel say next to the 'what a sicko' comment. :club:
...Now I'm not saying the game would be easy for you, all, but ...
Come on Daniel, you are so close to getting a little Dixie in your soul, just reach for that apostrophe key when you start to type "you,all" and make it y'all. Trust me, it'll feel good.I'll even start ending a few sentences with "eh?" to help meet you halfway. :-) Using y'all is fun, eh?
  • 2 weeks later...
right, and add to the fact that you're playing at such high altitudes, and 100-200's going to feel like play money thrown around the table. you just adjust to a certain level, and anything above that makes you nervous, and anything below it seems piddly.
I think a good analogy would be a long distance drive...when you've been cruising on the freeway at 85mph and then you hit a city limit where you have to throttle back to 65...it seems as though you are driving in quicksand and going S....L....O...W.In reality you are really going fast, it just doesn't feel that way. He's been desensitized by the high limits he plays, so the small stuff (to him) just doesn't seem consequential.I'm sure those that play $100/$200 would feel the same way if they went online and played a $.01/$.02 game.